Page 13 of 41 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617181920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: E-Tec, Optimax, 4 Stroke? Looking at 115hp range

Re: E-Tec, Optimax, 4 Stroke? Looking at 115hp range

Possibly. Not sure what is normal for that model but mine never ran that cool at high RPM with the leaky thermostat - was always around mid to high 70's c and only ran cooler at medium to high idle.

Yeah i am maybe thinking a hot piston in a cool bore going 5200rpm because the bores are tapered its smaller at the bottom of the cylinder and that is right where it pinched the side than snapped the rod from the friction and smashed to bits

looking at those screen shots it never over heated so it has to be a cold seizure i am hopping so, plus it let go 3 minutes after a cold engine put out a code so maybe the alarm was sounding? but going flat chat over 2-3 minutes u probably wouldn't have the reaction time to slow down before it let go

Rebuild should start in the next couple of weeks, huey pm me a price that is more than double the WSM kit from jetsport in QLD so i may go this aftermarket kit for $1250 thru huey was $2700

Few things playing on my mind about this etec two big ones are the crank and block repairer said that there will be metal fragments on the crank journals that cannt ve removed unless machined also after i rebuild this engine i will have put all my cash into it, etecs of all horse power ranges are known to have faulty fuel injectors that take out the piston and i am worried if i sink 2-2.5k into the rebuild and i have this problem i will be back to square one

In 4-5 weeks i will have 3-4k for another engine and if i were to part out this etec that extra cash could go towards a Optimax 135-175hp or a Honda 130hp

I would be shattered if i repaired the etec for it to blow up again due to something so tiny as a bad injector

Whats your thoughts?

I am not one bit doubting my rebuild skills just second guessing weather not replacing the crank and the known injector problem and keeping those parts in use is just leaving me thinking

Hi Gazza i am enjoying following all your threads, and i've found this one mind boggling. Its made me realise how complicated the newer 2 stroke technology has become and it seems to me that too many things could go wrong. I would prefer to stay with four stroke where at least there is oil in a sump. Admittedly anything can fail, however it appears with the advanced 2 stroke technology things are more delicate. I wouldn't be chasing 'good money after bad', no use riding the horse into the ground better to find another. Just my thoughts and i am no expert by any means in this are. Good luck will keep following with interest.

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    Few things playing on my mind about this etec two big ones are the crank and block repairer said that there will be metal fragments on the crank journals that cannt ve removed unless machined also after i rebuild this engine i will have put all my cash into it, etecs of all horse power ranges are known to have faulty fuel injectors that take out the piston and i am worried if i sink 2-2.5k into the rebuild and i have this problem i will be back to square one

In 4-5 weeks i will have 3-4k for another engine and if i were to part out this etec that extra cash could go towards a Optimax 135-175hp or a Honda 130hp

I would be shattered if i repaired the etec for it to blow up again due to something so tiny as a bad injector

Whats your thoughts?

I am not one bit doubting my rebuild skills just second guessing weather not replacing the crank and the known injector problem and keeping those parts in use is just leaving me thinking
    Gazza, this has been epic, lol. I feel for you BUT. This the classic case of male bravado, optimism and pigheadedness. Most of us males are guilty of these things when we get a head of steam. Just because we can doesnt mean we should. its a hard lesson i learned in business. You have to unlearn all the things you thought made you a man, lol. Sometimes we just jump in when discretion is the better part of valour. Your comments show that you are having second thoughts. Mate , go with your gut instinct, walk. You will never be 100% sure and i can read its eating at you. Your doubts will never go away.

I guess with any rebuild, it's a lottery, it might come out like new, it might last a year, or, it might die shortly after the maiden voyage starts, add to that, the complicated nature of an e-tec, let alone one that had a problem, and the odds are slowly going in favour of a complete running engine being a better option, there is plenty of good used engines around if you have the time to look, no idea what your motor would be worth as parts though.

Just as an after thought, if I was going second hand 2 stroke, I would go old school and cop the fuel use and smoke, not an e-tec or an Opti, or even a Yamaha HPDI, look for a good running standard old EFI 4 stroke. (In my opinion)

that comment has been made a few times and ignored noelm

$3500 gets you a $70hp yamaha running 4500 a 90 etc
    if the die scrap and get another

perfect example https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/moun...aft/1197031541
    id take that over a rebuilt etec or rebuilt anything that died and was rebuilt without knowing what killed it in the first place.

the 2000 v4 90hp johnson i had was a brilliant engine and fuel use wasnt high 50-60l to go from botany to the fads and back and troll for a few hours, didnt even notice the oil tank dropping just topped it up every 6 trips or so

I'm worried about the metal fragments that are in bedded into the crank journals after its seizure, i can buy a new crank from the USA for six hundred they are a old stock marked down but i probably wont have the cash before they are sold

Noel i would need something like 140hp+ old school 2 stroke would be a real guzzler, if i could sell some etec parts i could possibly looking for a five k engine four strokes are just a little beyond this amount at about six k

no idea why my keyboard isnt working with numbers

I was told there was a 100HP Yamaha 4 stroke with 330 hours for sale on Facebook for $4,500 the other day, didn't see the add myself though.

From what i have seen Noel there has been 3 boats like mine, 1 is on sale now on FB it hasa vintage 140hp Suzuki 2 stroke, another one i seen a few months back on Gumtree had a 200hp 2 stroke and there was 1 more on FB that guy regularly posts pictures of that one has a 175hp

i am thinking i need minimum 130hp 140hp, one person commented on the ETec forum saying i would need every bit of the 130hp Etec to move my boat

I checked out the crank journals with a loupe i think is is 60x this must be what the machine shop guy means by metal fragments on the journals

Hmm, interesting, I wonder what a brand new one looks like, and I wonder if it can be polished? I was doing a bit of searching for something else and came across a guy in the US that says the sleeves are actually pulled out from the top, no idea how unless there is some sort of tool to do it.

If you think a 130 etec is a big fish I will disagree with you. The big step over a 90hp comes when you go 150 and over. When i did comparisons a few years back, I didnt think there was much difference between an etec 115, 130 or suzi 140 4S. on a 543rf signature. So if this rebuild is a big heavy lump, 130 may be just so so.