Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ALKO IQ7 Brake Actuator plus other brake advice needed

Re: ALKO IQ7 Brake Actuator plus other brake advice needed

Re. Trailer brakes when launching. I use a 4wd truck so in low range 1st its not going anywhere when launching (off in gear). I suggest a normal 4wd would be the same though.

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    ... if you do a lot of city driving and do soft braking it can be a little disconcerting. In reverse redarc is like it hits a brick wall when the brakes are applied , maybe it's my unit, would like to hear from others.
    My mate has the same issue Sam, although it is better than the old-school Tekonsha pendulum controller he previously had .

Although it was over 18 months ago now (so the memory is a bit vague ), but when I spoke to some people/sellers about the Redarc, although it is an accelerometer controller, one thing that it seemed not to accommodate was calibration at both minimum braking input and maximum. Maximum calibration for braking at speed, minimum for low speed driving and manoeuvring etc - and all in between these ‘limits’ controlled as normal.

After the first few trips I had tweaked these settings to suit my 3t load, but haven’t touched them since. It was great at both low and high speed. As a result I stuck with my existing controller, but I’m sure will have to tweak it again with the different braking system (iQ7) and heavier load.
    Cheers
    Brendon

Sent from my iPad using Ausfish mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Marchy001 View Post
    Something like this?

Will be getting Trojan calipers when the time comes and the park brake attachment as well.

https://trojan.co.nz/Mechanical-Park...-254fec34e110/
    Marchy, for some strange reason my tablet crashes the Internet when it try to access the site (it does that to a few specific sites, could be my security settings) however I briefly saw the item in question and will look it up on the PC next time I fire it up which is infrequent. I still have the manual override calipers but when I looked at whether I could add these as well I found the cables would foul on the new calipers I'd installed when I went hydraulic/electric.

So the redarc i have is the towpro elite. I think its a new model. There is an older towpro.. Once calibrated it has proportional braking. I find the scale is accurate. When i tow the trailer without the boat i wind it right back otherwise the wheels lock up initially. With the boat i can turn it up to the point where it is helping pulling me up, but as im just around town i then take it back so it feels as though the load wasn't there/ with close to 4.5 ton on a tri axle trailer. That is i set it to four and no matter if i brake soft or hard it feels as though im just driving the truck. . I have driven it a few times without the proportional on (so just brakes off or in on a scale of 1 - 10) and its much less nice to drive. The tekonshas are cheaper but the redarc runs direct on 24v which made it my best option but i am quite happy with it. It also is very neat with just a small rotary dial visible and a flash colour code/ push button interface that is Intuitive.