Page 29 of 41 FirstFirst ... 192021222324252627282930313233343536373839 ... LastLast

Thread: E-Tec, Optimax, 4 Stroke? Looking at 115hp range

Re: E-Tec, Optimax, 4 Stroke? Looking at 115hp range

Shakey my family member has special needs mate so we need to find a suitable house we had the contacts to help us move but we need to rearrange things again it's not easy to find a rental for someone who has about 5 to 8 percent ability in walking of a normal person there are a lot of requirements we need

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    Shakey my family member has special needs mate so we need to find a suitable house we had the contacts to help us move but we need to rearrange things again it's not easy to find a rental for someone who has about 5 to 8 percent ability in walking of a normal person there are a lot of requirements we need
    No good my friend. Would be very hard in your situation trying to find a rental that suits.

Good luck with everything

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish mobile app

It has been 1 full month since i accepted the return from the Frenchie he is claiming to ebay that i have received the EMM back i have received nothing his refund has been sitting waiting the part getting returned, he took the full month to tell ebay at the last minute it was returned he is ...... me side ways the AH, he gets to keep the EMM and his $500 I'm pissed i have asked ebay to step in

for the past 3 weeks paypal has blocked my transactions because of this bs and i am still in minus $500 on my paypal account this is ridiculous

Sounds like he's a grub Gazza. Ask for con note details and keep ebay/ paypal fully informed by email so there's a paper trail.

I'm pissed Scott just getting the runaround now

What a pos he is claiming to ebay my engine was stolen i now need to show proof of purchase and the shop i bought it from didnt put the serial number on the receipt

the problem was the flop had no proof of purchase over in his country so Evinrude wouldn't touch his engine with my EMM on it

Trying to find motivation guys i have suffered from major depression (diagnosed and treated for 11 years so far) for most of my life so its hard to get up in the day and actually find the energy to work on my projects and a kick to the balls is my elderly mother who i partly care for is dying slowly with heart failure and her dr wants to put her on dialysis, my life is just a down down than a slight up than another down its a real kick to the balls

today i finally found the energy to move the trailer from the front yard to the back yard and i broke down the crate, last night i ordered the work shop manual i know all the how to's just a little bit of info needed on the timing chain tension and specs for cam cap bolt torques and sequence were needed i found it really hard to find a workshop model for my engine managed to get one off of Ebay Canada in ZIP/PDF file by email was the only place i could find one

the powerhead is quiet large as u can imagine to give u an idea it looks small in the pictures but that powerhead is the size of a small car engine minus the gearbox i thought i was going to be able to lift it my self as the Etec powerhead was light as piss this bugger looks heavy

i also thing i may have been given a old worn powerhead which sucks the box is labelled as 2009 but i found a used rag inside the box and the brown sticky tape on the front of the crate is the same sticky tape over the intake ports which is most defiantly not a 10 year old sticky tape its another kick to the balls but i will power on if i have to rebuild it so be it i bought it for $1200 delivered engine $800, engines value running $5500 so it leaves a bit of room financially for a rebuild if needed

i plan on swapping the cams over even tho the workshop manual states the same cam lobe measurements from 75hp thru to 115hp

Hey Gazz,
    Life is not all what we hope it will be sometimes. Some get dealt with curve balls that others would not contemplate living through.
    Throwing yourself back into these projects may just be that tonic needed at the minute Gazza.
    So, time to get cracking with it, winter is approaching, the fishings slowing down, I need some night time reading........
    I sincerely hope your mother's health improves, you need to be there and be strong for what ever "curve balls" she may encounter.
    Best of luck mate

Col

Col my mum keeps asking about the boat if i am making any progress i think she is worried if she goes down hill i will have to move into a small one bedroom house with cheap rent and wont have anywhere to put all my stuff she is seeing me pour thousands of dollars into the boat/motor/trailer and she doesn't want me to loose it all, so far I'm about $6000 into this project, she is pushing for me to sell some of my possessions and lighten my load

see i don't go to my mum's doctor appointments so i don't know to the degree on her health i can only go by what she tells me and i think she withdraws telling me to the full extent so i don't get further into depression

yeah i agree winter is nearly here this is the time to start working, financially i am limited from here on so no more big spends as i am repaying my debts just most of the work here on is physical i just have to stay in a some what positive state and stay motivated

hopping to strip this block tomorrow afternoon and have a bare powerhead for removal than i will have to wait untill my cousin can help me lift the old one off than its a bit of juggling swapping the cams than getting my cousin back around to lift the new powerhead onto the leg I'll take pictures as i progress

Guys whats your opinions, Mechanically i am lazy as af at the moment my last rebuild was a Suzuki DRZ400E and i have had zero mechanical motivation since rebuilding that bike i have contacted a marine mechanic on Gumtree and was quoted $500 to swap the powerheads over i was thinking of getting it done than getting the Mercury in running condition and possibly selling it being a 2009 model 90hp 4 stroke its a highly sort after model i was thinking of asking around 5k and possibly look for a older model 200hp 4 stroke Yamaha or a Honda or something like that in a carby model for around 5k 6k in the middle of no where meaning i will travel interstate to pick one up

any opinions?

