Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: new boat , things to do

Unhappy new boat , things to do

quintrex 420 renegade sc.

Well I picked up the boat on a beautiful day here in PPB. So off to werribee we went.
    First thing to do is transform trailer to drive on. A couple of guides are cheap enough. Second thing to do is buy a jackplate. The cav plate is buried about an inch under the water. The motor is on the second last hole so it only has about 1/2'. It gets on the plane but boy does she nose up before hand, lol. The steering is heavy too. all symptoms of a low motor. I managed to get to 25m/hr at 5000rpm. I didnt want to push it too far on the first trip. I think it will make over 30m/hr when setup properly. Possibly 35.

As for the blade hull, yes its a ripper. A jump ahead of the millenium hull for sure. Its definitely not a banger. The other thing i noticed was the clean water between the motor and outside strakes. This means the transom bracket is in a good position. Fitting of the axiom 9 will be this week.

Most importantly, I had a big flatty on the hook. He got off on the surface so i dropped the line and he had another go but i think i was too eager and lost him a second time. So no food tonight. hahahaha.

Re: new boat , things to do

Andy don't lift a Flatties head out of the water without having it netted they will shake and spit the hook, i have caught a few big breeders in my time this is my last but not my biggest 92cm caught in Botany Bay a red hot location 15 meters off the Sydney Airport Runway on a live Poddy Mullet

how did you go with the side console, did you have to counter balance with an esky?

Not at all. It sits pretty flat. The only issue is the seat pedestals are too high: not a hard fix.

Gazza, it spat the hook a meter or so from the surface.

Andy you'll probably find that 5000 rpm is almost full throttle so u have been caning the ass off the boat already lol, did u read the outboard owners manual for break in procedure?

Can't you life the motor high enough without a jack plate?

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    Andy you'll probably find that 5000 rpm is almost full throttle so u have been caning the ass off the boat already lol, did u read the outboard owners manual for break in procedure?
    I think you are misinformed. Its full range is 5500-6000. No breakin period.
    It did 5000rpm with ease but i pulled back to 4000-4500.

I spoke to the dealer and they want to check where its at. So before i do anything, i will let them play with it. But in all honesty, if the cav plate is about 1" under water, going one hole more up is only going to go 1/2" up. Like i said , i will let the dealer have a look first. I can get a manual jackplate from the US for under $300.

There is thousands on those around (I have one kind of) and unless the mounting holes were drilled too low, there should be plenty of room to lift it up clear of the bottom.

One hole should be more than 1/2"

So u have a E-Tec? there were a lot o discussions back in the day when they first came out about the no break in a lot of people were umming an arring about it i donno where long term users sit today all the ones who didn't do the break in or in fact the ones who did its an old discussion

i personally like to run anything mechanical in with a run in period

there is really no difference between 5k 5.5k other than 500rpm extra which is idle speed

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    One hole should be more than 1/2"
    i havent measured the lift of one hole, just had a rough look. It looks like 1/2 to 3/4"

the other statement has crossed my mind too. Lets just see how it pans out. It may take a while for me to get the boat to the dealer, so in the meantime, i am going to fit the axiom.

Look, i beg to differ. I Look at 6000rpm as my objective at wot. I see 5000/5500 at wot as lugging the motor. The fact that it pulled 5000 effortlessly whilst being low , the extra drag and all, suggests it isnt under any strain. I sat on 5000 for a whole 10secs, so i tried to vary the revs but i sat on 4000/4500 most of the time. so i am not totally without mechanical sympathy.
    the interesting thing is how odd the boat behaves when the motor is too low. Once on plane, the only noticeable issue is the heavy steering and very minimal trim control. Having said all that, this is going to be an awsome boat when this is sorted. The hull just feels so well planted and soft.

I'm guessing you've got an external keel so they have probably got it set up right. (Conservative?)
    Was the 5000 RPM at WOT?

I guess in a kind of way "running in" was a left over from decades ago when cars and so on where just bolted together "tight" and some measure of running in was expected, these days of much higher tolerances, far better materials and much better assembly, I tend to think as long as you are not some kind of lunatic with the motor, then variable speeds up to max RPM is fine, and probably best for motor longevity, all dealers who water test new boats run them to max RPM for testing purposes, and this is when they are almost straight out of the box.