Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: GT Fishing thread

Re: GT Fishing thread

No mate Happyrock ( Gladstone ) just a 5ad north of 1770 .

Quote Originally Posted by OcciferNick View Post
    Hey mate sorry I got confused. I am on the Sunshine Coast.
    is this wreck off 1770?
    They catch a lot of small gts along with tealeaf and goldens in the Noosa river, and have never targeted them but I reckon there would have to be some around old woman

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mercury 115ct going strong😁

Caught a few of these of the beach Fraser Is.
    Best time and tide to catch them is around Dec. Right at the tip of Sandy Cape, one hour before high tide and a couple of hours after high tide is your best shot, using Qantas popper.
    Nothing beat the rush as you rip the popper along and there is a water surge behind the popper and mayhem soon follow.
    One occasion I was targeting whiting and had the usual 3-5kg gear and a couple of shadows in the water cruised along, I quick rip of the whiting hook and put on a slug and chase them up the beach on foot.
    Manage to hook one, as I turn it, quite a few of his mate turn up out of nowhere and followed him into the shallow. This fella was around 10kgs, swam him of.
    Another incident in a nearby location, it was at the turn from bottom of tide, I casting for whiting with beachworm.
    I can see a few large whiting and was sight casting at them in the shallow melon hole.
    Then all of a sudden myself and my partner was stunned and shocked by what happen next, 2 dirty great Gts good solid 20kgs plus specimens, came busting out of the gutter, with half of their nodies out of the shallow water, whiting jumped and showered all over the place, I was surprise by the number of whiting there, didn't even notice that they were there, and I was wearing polarized sunnies.
    The two monsters came and went within a couple of seconds, I guess they chew whiting also.
    I also believe, even with the right gear, you be hard press to land them, they were maaaasive....
    I got a few mate who comes from S.Africa and they have quite alot of success with pure white popper too.
    If you want to target GT of a beach is the best fun and fairer square of, and if you don't get one, there is usually Golden Trevally as a consolation prize.
    But if you get can get your bum into a boat, out the front of Browns Rock is like a GTs highway in summer.

Happy hunting

Wayne
    Humility is not a weather condition.

Ausfish Bronze Member OcciferNick's Avatar

Browns Rock?
    Wheres that Wayne?
    “Filthy Oar”
    Stessl 5.3m centre console
    90hp Suzuki

Fraser Is. After North Ngkala rock, further up the beach you will come accross some coffee rocks, the second and larger if the 2 patch is call Browns Rocks. You will sometime find the odd guy standing ontop of it spinning for Spanos.
    Humility is not a weather condition.

One of the things that surprised me is that there are GTs right down off the Tweed & well into northern NSW ..... not a lot of them but some quite large specimens can be found according to someone in the know. Reefs & headlands that are known mackerel hotspots sometimes hold the odd GT .

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Hey mate sorry I got confused. I am on the Sunshine Coast.
    is this wreck off 1770?
    The coords you posted are off the Sunshine Coast 98 degrees out from Mlba about 26 Km towards Wide Cal. This is cobia territory

What are your favorite shops (retail / online) for GT fishing gear ? .
    Down here in Sydney didn't think we had too many options . ..... certainly nothing like "Fish Head"

I've tried to get hold of some high end rods out of Japan & the US ..... but they either didn't have stock or backed out of selling.

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Done ALOT of GT fishing over the past 10 years and it’s like all forms of fishing: you can Get carried away with what all the “experts” say and do online!
    Don’t waste your money on a high end outfit till you’ve done a few trips and caught some fish! A GT special and Saragossa loaded with 80lb braid is all you need. You can refine this later, and won’t catch too many more fish as a result.
    Learn the FG knot and be able to tie it at sea.
    GTs sit on the first point where current hits the reef, and anywhere fusies are present. Some days they love poppers and other days stickbaits are king, but I can say that stickbaits will catch bigger fish. Well that’s been my experience anyway. Trebles are dangerous to both the fish and crew, and crush the barbs for same reason.
    Learn how to cast long and accurately with the big rods, this will increase your hit rate.
    Don’t go crazy with buying a million lures for a GT trip! I’ve fished dozens of multi day trips and never lost more than 1 GT lure a day on average. Half dozen stickbaits abd popppers is more than enough. Save your money to actually go on trips! That will catch you waaaay more GTs than having a garage full of high end gear.
    GTs are a fantastic sport fish, look after them out of the water by keeping the wet and support their body in photos. Watch out for the scutes on the tail!
    If you have any more questions, fire away!

Quote Originally Posted by FisHard View Post
    Done ALOT of GT fishing over the past 10 years and it’s like all forms of fishing: you can Get carried away with what all the “experts” say and do online!
    Don’t waste your money on a high end outfit till you’ve done a few trips and caught some fish! A GT special and Saragossa loaded with 80lb braid is all you need. You can refine this later, and won’t catch too many more fish as a result.
    Learn the FG knot and be able to tie it at sea.
    GTs sit on the first point where current hits the reef, and anywhere fusies are present. Some days they love poppers and other days stickbaits are king, but I can say that stickbaits will catch bigger fish. Well that’s been my experience anyway. Trebles are dangerous to both the fish and crew, and crush the barbs for same reason.
    Learn how to cast long and accurately with the big rods, this will increase your hit rate.
    Don’t go crazy with buying a million lures for a GT trip! I’ve fished dozens of multi day trips and never lost more than 1 GT lure a day on average. Half dozen stickbaits abd popppers is more than enough. Save your money to actually go on trips! That will catch you waaaay more GTs than having a garage full of high end gear.
    GTs are a fantastic sport fish, look after them out of the water by keeping the wet and support their body in photos. Watch out for the scutes on the tail!
    If you have any more questions, fire away!
    Awesome reply with some good tips .

on the tackle side of things - I do see it a little different …… particularly rods . For me this is the most important piece of kit because it not only has to deliver a bloody heavy lure but then has to be able to work that lure efficiently ……. The better rods have this in spades . Nothing worst than having a rod tip collapse (too soft) when working a big cup face or working a stick bait on too stiff a rod - I've found with the cheaper rods you certainly wont find many that do a good job with both techniques.
    The other side of the coin is having a rod that will fight the fish & not the angler ……. allows the angler to use their body weight effectively - specially fishing 80 or 100lb braid . The last thing you want is a rod that breaks the angler …. which you will get with an 8ft broomstick or noodle . I think this is where the Japanese manufactures have come into there own ( I'm not talking Daiwa or Shimano) .

Unfortunately when it comes to buying rods - we don't often get to cast with one first - we typically just hold one or load one up ……. & honestly most tackle stores really don't know the intricacies of the style. I've had 3 or 5 tackle stores try to sell me rods that wouldn't cut it ( lure weight / Type) ….. a tuna spin stick is not a GT rod .
    I wont argue the toss that cheaper rods wont land a GT ……. & if someone was going to fish once a year for them - you could buy a Daiwa demon blood or Shimano GT special for $350(ish) and plug away.
    As for reels …… that is debatable but you do have to keep in mind of the pressures being applied - even high end Stella's fail on average size fish . I've been told that Nomad are using Penn Slammer III s on charter ( for whatever reason) but I guess you wouldn't use garbage on charters where clients could be paying $10K for the pleasure. I have an 8500 as my back up reel ….. which I was lucky enough to pick up for a song.
    Once again - this boils down to how serious you are about "GT" fishing ……. personally I would rather buy high end rather than wasting money on a cheaper reel & doing the upgrade later particularly if you want to have a real go at it. One of the saving graces is that have you ever seen what second hand Stella's & Saltiga's go for .

Stick baits & poppers ……. $50 , $100 , $150 , $200 - I'm still trying to get my head around the price of some of these. No one can tell me that a $200 lure catches more fish or swims better than a $50 one - I've seen plastic injection moulded lures (rooster popper) or (Maria fully loaded) catch as many as an timber FCL or Heru . These days the choice is huge in that $50-$100 timber lure popper & stickbait range. The two areas I do see - Castability ( length) & finish of the timber lures are superior(in most cases) ….. some are absolute works of art.

Yep this GT fishing can cost big $$$$ …… but you just never know when you encounter that VW sized fish .
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

To be honest I was looking at getting a cheap rod to start with as I can’t justify the massive dollars right now for a good rod. I was looking at the Shimano Jewel 802TW which is apparently designed for throwing lures up to 220g at top water feeders, GT etc. $160. My boat is a 5.3m centre console with a nice casting deck up front. I’ve taken it out past Fitzroy Reef. I think the first thing I need to do is get out there and try to identify some likely spots and then see if I can raise a fish or two. If I can put all that together then I might look at upping the gear.

