Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: GT Fishing thread

Post GT Fishing thread

Hi All

I thought I might start a thread on Giant Trevally - or as most know them GT's
    A place to share tips , experiences / stories , locations , techniques , tackle & general information on this exciting and often brutal brawler of the seas.
    With a bit of a hardcore following - Hopefully we can get a few members on here to get things rolling.

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Re: GT Fishing thread

I have never caught a large GT, but have been on a boat and seen others do it. Mainly using large spin reels and large surface poppers or using a live bait under a balloon.They are definitely not any sort of bycatch, and need a very specific strategy for success.
    I also am looking forward to other`s posts.

Ausfish Bronze Member OcciferNick's Avatar

Same here Reggy.

I started the thread asking about them around Fraser Island.
    I follow a few people on YouTube who specifically target them and have seen them score some monsters around the same area. I’ve looked at the maps and listened to a lot of discussions and think a good place to start to try and catch my first one would be around the Sandy Cape Shoal. I’m planning on doing an overnighter when the weather is good. I’ve also seen some guys catching them around Barren Island at the back of the Keppels. I’ve started to stock up on some poppers and looking at getting a few decent sized stick baits to throw at them. I’ve got a real spooled with a 100lb braid and just bought some 200lb leader. I don’t think I have a rod that’s long enough to throw 100-250g lures so might have to pick one up second hand if I can. I’m super keen to get one though

If anyone wants to send me a private message with some specific pointers I’m all ears

Attachment 117681

Attachment 117682
    “Filthy Oar”
    Stessl 5.3m centre console
    90hp Suzuki

I've had an interest in GT fishing ever since I hooked up with a VW beetle sized one in PNG in the mid 90's - lost it under the boat when the line touched the prop .
    Unfortunately I've only managed to have a crack at them a few times in that 20 + years since ..... till recently at Weipa when I had my ass handed to me...... but that has me fired up & I've decided to put my time and effort into these bruisers over the next couple of years organising my holidays around towing my boat up to Qld & combining my love for camping with catching some big dogs .

It all starts with a trip to the Whitsundays just after Christmas - camping out at Nari's beach (Whitsunday Island) & using this as my base for 6 nights.
    2019 should also see a trip organised around the Keppels & possibly another to the Whitsundays - all 5 or 6 nighters.

Between these two destinations I'm pretty certain I could find a fish or two having nailed a few puppies on a previous trip to the Whitsundays some 20 years ago. Both places have many options & camping available.... not to mention holding reasonable stocks of fish (big fish).
    Whitsundays has the benefit of having access to fuel & supplies (Hamilton Island) & a reasonable run out to the reef should conditions suit.

Going through the process of tuning my boat & camping gear - to make this an easier more efficient experience . Lithium batteries for the leccy for faster charging & weight reduction (-24kgs)- fuel bladder to fit in the kill tank. ...

Then there is the tackle ...... now that is a subject on it's own .

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by OcciferNick View Post
    Same here Reggy.

I started the thread asking about them around Fraser Island.
    I follow a few people on YouTube who specifically target them and have seen them score some monsters around the same area. I’ve looked at the maps and listened to a lot of discussions and think a good place to start to try and catch my first one would be around the Sandy Cape Shoal. I’m planning on doing an overnighter when the weather is good. I’ve also seen some guys catching them around Barren Island at the back of the Keppels. I’ve started to stock up on some poppers and looking at getting a few decent sized stick baits to throw at them. I’ve got a real spooled with a 100lb braid and just bought some 200lb leader. I don’t think I have a rod that’s long enough to throw 100-250g lures so might have to pick one up second hand if I can. I’m super keen to get one though

If anyone wants to send me a private message with some specific pointers I’m all ears

Attachment 117681

Attachment 117682
    Good for you ..... What type of boat are you going to fish from ?

