Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clark Legend and Stessco Gulf Runner???

Ausfish Silver Member jackson4300's Avatar

Question Clark Legend and Stessco Gulf Runner???

Went down to the Brisbane boat show over the weekend, always looking for a new boat as it can be hard to take a couple of blokes out in the 3.7m edge tracker....

Looking for a side console around the 5m, up until this show I hadn't seen much that I actually liked.
    They had a couple of the 4.9m Stessco Gulf Runners which looked nice as well as the 5.2m Clark Legend.

The Gulf Runner does come out in a 5.2m version, which has max HP at 100 and Transom Weight 190KG (not sure if this is specifically motor weight).
    The Legend in the 5.2m has a max HP at 115 and MAX H/P Weight of 181kg.
    Not too sure what to make of that, one can take a heavier motor but less Hp than the other?

Legend has a bigger beam at 2.35m while the gulf runner is 2.29m.
    Legend has an overall length of 5.38m while the runner is 5.42m
    Legend has depth of 1.06m while runner is 1.21.
    Runner has 3mm top sides and 4mm bottom sides while the legend is all 3mm.
    The runner base hull weight is also 50kg lighter.

If anyone has owned or had any experiences with either hull (good or bad) I would love to hear it.
    Would also love to hear any opinions on these or anything similar.

Re: Clark Legend and Stessco Gulf Runner???

Fish in a 5.2 Stessco Gulf Runner with a 2018 Suzuki Df100b a few times a year. The boat feels surprisingly solid. Goes pretty well in small chop and moderate conditions offshore. Feels safe on all headings with no bad habits. Does about 35 knots flat out, and cruises at about 20 knots at 10 litres an hour. Is a pretty stable boat with 2 people on the same side no issue.

Thanks robothefisho, appreciate the feedback.

Ausfish Silver Member

Jacko, wish I had something of Robo' s info above to share with you however I have not been in those craft.

I did go to the boat show and my keenest attention was on both those rigs you mentioned. I was hoping to see a Formosa 4500 SC or a Tabs 4700 SC . No Formosa 455 s to be seen- smallest was a 4.8 m . Not a whiff of any TABS which was a bit sad.

I could not pick the better on the floor. It would be great to take them both out for a test drive.

Anyways all the best in the search.

Good luck.

Ausfish Silver Member

aint owned either, but looking at smaller tinnies i was very keen on the stessco or clark boats, there are a few other builders not bought out and mass produced but these 2 were in my scope for locally built etc price was good and i was convinced they were a lot more quality then mass produced models sold out to big companies, its a same weve lost a few aussie icons, but stessco and clark to name a few are still going strong. if i had more cash at the time id have one of em in my yard now...
    ill be somewhere up the creek, happy trails..

Hi i am placing an order for the stessco 490 gulfrunner this week and should have it in six weeks i am stepping down from a 20 foot plate. I havent driven either the clark or the stessco but something about tye stessci just looked right. It will be used in open sea and up the creek. I could put some feedback up here once i get her out if you like. Oh i am putting a 90 horse merc on the back with ct thrust. I wasnt so sure i needed the bigger leg.

Open sea from where Pueter? Be interested to know if it copes with south east to central qld swell.

Hi Shiek i leave from Keppel Sands and usually fish out past the Keppels i am curious as well to see how it goes it was impossible to get a ride in one as they are scarce. But that horrible SE chop will be a good test. All the boat reviews i have read leve me to believe it will handle it ok

Looks like a nice little boat mate and it will be fine as long as you pick your days. I had a stessco catcher and it was a nice little hull. Very jealous, hope you enjoy taking it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheik View Post
    Looks like a nice little boat mate and it will be fine as long as you pick your days. I had a stessco catcher and it was a nice little hull. Very jealous, hope you enjoy taking it out.
    Thanks mate

Will definitely be happy to hear a review, only issue I have 'heard' about with the gulf runner is the finish in regard to welds. Not a structural issue but aesthetically.
    Haven't heard any bad reviews, I am also jealous, hopefully you get some decent weather to get out.

Quote Originally Posted by jackson4300 View Post
    Will definitely be happy to hear a review, only issue I have 'heard' about with the gulf runner is the finish in regard to welds. Not a structural issue but aesthetically.
    Haven't heard any bad reviews, I am also jealous, hopefully you get some decent weather to get out.
    No worries i will have the boat and give a review in a few more weeks. I guess welding is one of those things that unless robot welded is dependent on the tradesman at the time. Lets hope i get the good ones when they put my boat together. Fingers crossed. Funny enough Keppel bay if you can get out early enough it usually blows up later in the day SE or NE either way i dont mind coming back in a following sea. But i will miss the big boat i just sold which gave me more available days in the water. But i needed something to go out in the bay and up the creek. So lets hope the gamble works.