NAGG your trips sound exactly like what I want to do. Are you camping with family?
    The Christmas trip is a reccy trip with my young bloke ….. a chance to get away before he does year 12 - He loves snorkelling / coral & tropical fish . So this way we get to look around & do what we both enjoy - plus the camping. A bit hot I know & it is stinger season but it's our only chance to go .
    Next year will see another trip in April - with either a mate or could be 2 or 3 boats ….. that will depend on my Christmas Whitsunday experience as I choose between there or Yeppoon .
    July or August should see another trip North which will pretty well do my holidays for the year .

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    What are your favorite shops (retail / online) for GT fishing gear ? .
    Down here in Sydney didn't think we had too many options . ..... certainly nothing like "Fish Head"

I've tried to get hold of some high end rods out of Japan & the US ..... but they either didn't have stock or backed out of selling.

Chris
    Following your thread with interest Chris as I`m in a similar situation as you. Did a Nomad trip earlier this year and I`m pretty well hooked on those topwater strikes.I like to do some pe 10 fishing, big poppers etc, but my interest is mostly in pe 8 and lighter stickbaiting on shallow reef.I`ve booked an Ashmore reef trip with Nomad in late November, 6 days fishing so don`t know how I`ll go. Taking my own gear for that one so have been doing a bit of shopping. You may allready know these sites but some I like are Richard at Elite tackle Airlie Beach, Ebbtide, Iso Fishing, Madfish Tackle in oz, Saltywater in the US and Plat and Saltwater in Japan. Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by robcam View Post
    Following your thread with interest Chris as I`m in a similar situation as you. Did a Nomad trip earlier this year and I`m pretty well hooked on those topwater strikes.I like to do some pe 10 fishing, big poppers etc, but my interest is mostly in pe 8 and lighter stickbaiting on shallow reef.I`ve booked an Ashmore reef trip with Nomad in late November, 6 days fishing so don`t know how I`ll go. Taking my own gear for that one so have been doing a bit of shopping. You may allready know these sites but some I like are Richard at Elite tackle Airlie Beach, Ebbtide, Iso Fishing, Madfish Tackle in oz, Saltywater in the US and Plat and Saltwater in Japan. Rob.
    Thanks Rob

I'm with you - I've pretty well set on PE8 too ...... so now have a heavier Pe8 (popping) & regular Pe8 for stickbaiting + a Pe 6 - Honestly .... fishing locked down Pe8 is pretty full on & if I cant stop that fish ... I dont wanna know it . I should be pretty well set up for my Christmas Whitsundays trip & if not ..... will be back there in April.

Yeh , pretty well know most these places - Fish head in Qld would be one of the best & I recently called into Iso Lifestyle in Sydney which was OK. I did pretty well at picking up a Ripplefisher Ultimo & Yamaga Blanks blue reef from Beverly Hills bait & tackle - saving myself some good coin (apparently the business is being sold).

Good luck on your Ashmore Reef trip ..... that would be pretty awesome. I thought about doing one next year - but decided to buy another boat & give it a good crack myself during 2019/20.

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Will be keen to hear how you go in the Whitsundays Chris as I have had the same intention myself. Got a house in Cannonvale for 2 weeks earlier this year before the Nomad trip with the aim of using Poppers and sticks where I usually use plastics. Unfortunately the weather gods weren`t smiling and it blew 20-25 south east most of the time (chance you take). Did get 1 1/2 good days of good weather but went back to what I know and chased Trout on plastics.One place worth a look is the tide lines that run off the bottom of Hook Island on the right tide, have seen GT`s etc busting up like mad there. When you say a light and heavy pe8 I assume you mean by the lure weight? Great thread....Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by robcam View Post
    Will be keen to hear how you go in the Whitsundays Chris as I have had the same intention myself. Got a house in Cannonvale for 2 weeks earlier this year before the Nomad trip with the aim of using Poppers and sticks where I usually use plastics. Unfortunately the weather gods weren`t smiling and it blew 20-25 south east most of the time (chance you take). Did get 1 1/2 good days of good weather but went back to what I know and chased Trout on plastics.One place worth a look is the tide lines that run off the bottom of Hook Island on the right tide, have seen GT`s etc busting up like mad there. When you say a light and heavy pe8 I assume you mean by the lure weight? Great thread....Rob.
    Yep - that area opposite the old underwater observatory at the south end of Hook is a cracker & one of the spots I'll be fishing first. I still remember the GTs there 20 years ago - BIG BLACK ONES …… but didn't have any interest in fishing for them or the ability to spot lock like we can today.

Bring it on.

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO