Thread: Hilux tyre size?

Hilux tyre size?

I have a 2012 SR5 diesel dual cab auto and need new tyres. It is my daily driver and I need tyres soon. Factory alloys (17”), so what is a good tyre size (bigger than standard 265/65R17) without fouling in the front? It has a 2” lift?

Re: Hilux tyre size?

hi Dave 265 /65 X 17 is 776 Mm high, 285 / 65 X 17 is 802 Mm high, 265 / 70 X 17 is 805 high, 285 / 70 X 17 is 831 high,
    can supply tyres Col

May not be a consideration but bigger tyres will increase your fuel burn. I went up one profile on a patrol and lost 100km of range by the speedo. Wouldn't have been a full hundred due to increasrd circumference but it did make a difference.

Isn't there a transport reg that says you can't increase overall diameter by more than 50mm? Tyre guy told me that when I put LTZ rims and tyres on my LX Colorado. It's over 50 difference but not too concerned as model varients had that size and they look fine so reckon transport inspectors would be more interested in chasing P platers in rice burners wheel wise. Interesting that the speedo is now bang on.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by DATCOL View Post
    hi Dave 265 /65 X 17 is 776 Mm high, 285 / 65 X 17 is 802 Mm high, 265 / 70 X 17 is 805 high, 285 / 70 X 17 is 831 high,
    can supply tyres Col
    Thanks Col. Can you pm me you phone number please?

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    May not be a consideration but bigger tyres will increase your fuel burn. I went up one profile on a patrol and lost 100km of range by the speedo. Wouldn't have been a full hundred due to increasrd circumference but it did make a difference.
    Hi Scott, yes I have heard this too.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealPoMo View Post
    Isn't there a transport reg that says you can't increase overall diameter by more than 50mm? Tyre guy told me that when I put LTZ rims and tyres on my LX Colorado. It's over 50 difference but not too concerned as model varients had that size and they look fine so reckon transport inspectors would be more interested in chasing P platers in rice burners wheel wise. Interesting that the speedo is now bang on.

Yes, you are correct. Can’t go any taller (diameter) than 50mm more than the manufacturers largest tyre available. I think I read that width is restricted to a maximum of 1.3 times manufacturer largest tyre too.

I am am leaning toward a 270/70r17. Just want to ensure whatever. I go for doesn’t foul in the front guards. I am off to Fraser for a week soon, so want to get this sorted by then.

Thanks,
    Dave.

Go with COL, he's in the industry, it's only in recent years Toyota has realised we want to put bigger and wider tyres on our 4bys, now they've actually put bether clearance on their hiluxs.

Our guys are putting 265/70/17's on the fleet hilux's with no lift. I run the same size on the ranger.
    nil carborundum illegitimi

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    Go with COL, he's in the industry, it's only in recent years Toyota has realised we want to put bigger and wider tyres on our 4bys, now they've actually put bether clearance on their hiluxs.
    Thanks Sam. Col has helped me in the past with trailer tyres, so I will chat with him.

Quote Originally Posted by GBC View Post
    Our guys are putting 265/70/17's on the fleet hilux's with no lift. I run the same size on the ranger.
    Thanks GBC. I will likely go this size too now.

I run 265/70/17 BFG all terrain with an overall diameter of 803mm. I was going to go 275/70/17 with an overall diameter of 818mm.The bigger size was $80 a corner more. Not worth it for an extra 15mm lift IMO.... a handy link below

https://tiresize.com/calculator/

I am not in danger, I am the danger - Walter White

Wouldn't it be extra 7.5mm lift?