Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: GT Fishing thread

Re: GT Fishing thread

Not sure if you guys know, but you have a GT legend living here in Brisbane. Look up MB Custom Lures. There is a web page and facebook and Le, pronounced LAY is a great guy who loves GT's to the point that he started making lures about 5 years ago. These things are all handmade and get sent all around the world these days. The budget end of the collection are around $50 but the top end go for up to $600 each. These things usually live on the trophy cabinet. As a testament to the quality of his lures, many of the guides use his gear on a replacement basis cos they really work. As to gear, i am a bit cheap and use budget gear, but you need to have stuff that gives you 20kg of drag. the retrieve ratio is important, because on the pull/wind action, a 4.6:1 is too slow and it is clumsy. You need at least 5:1 hence the big bucks for saltiga and stella's. Having caught a few over 20kg with best at 37kg, I know that a cheap reel will probably only catch one fish because after that it just seems bad. Line must be 100lb minimum
    Rods need top be 7'6 to 8 ft to have the range. A stick baiting rod has a softer tip allowing for a nice pull acceleration/deceleration of the lure, whereas a popper rod is more like a broomstick that allows for a hard almost jerking action to drive the popper suddenly causing a loud booof sound.When retrieving, its not all about being busy and throwing hard and fast. I have had lures hit when they have floated alongside the boat because I had a knot in my line and was untangling for a few minutes. Mix it up, fast, slow jerk, smooth, honestly variation is the key. As to locations, look for the pressure wave at the head of a reef and they sit under that. They can be found on the sevens reef off Straddie, and up at the shoal off Sandy Cape, but that is a long way. They love to brick you on the reef, but unlike Kngfish and cod that will swim through a hole, GTs will swim around the rock, so with some clever boat driving teamwork, try to position the boat directly above the fish. If, and I mean if you are quick enough you will likely score! Hooks.... trebles or singles are ok, but please close the barb, but don't go barbless because they will spit the hook with head bumps. A closed barb is about perfect. Drag, tighten your drag up to 100% then back off 1/4 to 1/2 a turn. cast and do not ever put a loop of line around a finger or you can expect to lose it. My score is 4 GT's for 3 broken rods. One from a fish and 2 from the other guys hitting my rod in the shotgun holder while they cast (badly).
    Should you do it.... I promise you it is bucketlist fishing and they are right here in SE Qld! I hope that helps; Phil

I got dusted by one near Fitzroy lagoon a few years ago. We saw a bait school shimmer on the surface, I grabbed the only rod I had that was set up for casting and sent a slug into the bait. I had barely thrown the bail when line started pealing off at an insane rate. There was a bit of mayhem for a few minutes as we tried to chase the fish and get some line back but we had no hope as it was only 30lb gear on a snapper rod. Was a massize rush and I would love to have a dedicated crack at them one day myself.
    Great thread
    Remember to always log on before heading offshore.

Quote Originally Posted by ozynorts View Post
    I got dusted by one near Fitzroy lagoon a few years ago. We saw a bait school shimmer on the surface, I grabbed the only rod I had that was set up for casting and sent a slug into the bait. I had barely thrown the bail when line started pealing off at an insane rate. There was a bit of mayhem for a few minutes as we tried to chase the fish and get some line back but we had no hope as it was only 30lb gear on a snapper rod. Was a massize rush and I would love to have a dedicated crack at them one day myself.
    Great thread
    I think a little bit of wee comes out anytime someone talks about their experiences with a decent GT & let's face it …… it doesn't have to even be a big GT as a 10kg fish can stretch you to the limits.
    Hopefully you get the chance to have a real crack one day .

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by Oceanranger24 View Post
    Not sure if you guys know, but you have a GT legend living here in Brisbane. Look up MB Custom Lures. There is a web page and facebook and Le, pronounced LAY is a great guy who loves GT's to the point that he started making lures about 5 years ago. These things are all handmade and get sent all around the world these days. The budget end of the collection are around $50 but the top end go for up to $600 each. These things usually live on the trophy cabinet. As a testament to the quality of his lures, many of the guides use his gear on a replacement basis cos they really work. As to gear, i am a bit cheap and use budget gear, but you need to have stuff that gives you 20kg of drag. the retrieve ratio is important, because on the pull/wind action, a 4.6:1 is too slow and it is clumsy. You need at least 5:1 hence the big bucks for saltiga and stella's. Having caught a few over 20kg with best at 37kg, I know that a cheap reel will probably only catch one fish because after that it just seems bad. Line must be 100lb minimum
    Rods need top be 7'6 to 8 ft to have the range. A stick baiting rod has a softer tip allowing for a nice pull acceleration/deceleration of the lure, whereas a popper rod is more like a broomstick that allows for a hard almost jerking action to drive the popper suddenly causing a loud booof sound.When retrieving, its not all about being busy and throwing hard and fast. I have had lures hit when they have floated alongside the boat because I had a knot in my line and was untangling for a few minutes. Mix it up, fast, slow jerk, smooth, honestly variation is the key. As to locations, look for the pressure wave at the head of a reef and they sit under that. They can be found on the sevens reef off Straddie, and up at the shoal off Sandy Cape, but that is a long way. They love to brick you on the reef, but unlike Kngfish and cod that will swim through a hole, GTs will swim around the rock, so with some clever boat driving teamwork, try to position the boat directly above the fish. If, and I mean if you are quick enough you will likely score! Hooks.... trebles or singles are ok, but please close the barb, but don't go barbless because they will spit the hook with head bumps. A closed barb is about perfect. Drag, tighten your drag up to 100% then back off 1/4 to 1/2 a turn. cast and do not ever put a loop of line around a finger or you can expect to lose it. My score is 4 GT's for 3 broken rods. One from a fish and 2 from the other guys hitting my rod in the shotgun holder while they cast (badly).
    Should you do it.... I promise you it is bucketlist fishing and they are right here in SE Qld! I hope that helps; Phil
    thanks for sharing your experiences Phil , there are some good tips .
    certainly crushing down barbs should be considered for both the fish's sake (catch & release) but more importantly the angler & crew ….. you don't want a 5 , 6 or 7/O GT hook buried in any part of yours' or a mates body .. …… specially with long drops when casting

As for going barbless - the key is to strike hard & often because of the hard jaw bone ……. then maintain pressure .

MB Custom lures are pretty impressive works of art & quite unique in being made out of a 2 pack resin ….. worth the coin if just to display.

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by Oceanranger24 View Post
    Hey Phil, Le also has the best FG knot tutorial on U tube, imo.No tools, rods, teeth etc.used and can do it on the boat in the wind.

Chris, did the Nomad trip. Pic for what`s coming in the Whitsundays.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by robcam View Post
    Hey Phil, Le also has the best FG knot tutorial on U tube, imo.No tools, rods, teeth etc.used and can do it on the boat in the wind.

Chris, did the Nomad trip. Pic for what`s coming in the Whitsundays.
    Nice - very nice

I know I'm starting to get a bit pumped with just 2 weeks till we start the trip ….

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

GT Fishing thread

Besides talking about gear the biggest thing is finding them.
    Best option I’ve found is simply drive along a reef drop off until you spot bait showers. Chuck ya popper in and hold on.
    Some reefs edges can be Kilometres long. So just drive along for as long as it takes to find bait showers. That’s guaranteed way of catching a few.

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums

Quote Originally Posted by Flex View Post
    Besides talking about gear the biggest thing is finding them.
    Best option I’ve found is simply drive along a reef drop off until you spot bait showers. Chuck ya popper in and hold on.
    Some reefs edges can be Kilometres long. So just drive along for as long as it takes to find bait showers. That’s guaranteed way of catching a few.

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums
    Even better when they are fusiliers ……. GT lollies

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Feel sorry for the poor ole fusilier, everything wants to eat them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mercury 115ct going strong😁

Nagg how did the GT trip go? I am just sorting out a gt kit now, have the poppers and stickbaits just shortlisting some rods

Mercury 115ct going strong😁

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtyfuzz View Post
    Nagg how did the GT trip go? I am just sorting out a gt kit now, have the poppers and stickbaits just shortlisting some rods

Unfortunately - the weather gods were unkind (strong winds) so pretty well all the locations I was going to fish were unfishable - made worst that I had electrical issues with my minn kota ( connection failure)
    The trip ended up being a snorkeling trip for the most part but I did hook up this black 50 lber on a snapper outfit with a chase bait squid ...... sillly me lasted about 5 seconds . GT1.jpg
    Anyhow - I'm heading up to Lucinda at Easter for a week with a fishing mate and the plan is to hit the reef & islands ....... so fingers crossed that we get some good weather.

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Wondering if anyone on here has been on a Big Cat Reality charter and would care to comment. Thinking of the Cato reef trip. I`ve done a couple of Nomad trips and a big part of it is the guides showing the fishos where to cast and why so asking how people went. Pics for attention.....Rob
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ohhhh good timing on this thread popping up!!!!

Apparently wasting money on GT gear is something I'm compelled to do at the moment, Ive never done any so this seems like a good endeavour to celebrate bringing Bimini Twist back to Gladdy!
    It would be good to see what people have been successful with, pretty keen to chase some GT's, hopefully some Trout and Spanish bycatch might pop themselves into my esky as well!
    I've been picking up some various Nomad Designs poppers and stickbaits and just yesterday received a lovely little care package from Nashy's Custom Lures out of Harvey Bay (see pics below), man those stickbaits are sexy as sin! Hoping to get out in the next few weeks (weather pending - its been blowing here since last year.....) might go for a look around the Cap Bunker group, check out some reef flats and lagoons etc. Cant wait!

Nashy1.jpg

Josh
    Yalta Craft 555HC, "BIMINI TWIST", home port Gladstone
    Member of the Yalta Craft Appreciation Society

Quote Originally Posted by four_button_arnie View Post
    Ohhhh good timing on this thread popping up!!!!

Apparently wasting money on GT gear is something I'm compelled to do at the moment, Ive never done any so this seems like a good endeavour to celebrate bringing Bimini Twist back to Gladdy!
    It would be good to see what people have been successful with, pretty keen to chase some GT's, hopefully some Trout and Spanish bycatch might pop themselves into my esky as well!
    I've been picking up some various Nomad Designs poppers and stickbaits and just yesterday received a lovely little care package from Nashy's Custom Lures out of Harvey Bay (see pics below), man those stickbaits are sexy as sin! Hoping to get out in the next few weeks (weather pending - its been blowing here since last year.....) might go for a look around the Cap Bunker group, check out some reef flats and lagoons etc. Cant wait!

Nashy1.jpg

Josh
    They look like flats candy .....

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO