Thread: Do any SE Qld dams have edible fish? Either bass or Barra

Cool Do any SE Qld dams have edible fish? Either bass or Barra

Keen to take the boat and go freshwater fishing within 300 k of Hervey Bay butwould prefer to catch and cook. Any help appreciated.

Re: Do any SE Qld dams have edible fish? Either bass or Barra

Lake Lenthall is on your doorstep. Plenty of edible bass. Monduran is not far up the road with plenty of Barra. Google them.

https://www.frasercoast.qld.gov.au/d...c-881714856289
    Road in can be a bit rough at times. 4 stroke under 60hp only,Short stay camping only,
    Monduran no limits on motor. Barra in both dams can be a bit ordinary depends on your taste buds and how you cook it Maybe I am a bit fussy because the grey nomads fill their freezers with barra,Bass also in Monduran, If you come further south plenty of bass and yellas but no barra jus tcheck each dam as some are leccy only,
    Cheers
    Ray

I don't bother personally. Fresh is for fun. Salt is for the table.

It sounds like you haven't had the pleasure of eating an impoundment fish ..... If that's the reasoning behind it , you'll be greatly disappointed . Sure people do it (Grey nomads) but when you drill down to hear of what is involved to bring a fish up to a palatable standard ...... why would you bother ?
    I've tried barra , bass , Yellas & sooties ..... nah

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Nothing wrong with bass that is prepared correctly, Bleed and ice asap and remove fat when filleting.Fish from dams that do not have boney bream as food source are a better quality fish,Fish around the38cm mark provide a good size fillet with minimum of fat. I smoke yellas and only take fish under 40cm. Dam barra dust the fillets with curry powder and only if you have run out of spam or old boots,( Once again only smaller fish) I have not eaten bass from mondy but the forkies from there are better than the barra.
    Cheers
    Ray

Quote Originally Posted by rayken1938 View Post
    Nothing wrong with bass that is prepared correctly, Bleed and ice asap and remove fat when filleting.Fish from dams that do not have boney bream as food source are a better quality fish,Fish around the38cm mark provide a good size fillet with minimum of fat. I smoke yellas and only take fish under 40cm. Dam barra dust the fillets with curry powder and only if you have run out of spam or old boots,( Once again only smaller fish) I have not eaten bass from mondy but the forkies from there are better than the barra.
    Cheers
    Ray
    & the same method can be used to prepare Tofu & an old thong & you probably could taste the difference

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

There is noting like the taste of Barra pulled out of a muddy old billabong. Thank God !
    Mick
    Not all tools are usefull.
    Nappies and politicians should be changed regularly for the same reason..

agreed ,my first taste of Barra was from yellow waters billabong Nt ,big waste of fish cause we couldnt spit it out fast enough ,even after a few beers