Depends on whether you get charged $500 and it goes OK, be a bugger to pay to have it done and he finds other "things" he can charge for, or it doesn't go as planned, I guess I would try to get motivated and give it a go myself, for $500 you could buy an engine hoist, or build a good stand and still have change, not too thrilled about carby 4 strokes myself, probably wouldn't be many around these days, especially in that HP, that's a lot of HP and weight for that boat.

Noel thanks, What hp do u think would be suitable? the 90 i have can push anything from a 17 foot boat to pontoons an barges its just about propping but i want a suitable engine rather than what it can realistically move or push

yeah that second hand powerhead was a gamble but i priced parts at the time and just a empty block was going to set me back $850 this powerhead was $1200 and about $100 in gaskets and filter, i haven't factored in anything else really just took another mans word it works

the powerhead on the trailer weighs 130kg that is what the shipping company said it weighed I'm unsure how i would go about lifting it on and off as it sits on my stand the powrhead has 4 or six long studs that protrude out of the powerhead and down into the mid section don't think my hoist has the capability to lift that high

i carried the Etec powerhead by my self that thing weighed next to nothing but this mercury weighs a lot more

if i were to keep the 90 i would still need to either modify my transom for L shaft or make the pod as panned, was just having second thoughts about it being a realistic engine for a 5.7 meter boat and 200hp 4 strokes selling for the same price roughly as i would get for this 90

the quoted $500 was for labor of swapping over powerheads and swapping over the intake camshaft from old to new powerhead

Am I missing something? Didn'y you rule out anything 150 hp or bigger due to weight? And older model 4 strokes were heavier still - and you are looking at 200 hp! Here's your first post:

E-Tec, Optimax, 4 Stroke? Looking at 115hp range

maybe be getting a bit a head of my self but some luck is going my way and i may try to snag a good used outboard for my Baron, budget will be $5000 i aint rich so it is a lot of money i need to make a good choice and only once

looking at possibly E-Tec or Optimax's on the internet which one of the two would u prefer? around the 2005-2007 year range 115hp possibly 130hp need to keep it 4 cylinder for a lighter transom weight so no 150's or bigger

do u think there will be cheaper deals in coming months or harder to source? if i can find a cheaper engine means i can buy the pod instead o building one saves time possibly a month or two

Bill yeah i didnt want to go to a 6 cylinder due to the weight on the transom but one bloke has assured me i could hand 2x 250 four strokes off my transom the way i built it i donno if he was just taking the piss.. the reason i didnt want yo go a big outboard was because i dont know my ability to fibreglass and its strength but i guess if its going to be a 180kg 90hp or 230kg 200hp it will fall off either way if its going to fall off

I have had a lot of time to reconsider what engine to put on her a lot of research and seeing whats on gumtree and what those guys are running

The capacity sticker i removed from the boat was rated 100hp but that was not a builders plate or build plate stamped so i can only guess

I have only owned and used a 140hp 70hp and smaller engines so i dont have any experience around that 90hp mark

I had the 140hp Evinrude 1994 on a 5.65m Swift Craft that was built in the mid 1990's the 140hp seemed plenty but this 90hp i have is a four stroke could be a lot less wild to the Evinrude

If my 90hp Mercury is a good engine there may be the slightest chance of finding a used 140hp Suzuki interstate over this coming summer

I just need the boat to have good authority while offshore

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    Bill yeah i didnt want to go to a 6 cylinder due to the weight on the transom but one bloke has assured me i could hand 2x 250 four strokes off my transom the way i built it i donno if he was just taking the piss.. the reason i didnt want yo go a big outboard was because i dont know my ability to fibreglass and its strength but i guess if its going to be a 180kg 90hp or 230kg 200hp it will fall off either way if its going to fall off

I have had a lot of time to reconsider what engine to put on her a lot of research and seeing whats on gumtree and what those guys are running

The capacity sticker i removed from the boat was rated 100hp but that was not a builders plate or build plate stamped so i can only guess

I have only owned and used a 140hp 70hp and smaller engines so i dont have any experience around that 90hp mark

I had the 140hp Evinrude 1994 on a 5.65m Swift Craft that was built in the mid 1990's the 140hp seemed plenty but this 90hp i have is a four stroke could be a lot less wild to the Evinrude

If my 90hp Mercury is a good engine there may be the slightest chance of finding a used 140hp Suzuki interstate over this coming summer

I just need the boat to have good authority while offshore
    There's more to it than what the transom can bear. Too much weight can have an adverse effect on the overall ride and handling of the boat. Also too much hp can cause problems.

PS: Older 200 hp 6 cylinder 4 strokes weigh around 270 kg.