Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: new boat , things to do

Re: new boat , things to do

Quote Originally Posted by ericcs View Post
    is it possible to relocate the portable fuel tank up the front so you can remove ballast, and shift some weight forward?
    Yes I have already moved it forward. Now fuel tanks as ballast have one problem, you tend to use up the ballast. I am getting sand bags from bunnings. they are 20kg and relatively flat 300x300x50mm. In this form, the weight is spread a little rather than concentrated in one pin point. Its also more stable so it doesnt roll around with the boat. I can also form a small indentation to place the fuel tank in so it doesnt slide around everywhere.
    The good thing about the basic quintrex fit out is the abundance of storage. Much more than i will ever use. Even the live bait tank is superfluous to me. I dont use it. There is significant storage for light items in this area. I havent quite figured how to plug the holes yet as to me it is a unregulated heavy weight behind the center of gravity. I will probably leave the motor hooked up and plug up the bottom drain ( its not really a drain when water comes in freely ) Will this motor have enough oompf for cleaning hose? I am not going to go all out finding things to put in either. It has more value to me being clean and uncluttered.

along with the 50l tank kit i added i also installed a motoguide x15 and 40kg of batteries to the front of the boat.
    still the nose rides up a little on take off, its just how a light weight tinny with the passenger sitting a midships gets going
    previous boats tinnies have been hornets and explorers and this would be worse them all

the stacer version isnt as bad, different bottom shape and affected differently with suction etc as you build speed and climb up an don top of the water

So another outing , this time on my own. I have 60kg of sand up front and i moved the fuel tank up forward so altogether 95kg moved forward.
    It does go better but the bow still wants to ride up. Its trimmed in all the way yet i have minimal trim action. When i trim out to midway it blows ever so slightly. Its much better on the plane but i wouldnt say i had full or good control. It really does feel like a rear wheel steering car.
    I dont want to add anymore sand up forward because its still an issue between moving and getting on the plane. Unless i bog it down with lots of weight, i will still have a problem.
    So i thought trim tabs, but i just dont have height below the swim platform on the lefthand side.

So following up on the Se300 thread, I will bight the bullet and get one. Only downside anyone has complained about is a following sea. So , if i do what i normally do, stay in front, there should be no bad issues. And i do have power aplenty to do just that. My one corncern is that once on the plane the handling wont change from what it is now. So prop selection may still come into the equation. I may have to drop the prop another 1/2'' too. But lets see what the foil brings to the table first.

Fuel burn was 10ltr per hr at 5000 rpm. Speed around 42km/hr. ( 15" prop) ( readings from AXIOM) Not sure if thats any good, but seems ok to me. The 50 has plenty of poke when provoked, for this size of boat.

as an aside, i saw a 440 with a 60yamaha on the back perform exactly as mine did stock standard- motor bogged down at low speeds bow in the air. I guess once you get below a certain weight, its hard to get the dynamics right from the get go.

how hard are you taking off ?
    if babying it just punch it and will climb on to the plane quick enough, i have the 50hp yamaha four stroke and with a battery and bow mount i dont have the issues yoru describing.

the etec even though smaller displacement is suppose to have more grunt so should be doing it easy
    the big flat surfaces of the quintrex v the stacer V version have more suction to counter when taking off.

if you just gingerly increase revs it will do what you say , as long as the engines mounted at the correct height

Quote Originally Posted by stevej View Post
    how hard are you taking off ?
    if babying it just punch it and will climb on to the plane quick enough, i have the 50hp yamaha four stroke and with a battery and bow mount i dont have the issues yoru describing.

the etec even though smaller displacement is suppose to have more grunt so should be doing it easy
    the big flat surfaces of the quintrex v the stacer V version have more suction to counter when taking off.

if you just gingerly increase revs it will do what you say , as long as the engines mounted at the correct height
    well really, there is only one option to get on the plane, give it stick. This goes against everything i understand about mechanical sympathy, lol.

