Page 11 of 41 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: E-Tec, Optimax, 4 Stroke? Looking at 115hp range

Re: E-Tec, Optimax, 4 Stroke? Looking at 115hp range

Being left handed doesn't mean it will have high hours (it could have of course) might need to make sure it is a counter rotation, just in case they just put another prop on to sell it (as you mentioned way back) no big deal being a counter, just props will be harder to get.

Looks like i am just getting lucky i just bought a 50-75mm micrometer from Hare and Forbes so it is a trustworthy tool same as the other one i bought, my main journals measure within spec at
    55.55x55.55 (Top)
    55.55x55.56 (Middle)
    bottom is a ball bearing that has a inner race so the whole bearing can be replaced i will measure it but its likely in spec

Noel i'm hoping it doesn't have a ton of hours but its likely for a engine that was probably used on a cat and being a 130hp x2 thats a big cat that would see some hours likely with the engines running continuous

If everything measures OK, then the hours mean nothing, not too sure how much rebuild parts will be, make sure the crankcase halves are spotless and the recommended "goo" is used when assembling, any air leaks will give you grief, the top and bottom seals/bearings are also critical.

WSM make a rebuild kit all pistons,seals,gaskets,bearings a complete kit for $1250

Block welding and re-sleeving is $200

Sleeve is about $250 converted and shipped

1 new rod is around $300-400 i may look for a second hand rod on ebay or local wreckers

Crankshaft polishing should only be $50

I personally would go genuine with the parts, especially the bearings, but I would still keep an eye out for a second hand block! Another thing to be cautious of, make sure the sealing "rings" on the crank are good.

Yeah i was advised to go OEM on the bearings too and i read about someone else being sold the same thing about the piston's, the price adds up very quickly when your talking OEM parts from Australia $200 for one bearing etc..

mate just bought a 10 year old 90 yamaha 2 stroke for $3600 with 300 hours
    looks cheap compared to what your going through

Quote Originally Posted by stevej View Post
    mate just bought a 10 year old 90 yamaha 2 stroke for $3600 with 300 hours
    looks cheap compared to what your going through
    I should have a brand new E-Tec 130 that is 2 years newer, 40hp more, for $900 extra, Not to mention its a E-Tec

Just comparing the prices from a local supplier of Evinrude OEM parts

AUD $380 for two main bearings locally
    USD$220 for the same two bearings out of USA

AUD $215 each piston locally
    USD $115 each piston out of USA

AUD $142 each big end bearings locally
    USD $61 each out of USA

i may need to consider where i am sourcing my parts from would love to support Huey as he is a local Evinrude dealer but i also need to consider the over all cost to repair

what would u guys do?

Gazza, I'm following this thread with interest, purely for the fact that your giving this a decent crack. I haven't really worked on outboards for 40 odd years, these types weren't in existence, the electronics is what would give me the hebe jebees.
    Now, the question, support the local supplier, or save a bit of coin and "venture"
    I'll convey my experience, currently rebuilding a 75 triumph bonneville engine ( it's a habit).
    Always try to support local suppliers, having to import most of the parts from England in container loads and always get good advice when needed on different projects.
    UNTIL.
    I got a price for main engine and gearbox bearings, local---$480 England $ 310 delivered in 5 days. Hmmm
    I'll do a full rebuild cost up comparison on both, my findings, around $1000 on parts for the rebuild on the engine and gearbox.
    Now, most of these parts are sourced from the same supplier.
    Continuing the same exercise with associated frame parts, gave me a grand saving of near $ 1400 on the latest restore project.
    Now I will point out, I obviously use local engineers for dynamic crank shaft balancing, head work etc etc.
    It's a hard call what you do, these bikes aren't for sale, there all keepers. I give the Aussie suppliers an opportunity to at least come down in price and make the difference less, but to no avail. most of the time, it arrives from where ever quicker than Aussie suppliers can get it to me.
    So support the local industry is always prefered, but, I just cant justify the difference.
    Hope this doesn't get a bad reaction from folks, Profit isn't a dirty word, but coming out of the same manufacturers and the pricing difference, is pure gauging..........
    It will depend on how much coin you have to throw at it and the relationship you need afterwards with local suppliers..........

Col

USD$ USA Shop

2 main bearings $215.38
    4 little end bearing $86.64
    4 big end bearing $244.56
    1 conrod $190.34
    4 piston kits $438.24
    1 bottom crankshaft bearing $45.44
    1 bottom crankshaft bearing sleeve $13.09
    powerhead gasket kit $192.15

USD Total $1425.84 AUD conversion AUD$1964.78 plus shipping

AUD$ Local Shop

2 main bearings $379.60
    4 little end bearing $187.56
    4 big end bearing $570
    1 conrod $400.39
    4 piston kits $862.36
    1 bottom crankshaft bearing $97.22
    1 bottom crankshaft bearing sleeve $18.56
    powerhead gasket kit $346.48

total AUD $2862.17

or i can just buy everything listed above minus the conrod locally for AUD$1250

What are the import duties and GST and freight and insurance components worth?

I just did the sums on local / direct import for a Optimax 200 sport jet.
    Local supply AU$24,000.
    Buy in the USA and import AU$23,550.....big jump up on the purchase price of US$16,550.

All items now attract 10% GST, most items attract import duties.....you can get import duties dropped on some things but you need the agreement signed off prior to making the purchase, that takes about 4 weeks to get done.
    Jack.

All comes down to whether you think you will need Huey at some stage. If he cracks it and refuses to help after you spend your money OS (basically what I used to do) and then you have a problem with the electronics and blow up all the work you just did, the cheaper prices won't have been such a good deal.

Having been in the marine game for a good period of time I can see the argument from both ends. There is a real chance that Huey can't even purchase parts through official channels at the same price you are sourcing them from overseas. I know that was regularly the case with electronics.

Yeah Scottar it will be going to a dealer hopping to take it to Huey because i seen all his knowledge about the E-Tec's on a fishing forum i use to frequent so i know he knows the E-Tec's really well but it all depends to i have a local guy that is a mobile marine mechanic who i am using to boat code the boat he is also a E-Tec tech but he will cost a few more bucks tho as he is mobile but i can get it done at my house where as Huey is around 45mins away 1.5 hours in traffic than i still need to build my trailer and get that registered to haul it over to Cowan

I don't know when i will be doing the E-Tec weather it be one big repair job at once or in bits at a time, I'm waiting for some cash to come in so i can just buy everything and get it all done, or i am looking to sell my other boat too so i need to work on that as well hopefully if i sell my smaller boat it will make me eager to work on the bigger boat and put more time into it

I don't want to sound like I am having a go at you, because it's the furthest thing in my mind, but, be careful you don't try to do too many things at once, you can end up with different "projects" half done all over the place! as I said, I am not knocking you at all, and I admire your efforts, but, I have just seen it many times. It's also difficult for me, because of my nature, I am a do one thing at a time and finish it type, pretty rare I know, but it's just how I am, just like when I renovated my house, I didn't start multiple jobs, just one at a time, do it properly, finish it, and move on.