Page 17 of 41 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718192021222324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: E-Tec, Optimax, 4 Stroke? Looking at 115hp range

Re: E-Tec, Optimax, 4 Stroke? Looking at 115hp range

Mate I love your passion in trying to get things built and fixed cheaper than buying new , I personally admire your determination to prove you can do it and I am sure you can .
    Just a point on motors ,I have had heaps to do with rebuilding motors on everything from locomotive engines in HAULPACKS , motor bike engines car engines hell even whipper snippers .
    But the most temperamental of all have been boat motors and I have found that they are way reliable UNTIL they suffer catastrophic failure and then when that happens they never seem to recover no matter how much love you give them .
    The problem with them is your always waiting for the next problem and trust me the problems seem to keep coming . Lots of luck in your quest to get back on the water with this boat as it’s interesting to watch the whole thing come together, take care and prove us all wrong I admire your determination. Matt
    A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......

the saying “poor man pays twice” sets off alarm bells with some of the posts, but if it’s just for a hobbie to keep busy then good stuff!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mercury 115ct going strong😁

This is one of the powerheads im looking at but the seller doesn't reply to emails https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Mercury-...d/223333796543 i need it shipped to Sydney and cannot get in contact with the seller

also this engine can be remaped from 90hp to 115hp

Kind of scares me that a seller from another state can't be contacted before the sale, how will it go after if something is wrong?

That is why i haven't bid on it Noel keep waiting for a reply, the seller has been a member since 2003 but its sketchy always worried about being conned from people far away ie: NT, WA, FNQ seems to be ripper deals everywhere on gumtree but it raises some concern weather its all genuine

there is another powerhead out of Canada for $1400 plus postage but i'm not sure how customs will clean the block when it goes thru inspection as a used marine engine

http://www.iomarine.com.au

Call them pretty sure that’s them
    People only get conned by deals that are too good or placing too much faith in others

And re the Canada engine
    You arrange to clean it and get a cleaning certificate before it leaves Canada.

I imported a car head in and had it cleaned and certified free of asbestos in the uk
    Customs still sent it for testing and that cost $1300 even though none was found

They say it is in perfect order but there is no warranty and no way to see how it performs so you are taking their word for that. Also why would it be taken off a motor after 200 hrs?

Bill i think the guy selling it has purchased it for a blown engine he had perhaps its crated up professionally so he must have bought it from someone who deals with this kind of thing

I think no matter which powerhead i get i will pull it apart its only a 1 to 2 hour job just to inspect the crank journals and bearings and put some assembly lube on those bearings, i think even if i catch something that is worn and change it now it may extend the life of the powerhead plusstarting up a dry engine that has been in storage will likely cause damage unless i crank it over to build the oil pressure before starting it

The seller got back to me this afternoon he was on a interstate trip and didn't see the ebay msg's, if the powerhead is ok looks like i just snagged a good running engine for $2000 place that snoop dog theme here la la la snoop dawg haha

maybe counting my chickens to early but will see

okay thats interesting if you can remap from 90 to 115 hp . jobs done then .

Yeah apparently there is a mob in the USA who can remap the EFI 75/90 into 115hp in saying that the 90 shares the same block, head, valves but has different cam shafts but they are still able to boost it

They sell a unit where u can remap it your self to but its not cheap $1300 usd

Need to find a cheap shipping company to pick up the powerhead from darwin and ship it down here, checked on e-go $350 smart send was about $230 quiet a bit of difference is shipping prices

Just removed the ecu and had a look the piston apears to have detached at the top of a stroke,nothing wrong with the big end all rotates smoothly so i would guess the head gasket has blown or head warped causing a hydro lock snapping the conrod

Ecu copped a hit as mentioned but it looks ok its just regular automotive silicon holding it together

Quote Originally Posted by catshark View Post
    okay thats interesting if you can remap from 90 to 115 hp . jobs done then .
    It's not quite that simple, for over a grand, you can get a "mild increase" there is differences between the 90-115 basic powerhead.

I think there is a few places here that do remapping too, have heard of one in QLD I think, and some auto speed shops do it too, pretty mixed results though I think.