I thought about a foil, but then i ran into other issues. I dont want to drill holes into the cav plate. It wont help handling when on the plane. It will help get on the plane quicker, so it is tempting.
    So now i am thinking trim tabs. Smart tabs are not expensive. Only hassle is swim platform on one side, but scottar had a solution many years ago in another forum, cut a hole in the platform. This will give me the added benefit of more control on the plane compared to foils.

you have a two stroke outboard, giving it a bootfull is not being unkind to it.
    corrosion will kill it first

try it first before adding anything

Check that the outboard is mounted at the correct height before you do anything else. You can also look at a wedge to assist with trimming down if required

Guys, i have been around boats before, i am not adverse to giving it stick. Its the 2500 -4000 rpm range thats the main problem. I have to crash through to 5000 to get on plane then when i back off slightly, it falls off. so i am on/off the throttle all the time. On a perfectly calm day, its not a real problem, but in PPB, it hardly ever is. I have to keep it fully trimmed in to keep on the plane. This is crap because then the steering becomes very heavy and the boat wanders around. Precisely at the speed and rpm MOST required to travel through the slop. To be frank, its a dog at the moment.
    And yes it is at the correct height, jackplate and all. trimming down is not the big issue here, its having the hull sit level at "normal speeds" without constantly wanking on the controls.

well something is wrong as there are thousands of those combos out there and they dont do what your saying
    thats with a foil or not

there would be alot more yamahas out there though as more quintrex dealers are aligned with yamaha because of their y loan finance packages

well something is wrong as there are thousands of those combos out there and they dont do what your saying
    thats with a foil or not

there would be alot more yamahas out there though as more quintrex dealers are aligned with yamaha because of their y loan finance packages
    well i saw a 440 with the bow in the air and motor half submerged, yamaha 60, so i would say there is quite a large number with similar issues. I am not disparaging the boat, just pointing out that they are not setup right from the get go. And dont tell me the cav plate 2" under water on the plane is normal or to improve the situation, the motor needs to go lower.
    It suggests to me a lot of people are just putting up with it, not knowing any better.

not trying to be disparaging here its a pretty simple boat and it should work, join the renegade owners club on facebook and ask the question there, plenty of happy owners.
    my cav plate sits level with the surface at wot with no crazy spray but you cant compare a yamaha to a etec with bolt hole positions as every manufacturers leg lengths are slightly different

these are just a step up from a basic tinny thats why they are cheaper then a topender, the stacer has the better bottom shape.

the dealer i got mine through sells 4-5 renegades a week so it seems they know how to set them up and ive had none of the issues you have

it could also be the engine type and the etec just makes torque higher up the rev range then the 4 stroke
    from racing 2 strokes thats what i have experienced

the 50hp yamahas a 4 cylinder 996cc at 110kg
    the etec 50 is a 2 cyclinder 863cc at 113kg

your dealer should be fixing this, i can tow two adults in a tube at 3000 ish rpm and not drop off the plane
    have never fish with 4 adults on it though

not trying to be disparaging here its a pretty simple boat and it should work, join the renegade owners club on facebook and ask the question there, plenty of happy owners.
    my cav plate sits level with the surface at wot with no crazy spray but you cant compare a yamaha to a etec with bolt hole positions as every manufacturers leg lengths are slightly different

these are just a step up from a basic tinny thats why they are cheaper then a topender, the stacer has the better bottom shape.

the dealer i got mine through sells 4-5 renegades a week so it seems they know how to set them up and ive had none of the issues you have

it could also be the engine type and the etec just makes torque higher up the rev range then the 4 stroke
    from racing 2 strokes thats what i have experienced

the 50hp yamahas a 4 cylinder 996cc at 110kg
    the etec 50 is a 2 cyclinder 863cc at 113kg

your dealer should be fixing this, i can tow two adults in a tube at 3000 ish rpm and not drop off the plane
    have never fish with 4 adults on it though
    so your solution is to get the dealer to set it up again? The same dealer who suggested the cav plate at 2" underwater wasnt down enough?

how am i to know who suggested what, did you read the bit about different engines performing differently as well ?

go find another quintrex dealer.

how am i to know who suggested what, did you read the bit about different engines performing differently as well ?

go find another quintrex dealer.
    sorry for getting a bit terse, but I have done all of what you suggested.
    Have you read the whole thread?
    I am now well and trully past that stage.

When my finances will permit, next pay day, i will get the smart tabs. at $179, they are cheaper than no drill foils. I will then play with that setup. If the tabs do all as they say, it will fix the boat up no end.

Andy, I am keen to hear how the smart tabs go. Please keep us posted. Cheers Winston.