A review as promised. First impressions were great the boat is a great size welding was good but there were a couple of spots were they forgot to polish. If you had a painted hull you wouldnt have noticed. I did find a couple of spots on the outer hull which still had a bit of black on them. The fit out is very neat with no ugly surprises and the storage under the front is massive. Mine came fitted with a rear folding bimini which looks great up but it is near impossible with only one person to get enough tension to put the horizontal brace arms up. We took the boat which is mated with a 90 horse power command thrust with the 115 leg out for an island run in keppel bay. we left into a 10 to 15 knot SE wind with a 1 meter short sharp chop. We were dead into it at first and i couldnt get the nose down enough for my own preference probably due to the large motor. Trim Tabs or more weight at the front could resolve this. The ride was surprisingly good but after a couple of good old spine rattlers we proceeded to a 60 degree tack to the waves and the ride was much better.We never got off the plane though the whole trip. Note to anyone buying, the seats look good but after a couple of thumps your arse is sitting on the base and you will feel every bump. I would get some good high density foam seats if you are doing a lot of rough stuff. We stopped frequently and turned the boat at a number of angles to the waves. The boat is remarkably stable and i could easily walk around even side on to the swell. I found that it was also easy to stand and drive the boat if required. I had spray chimes installed on the boat and they worked well and i only copped a little bit of spray. Behind the Keppels the swell picked up to abour 1.5 meters and we trolled at about six to eight knots the boat stability was a real stand out and it felt sure footed in any angle. We were lucky enough to snag a large spanish and while reversing up hard we had no water enter over the back. I would have liked a couple of rod holder at the front of the boat which i [didnt ask for i just assumed they would be there. The kill tank was effective and did its job and was conveniently placed beside the helm. We returned to Rossely Bay with a following sea between 1.5 to a meter and the boat was exceptional in a following sea. With a retreating tide and a shallow bay i never got hit with any spray and it was a very comfortable trip home at about 18 knots. The motor after 4 hours running used 8.2 litres an hour which is impressive. The big Merc was a good match and was very very quiet. Retrieving the boat should have been easy with the dunbar trailer due to its self aligning design but we found the spray chimes would come in contact with the slide bars and push the nose either way. I sank the trailer deeper and that seemed to resolve this. Overall i was very happy with the boat it was exceptional in open water and in a following sea. I will get the trim right on an incoming sea or weight the front a bit and the head on ride will improve dramatically. It drives like a much bigger boat than the 490 and because i stepped down from a 610 i was expecting less than it is. It certainly created a lot of interest and favourable comments at the boat ramp from other fishos who have been waiting to see one in the flesh. I picked up my package from Southern Fish Marine, Anthony and Wendy did a fantastic package and really set it up for fishing. I hope this helps guys