The rod really is the key peice of kit ....... I looking atm to see what I need to throw those bigger chuggers & boy can't you spend some coin. Not too much available under $700 (Saltiga , Venom , Samurai) & often sitting around that $900 + ($++) (Yamaga , Black hole , Zenaq , Patriot , ASWB , Ripple Fisher , Temple Reef , Carpenter) It just depends on how much you want to get into it & the type of lures you want to throw ..... specially the 150g +

How about those chuggers & stick baits - $50 is a cheepie , $80 average .... $120 plus for a lure that can be lost in the first cast...... add another $15 in hardware to a lure & you are talking some serious bickies - and here was I worry about $20 barra lures
    We are talking serious coin.

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by reggy View Post
    I have never caught a large GT, but have been on a boat and seen others do it. Mainly using large spin reels and large surface poppers or using a live bait under a balloon.They are definitely not any sort of bycatch, and need a very specific strategy for success.
    I also am looking forward to other`s posts.
    Pretty well right - If you want to catch those big fish .... you have to target them & that is the appealing part for me ...... It's not rocket science on where you need to fish & what tide you need to fish it- certainly once you know the area. Google earth & the Navionics app soon reveals the where .

The type of gear you need still blows me away ..... there is no finesse because of the country you are in ( reef & a rampaging GT is a formidable pairing.) . High end heavy gear still gets destroyed .

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

I would consider before outlaying mass dollars buy a shimono t-curve popping rod I have one that I used 4 times and now it sits there doing nothing and strapping a 150g popper to it and heading out for the day .

It is extremely brutal if you have not done it before and I but the second you are about to give up you will get hammered then the fun begins. But once you land your first one you won’t care about the price of tackle you will just want the rush again... I now have a ripple fisher and it is teamed with a 14000 stella great light but heavy combo
    happy days ahead summer is coming

To be honest I was looking at getting a cheap rod to start with as I can’t justify the massive dollars right now for a good rod. I was looking at the Shimano Jewel 802TW which is apparently designed for throwing lures up to 220g at top water feeders, GT etc. $160. My boat is a 5.3m centre console with a nice casting deck up front. I’ve taken it out past Fitzroy Reef. I think the first thing I need to do is get out there and try to identify some likely spots and then see if I can raise a fish or two. If I can put all that together then I might look at upping the gear.

NAGG your trips sound exactly like what I want to do. Are you camping with family?
    “Filthy Oar”
    90hp Suzuki

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    Good for you ..... What type of boat are you going to fish from ?

The rod really is the key peice of kit ....... I looking atm to see what I need to throw those bigger chuggers & boy can't you spend some coin. Not too much available under $700 (Saltiga , Venom , Samurai) & often sitting around that $900 + ($++) (Yamaga , Black hole , Zenaq , Patriot , ASWB , Ripple Fisher , Temple Reef , Carpenter) It just depends on how much you want to get into it & the type of lures you want to throw ..... specially the 150g +

How about those chuggers & stick baits - $50 is a cheepie , $80 average .... $120 plus for a lure that can be lost in the first cast...... add another $15 in hardware to a lure & you are talking some serious bickies - and here was I worry about $20 barra lures
    We are talking serious coin.

Chris
    For !!??, so much hype and cost for a Fish weve shyed away from for fear of getting a sore back lol.
    There is a wreck not very far at all from here that we used to have a fish off in the hope of a few Snapper , Grunter or smaller sized cod as the bigger Cod get like 44 gallon drums .
    Day time its a backbreaker with some huge GTs or worse still BIG BLACK KING!! All of which will come n swaffle your bait before it touches bottom lol.
    Wreck is marked on the charts n is aprox 12 miles due south east of here.
    Had an article some years back in TBF titled "Roy Boy Lipper " which states the wreck and a short yarn of an outing on it .
    Start off dropping Pilles but ye ole Black King wouldnt miss them so started dropping big Sprats or what we call Tailer up here on 10/0 hooks and to our surprise each one of them was a targeted by GTs.
    Frequented that wreck at variouse times on the way to other possies and if it was during the day , hard to shy away from your GT.
    Night time different storyif you fish that wreck or any other wreck for that matter correctly , now days with min kotas n such with so Called Spot Lock or whatever , should be a piece of cake.

Mind you havent fished that wreck fer yonks so could be a tad different nowdays though doubt it .
    GTs !!?? ,maybe its because im a bread n butter Fisho that I think they are an overated target .
    Give me Red Emperor , Nanies , Sweetlip , Pearlies , Grunter n a few other species I could name lol to spend good money chasing.

Save your $$$ on those exy lures n learn to throw a castnet over a school of good sized sprats n freeze a few for future use lol , will keep those GTs comming for more .

I tried searching for that wreck but couldn’t find anything. I used coords off fish and boat magazine site 26.42.325 153.21.885. Any chance you could send me the right ones mate?
    “Filthy Oar”
    90hp Suzuki

Will do , chase up my marks. Your charplotter/GPS marked wreck should be spot on though.
    B7g mother of a wreck and make sure you dont anchor ontop of it otherwise you may not get your anchor or gear back.

Quote Originally Posted by Jsmfun View Post
    I would consider before outlaying mass dollars buy a shimono t-curve popping rod I have one that I used 4 times and now it sits there doing nothing and strapping a 150g popper to it and heading out for the day .

It is extremely brutal if you have not done it before and I but the second you are about to give up you will get hammered then the fun begins. But once you land your first one you won’t care about the price of tackle you will just want the rush again... I now have a ripple fisher and it is teamed with a 14000 stella great light but heavy combo
    There is certainly a rush watching these things belt a surface lure - Specially if you are in those clear water situations .
    I have to agree on the tackle - the higher end gear is much lighter & more forgiving ..... & if you choose to continue to pursue GTs you end up running for the credit card .

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by Volvo View Post
    For !!??, so much hype and cost for a Fish weve shyed away from for fear of getting a sore back lol.
    There is a wreck not very far at all from here that we used to have a fish off in the hope of a few Snapper , Grunter or smaller sized cod as the bigger Cod get like 44 gallon drums .
    Day time its a backbreaker with some huge GTs or worse still BIG BLACK KING!! All of which will come n swaffle your bait before it touches bottom lol.
    Wreck is marked on the charts n is aprox 12 miles due south east of here.
    Had an article some years back in TBF titled "Roy Boy Lipper " which states the wreck and a short yarn of an outing on it .
    Start off dropping Pilles but ye ole Black King wouldnt miss them so started dropping big Sprats or what we call Tailer up here on 10/0 hooks and to our surprise each one of them was a targeted by GTs.
    Frequented that wreck at variouse times on the way to other possies and if it was during the day , hard to shy away from your GT.
    Night time different storyif you fish that wreck or any other wreck for that matter correctly , now days with min kotas n such with so Called Spot Lock or whatever , should be a piece of cake.

Mind you havent fished that wreck fer yonks so could be a tad different nowdays though doubt it .
    GTs !!?? ,maybe its because im a bread n butter Fisho that I think they are an overated target .
    Give me Red Emperor , Nanies , Sweetlip , Pearlies , Grunter n a few other species I could name lol to spend good money chasing.

Save your $$$ on those exy lures n learn to throw a castnet over a school of good sized sprats n freeze a few for future use lol , will keep those GTs comming for more .
    That's the thing about fishing - we all do it for different reasons & sometimes it's as much about the how & where rather than the what.
    Targeting GT's on topwater - is an adrenaline rush ..... watching that surface strike & then that brutal fight is one of the standout fishing experiences (IMO) ...... I watched a mate in Weipa go from someone who just wanted to have a crack to someone who is now hooked & setting himself up for a serious assault...... & that's after landing just 1 fish .
    I guess though you can end up with some tasty by catch too but it's the ability to target these fish - catch them & release them without any real concern about the fishes ability to recover & survive. That's something you just cant do with CRFF jew & the like.

Surface fishing for GT's is no doubt an extreme sport - with the elements of the hunt , visual strike , battle & then release. I just wished that I did more of it when I had the chance in years gone by.

Chris

Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by OcciferNick View Post
    I tried searching for that wreck but couldn’t find anything. I used coords off fish and boat magazine site 26.42.325 153.21.885. Any chance you could send me the right ones mate?
    Wherebouts you Nick?? Those marks you gave a fair way south from here.

Hey mate sorry I got confused. I am on the Sunshine Coast.
    is this wreck off 1770?
    “Filthy Oar”
    90hp Suzuki