Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: new boat , things to do

Re: new boat , things to do

also
    Most of the replies have been while I e been in the boat so may have been a bit blunt

I’ve not had much sleep this last week 2.30 am starts to get a high tide

Quote Originally Posted by Andy56 View Post
    Scottar
    Look as to the engine running away, i have had that experience before but its not really a motor fault. Its just that the torque curve sits sque-iff of the boat speed. I countered that issue on my signature by going to a 4 blade prop . As if by magic the problem disappeared. The extra grip of the blades tamed the torque nicely.
    So i know what your on about, but thats not the issue here. . What your describing comes on slowly. Its just too dramatic an action
    All good Andy. Look forward to the results of the tab tests.

Quote Originally Posted by stevej View Post
    also
    Most of the replies have been while I e been in the boat so may have been a bit blunt

I’ve not had much sleep this last week 2.30 am starts to get a high tide
    ouch, just the thought of going to work the next day turns me off, lol

I have been following this thread and interested to see how this turns out with the trim tabs.

I have a 4.2 stessco tinny. It is like all the other boats i’ve had in that size, squirt the throttle and once on the plane all good. I hold a plane at 3900 revs with a 40hp 4 Stoke which seems right to me.

I don’t expect this to perform any different, it doesn’t point the nose to the sky unless I have it trimmed out. It’s a tinny after all I take it to the reef in fnq but I have moved the fuel tank forward and put in a forward console.

Quote Originally Posted by Crooked View Post
    I have been following this thread and interested to see how this turns out with the trim tabs.

I have a 4.2 stessco tinny. It is like all the other boats i’ve had in that size, squirt the throttle and once on the plane all good. I hold a plane at 3900 revs with a 40hp 4 Stoke which seems right to me.

I don’t expect this to perform any different, it doesn’t point the nose to the sky unless I have it trimmed out. It’s a tinny after all I take it to the reef in fnq but I have moved the fuel tank forward and put in a forward console.
    The revs don't matter IMO. It's the boat speed that counts when it gets snotty. My 4.5 could hold a clean plane via the use of trim with the foil at 8 knots. It made transiting rough water easy on the boat (and on me) albeit slowly. Speeding up to get the bow down so it wasn't burning massive amounts of fuel without the foil in the same conditions meant a trip to the dentist to get your fillings put back in.

ok, so many options this weekend yet shit wind conditions predicted. No work today so i took a chance and headed off to Mornington.
    A bit lumpy but i thought perfect to test the tabs.
    So first impression is that it does sit flat, lol. Motor height does seem ok, no ventilation. Its on the plane at 2500rpm and sits there, no bow pointing to mars getting there. 3000-3500rpm seems to be a good setting to just plow on..
    As shit happens, my misses got sea sick 15min in so i took her to back to the boat ramp. As i leave, i start feeling a bit green too.
    So i start fishing by just drifting in and out of an area, punching it to see how it goes through the slop. Within the boats limits it now does as its told. If i punch it too hard it will still jump off a wave skywards, but thats just being too keen and asking the impossible from a 400kg tinnie. Its handling has been improved too. It used to be " flighty" and bounce around a fair bit, now it just turns flat.
    I now need some good flat conditions to fine tune the setup. The tabs are in the middle position so i have lots of experimenting to do here. The motor too may need fine height adjustments. I was concerned that the tabs would lift the stern to an extent the motor would be out of the water, but that was a false alarm.

What i have now is a jackplate to raise the motor, a good 6" more than the transom mounting holes allowed. 35kg moved forward, 60kg sand bags up forward. Smart tabs. I think all three complement each other in turning a flighty and barely controllable boat into something less difficult and frustrating to drive in bad conditions.

I also feel that the jackplate certainly helped with the motor height but by being 4" further back, it created a weight lever to lift the bow ( at least thats what i suspect). Fortunately the smart tabs seem to have mopped up all the remaining issues. I wonder what i would have done if i went straight to smart tabs? Would i have gone with the jackplate? But seeing as the motor is way way higher with no ventilation, i suspect it still would have been way way too low anyway.
    in the words of a greatful dead song, " what a long strange trip its been"

Saw your post on Facebook after finding the page and joining

If it’s all worked in the end then a good outcome

Quote Originally Posted by stevej View Post
    Saw your post on Facebook after finding the page and joining

If it’s all worked in the end then a good outcome
    alls well that ends well i say.

Wow finally

You definitely have more patience and perseverance than me. Congrats

I thought i would drag out this old post because........
    Well i looked at the transom and how high i have the motor with the jack plate. About 5". Its so friggin obvious to me whats going on now!
    The renegades with the chopped transom should have a motor with a 20" leg. No if or buts. Thats the only explanation that ticks all the boxes. So I have a 25" leg on my etec.
    I think its crazy how telwater dont have a handle on something so friggin obvious to boating. The dealer has my benefit of the doubt, they take instructions from the manufacturer.
    I know its taken me a year to have the penny drop, a durrr.

What are you trying to say or imply ?

the old renegades and the new ones only have one transom height to suit a long shaft roughly 20 inch shaft length (every manufacturer is slightly different by a small amount)
    https://www.evinrude.com.au/Engines/40HP.aspx
    etec 40 only comes in 20inch shaft

would be thousands of these boats out there now all the people who have fitted max hp seem to have no issue.

Stevej, Mine has a 25" leg.. I have a 50hp etec.. That explains why it felt and drove like a submarine and pointed the nose sky high on take off. I just wonder how many others are set up this way. It explains why some boats are great out of the block and many others not so.

That’s not a hull, 4v2 stroke or setup issue, that’s a dealer fitting the wrong engine leg length to a boat issue.

Still didn’t know they did a ultra long leg on the 40/50 etec

Either dealer or Telwater if it was factory fit. Either a plain and simple mistake, no long shafts in stock at time of order or a deliberate attempt to move old/ hard to sell stock. Pretty annoying. Dealer probably should have picked it up regardless at the pre delivery if they were on the ball.

I can't find a 25" 50HP anywhere on the BRP website Andy?