Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2018 swains trip gear

2018 swains trip gear

Hi Guys
    Finally got my stuff sorted for this years Swains trip. Just thought some of you reef raiders might be interested.

First my rods are 1 PENN senator 50lb rod I use for trolling with 50lb braid.
    1 SHIMANO T-Curve 400 pe5-7
    1 LIVE FIBRE PNG Bass 20kg

My reels are 1 PENN 113H with 50lb braid for trolling
    1 PENN 2/0 Senator with 50lb braid for bait
    1 SHIMANO 20/40 with 60lb braid for bait
    1 JIGGING MASTER PE5n with 60lb braid for bait

The PENN 113h has been modified with a Tiburon alloy frame and a stainless gear sleeve and the PENN 2/0 has a stainless gear sleeve
    and 5 stack carbon drag for more grunt.
    I enjoy using old and newer gear, but this lot gets the ride this year.P1050519.jpgreef rods.jpg

Re: 2018 swains trip gear

Hi Reggy, when is your trip? I am on one mid next year so will be interested to hear what sort of terminal tackle is required? I haven’t been there before however I have fished 1770 a few times. I am expecting it to be similar but more focused on the shallower water in the dory’s. keen to hear what tackle you are taking and then when you get back, what tackle you actually used.

Cheers
    Lee

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums
    The wait is finally over.........was worth every minute..........let the RIPTIDE rip..........hell yehhhh

Hi Lee
    I have been out there about 7 times. Next one is in 2 months for 7 days. I like 80 lb leader because anything larger I find is difficult to tie knots well.Weight of lead depends on current strength. I like size 7 to 10 hooks like octopus or suicide patterns.When travelling from spot to spot, the boat allows trolling, but does about 12-15 knots, so a lure that will handle speed is essential.
    The gear ratio of my reels range from 2.5 :1 to 5:1. The very low gear reels make it much easier to winch up a heavy fish when you get tired.Anything above 5:1 is just too low on torque and too difficult.
    My rods are all 5ft 6in long. The longer the rod, the more advantage to the fish.
    For trolling I use a 3mtr 80 lb mono leader to about 40cm of single strand wire. There are some huge spaniards out there.
    This is what works for me.
    Reggy

Ausfish Bronze Member OcciferNick's Avatar

What’s the cost of a trip like that?
    “Filthy Oar”
    Stessl 5.3m centre console
    90hp Suzuki

Cheers Reggy, thanks for that info. Is there a limit as to how much gear you are allowed to take? Weight etc?
    Also, do the boats have clothes washing facilities? Just interested because you would need plenty of clothes for a weeks fishing and they would be getting pretty rank after being packed away for a week covered in blood, guts and slime?

The wait is finally over.........was worth every minute..........let the RIPTIDE rip..........hell yehhhh

Lee, you would need to take your electric reels 😉

Sam, just looking for another one tonight. I can’t see me taking it, I don’t think they fish deep water at all? Keen for the no pressure relaxed fish rather than worrying about finding fish, boat prep and everything else that goes with owning a boat.

Was having a go at you Lee. Yes used to enjoy the Swains trips myself but now a bit more expensive and it's good if you go with mates.

What boat are you on mate?

Quote Originally Posted by OcciferNick View Post
    What’s the cost of a trip like that?
    depends on the size and class of the boat. can range from two to three and a half grand.

Quote Originally Posted by Any_Weather View Post
    Cheers Reggy, thanks for that info. Is there a limit as to how much gear you are allowed to take? Weight etc?
    Also, do the boats have clothes washing facilities? Just interested because you would need plenty of clothes for a weeks fishing and they would be getting pretty rank after being packed away for a week covered in blood, guts and slime?

the more expensive boats will collect and wash your clothes every day. it might be advisable to make enquiries about the amount of gear you can take with the boat you are going on.

Reggy, I am going on the MV BOOBY BIRD which I believe is one of the cheaper options. It is for a mates 50th birthday. I may contact them and try to find out.
    Enjoy your trip, look forward to hearing how you went.

Cheers
    Lee

Quote Originally Posted by Any_Weather View Post
    Reggy, I am going on the MV BOOBY BIRD which I believe is one of the cheaper options. It is for a mates 50th birthday. I may contact them and try to find out.
    Enjoy your trip, look forward to hearing how you went.

Cheers
    Lee

Good luck Lee. I hope you have a great trip.
    Reggy

Just returned from Swains last week we had a great time but I was expecting to catch a lot more fish than we did. We caught the usual fish but not a lot, there were twenty of us on the boat and we fished out of the Dories and the big boat. We fished in close to the reef in the Dories and found that anchoring close to the reef and using no sinker at all was best.I brought along hundreds of hooks from 6/0 to 8/0 of every type but found myself using 8/0 circle hooks that I bought fom Kmart to be the best. It was the same story with rods and reels I had a selection of five rod/reels of various sizes and found the rod and reel I used most was a 4500 Daiwa baitrunner with 80lb braid and 60lb leader, hardly used any other rod/reel. We had limited success in close to the reef in the Dories but caught most fish hunting around in the deeper water, 25m to 40m. We used bait mostly which was mullet, squid and pillies supplied by the big boat but had better results with cut bait caught from the Dories. There were plenty of snags but I did not lose anywhere near the gear I thought I would and the biggest sinker I used was a 1/4 pounder on a paternoster rig in the deeper water. The trick when fishing the deeper water was find the bottom then raise your sinker up about a foot or two to avoid the snags. The boat we were on was the Eastern Explorer which is a fantastic boat , big and safe with a terrific, helpful crew and the best chef/cook in the land onboard. The Skipper moved around constantly to put us onto the best fishing spots and although we got plenty of fish the sharks that followed us everywhere were a constant menace and robbed us of many good fish. We were plagued by metre reef sharks under the boat darting out to relieve you of your fish and four 4m monsters out the back of the boat. We hooked one of these big sharks, broke it off with a metre of line hanging out its mouth and then moved eight miles away and lo and behold after about an hour this same big shark with the line hanging out of its mouth turns up. All in all a good trip but I would not take so much gear next time. There was one little item that was very helpful in my tackle box and that was a length of timber 25mm dowel about a foot long to wrap around your line when you get snagged and have to break off. We did a fair amount of trolling but apart from one Spaniard and a couple of Tuna it was not very productive.

Hi Bugsytwoshoes. I am heading out on that boat in October. Looking forward to it. The piece of timber dowel is a good tip.