4.jpg[QUOTThis id the new setup rod holders have been installed down the side. E=pueter66;1655229]A review as promised. First impressions were great the boat is a great size welding was good but there were a couple of spots were they forgot to polish. If you had a painted hull you wouldnt have noticed. I did find a couple of spots on the outer hull which still had a bit of black on them. The fit out is very neat with no ugly surprises and the storage under the front is massive. Mine came fitted with a rear folding bimini which looks great up but it is near impossible with only one person to get enough tension to put the horizontal brace arms up. We took the boat which is mated with a 90 horse power command thrust with the 115 leg out for an island run in keppel bay. we left into a 10 to 15 knot SE wind with a 1 meter short sharp chop. We were dead into it at first and i couldnt get the nose down enough for my own preference probably due to the large motor. Trim Tabs or more weight at the front could resolve this. The ride was surprisingly good but after a couple of good old spine rattlers we proceeded to a 60 degree tack to the waves and the ride was much better.We never got off the plane though the whole trip. Note to anyone buying, the seats look good but after a couple of thumps your arse is sitting on the base and you will feel every bump. I would get some good high density foam seats if you are doing a lot of rough stuff. We stopped frequently and turned the boat at a number of angles to the waves. The boat is remarkably stable and i could easily walk around even side on to the swell. I found that it was also easy to stand and drive the boat if required. I had spray chimes installed on the boat and they worked well and i only copped a little bit of spray. Behind the Keppels the swell picked up to abour 1.5 meters and we trolled at about six to eight knots the boat stability was a real stand out and it felt sure footed in any angle. We were lucky enough to snag a large spanish and while reversing up hard we had no water enter over the back. I would have liked a couple of rod holder at the front of the boat which i [didnt ask for i just assumed they would be there. The kill tank was effective and did its job and was conveniently placed beside the helm. We returned to Rossely Bay with a following sea between 1.5 to a meter and the boat was exceptional in a following sea. With a retreating tide and a shallow bay i never got hit with any spray and it was a very comfortable trip home at about 18 knots. The motor after 4 hours running used 8.2 litres an hour which is impressive. The big Merc was a good match and was very very quiet. Retrieving the boat should have been easy with the dunbar trailer due to its self aligning design but we found the spray chimes would come in contact with the slide bars and push the nose either way. I sank the trailer deeper and that seemed to resolve this. Overall i was very happy with the boat it was exceptional in open water and in a following sea. I will get the trim right on an incoming sea or weight the front a bit and the head on ride will improve dramatically. It drives like a much bigger boat than the 490 and because i stepped down from a 610 i was expecting less than it is. It certainly created a lot of interest and favourable comments at the boat ramp from other fishos who have been waiting to see one in the flesh. I picked up my package from Southern Fish Marine, Anthony and Wendy did a fantastic package and really set it up for fishing. I hope this helps guys[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by pueter66 View Post
    4.jpg[QUOTThis id the new setup rod holders have been installed down the side. E=pueter66;1655229]A review as promised. First impressions were great the boat is a great size welding was good but there were a couple of spots were they forgot to polish. If you had a painted hull you wouldnt have noticed. I did find a couple of spots on the outer hull which still had a bit of black on them. The fit out is very neat with no ugly surprises and the storage under the front is massive. Mine came fitted with a rear folding bimini which looks great up but it is near impossible with only one person to get enough tension to put the horizontal brace arms up. We took the boat which is mated with a 90 horse power command thrust with the 115 leg out for an island run in keppel bay. we left into a 10 to 15 knot SE wind with a 1 meter short sharp chop. We were dead into it at first and i couldnt get the nose down enough for my own preference probably due to the large motor. Trim Tabs or more weight at the front could resolve this. The ride was surprisingly good but after a couple of good old spine rattlers we proceeded to a 60 degree tack to the waves and the ride was much better.We never got off the plane though the whole trip. Note to anyone buying, the seats look good but after a couple of thumps your arse is sitting on the base and you will feel every bump. I would get some good high density foam seats if you are doing a lot of rough stuff. We stopped frequently and turned the boat at a number of angles to the waves. The boat is remarkably stable and i could easily walk around even side on to the swell. I found that it was also easy to stand and drive the boat if required. I had spray chimes installed on the boat and they worked well and i only copped a little bit of spray. Behind the Keppels the swell picked up to abour 1.5 meters and we trolled at about six to eight knots the boat stability was a real stand out and it felt sure footed in any angle. We were lucky enough to snag a large spanish and while reversing up hard we had no water enter over the back. I would have liked a couple of rod holder at the front of the boat which i [didnt ask for i just assumed they would be there. The kill tank was effective and did its job and was conveniently placed beside the helm. We returned to Rossely Bay with a following sea between 1.5 to a meter and the boat was exceptional in a following sea. With a retreating tide and a shallow bay i never got hit with any spray and it was a very comfortable trip home at about 18 knots. The motor after 4 hours running used 8.2 litres an hour which is impressive. The big Merc was a good match and was very very quiet. Retrieving the boat should have been easy with the dunbar trailer due to its self aligning design but we found the spray chimes would come in contact with the slide bars and push the nose either way. I sank the trailer deeper and that seemed to resolve this. Overall i was very happy with the boat it was exceptional in open water and in a following sea. I will get the trim right on an incoming sea or weight the front a bit and the head on ride will improve dramatically. It drives like a much bigger boat than the 490 and because i stepped down from a 610 i was expecting less than it is. It certainly created a lot of interest and favourable comments at the boat ramp from other fishos who have been waiting to see one in the flesh. I picked up my package from Southern Fish Marine, Anthony and Wendy did a fantastic package and really set it up for fishing. I hope this helps guys
    [/QUOTE]Nice mate, very happy it's doing good out wide. Should be good up the creek too.

Sent from my [device_name] using Ausfish mobile app