Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: new boat , things to do

Re: new boat , things to do

What you are seeing isn't a fault Andy - your own observation should lead you to this - "on a perfectly calm day it isn't really an issue". What I am going to say next may be poorly received by some but - it's a 4.4 metre tinnie mate - it's designed to be used in conditions that are pretty pretty much perfectly calm - same as pretty much any other boat that size apart from a few specialty hulls and certainly the same as any other tinnie the same size. I've lived your issue with my 4.5 that I used for extensive offshore work - difference being it only had a 40hp which meant two things - less transom weight (initially at least until I added other stuff) and with less horsepower the engine was closer to it's happy place in relation to the torque curve at the lower speed - something Steve touched on and a phenomenon I have seen before not just in tinnies but also in bigger offshore rigs using different horse power ratings with the same motor (so identical weight) and I still needed stern lift to get a good ride at low speed.

In my opinion (for what that is worth) you are simply using the boat outside it's design brief - not a problem as such - you simply need to make the necessary modifications to make your hull work the way you need it too. You are on the right track by going looking for stern lift IMO. Personally I would simply drill the holes and go with the foil but there is always more than one way to skin a cat and the Smart tabs should do the same job - much the same way they worked for Geb on the Etec forum. There was a bracket for the top mount on the smart tabs that allowed variation of their positioning - not sure if it was standard supply or optional but IMO worth getting if not standard supply - just gives that bit more adjustability to lift levels

if we were at a pub boat ramp wherever and having a chat it would be so much simpler, if your in nsw come down for a cod fish and drive mine

i fill the front live well. give it a squirt to get over the hump and done, stay above 2500ish rpm and keep on the plane

as scottar said i have they are just a big blinged up dingy and have some draw backs, i think quite a few things are at play and depending on fit out and engine fitted sometimes you can get handling quirks

Quote Originally Posted by stevej View Post
    if we were at a pub boat ramp wherever and having a chat it would be so much simpler, if your in nsw come down for a cod fish and drive mine

i fill the front live well. give it a squirt to get over the hump and done, stay above 2500ish rpm and keep on the plane

as scottar said i have they are just a big blinged up dingy and have some draw backs, i think quite a few things are at play and depending on fit out and engine fitted sometimes you can get handling quirks
    Yea, been going over in my mind. I just dropped the motor about 1/2" Its still above the bottom of the hull. Maybe i raised it just a smidgen too much.

I hear what you guys are saying about its limitations, but it is capable of so much more when setup properly. It gives hints every now and then.
    I think that getting more lift from the stern is the better option at this stage.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy56 View Post
    Yea, been going over in my mind. I just dropped the motor about 1/2" Its still above the bottom of the hull. Maybe i raised it just a smidgen too much.

I hear what you guys are saying about its limitations, but it is capable of so much more when setup properly. It gives hints every now and then.
    I think that getting more lift from the stern is the better option at this stage.
    From my own experimentation with engine height - by the time you get to the absolute best height for straight line performance, it will aerate in pretty much any sort of turn unless trimmed right in - all due to the keel taking water away from the prop. I had to run mine one hole down. I would trim down to get onto the plane - with the foil it would come up flat and then trim up - you could actually feel when the foil reached the point it was no longer creating drag as I trimmed up at higher speeds - everything would release and come free - and if I turned to watch what was going on down the back, the excess spray from around the leg would drop away at around the same time.

When it got snotty and I had to slow down, the level of trim in was directly proportional to just how snotty it was and just how slow I wanted to go. Yes - the steering would get a bit heavier but at the reduced boat speed it wasn't unbearable and when I changed to hydraulic steering it didn't matter at all apart from if I gave it the beans with the leg trimmed in too far it would push the nose down. I had no issue with lifting the nose when required by trimming out and indeed it was a technique I used on more than one occasion to get myself out of operator induced oh shit moments when crossing South Passage bar

It will be interesting to see the comparative results from the smart tabs given the lift is fixed relative to boat speed (apart from the adjustment bracket if fitted).

andy how are you going with this ?

andy how are you going with this ?
    Ran out of money so have to wait a couple more weeks. When your on contract and everyone stops for christmas holidays, guess who doesnt earn any money, lol.
    Every outing is about $50 so i havent done too much. I have played with the motor height a bit more. Coming down a 1/2" has made it better but i am hanging out for the smart tabs in a couple of weeks.

all good just wanted to see how you got on
    took mine out today

So i finally got payed and bought the smart tabs, 9510-40.
    Installation was very basic apart from the cut out for the piston on the left side.
    Now, i have to wait for the next weekend to go for a ride.
    Attached Images Attached Images

No

Sent from my [device_name] using Ausfish mobile app

interesting i hope they work

but then ive never seen a 420 with trim tabs, the local dealer had 10 ready for pick up the weekend before last

interesting i hope they work

but then ive never seen a 420 with trim tabs, the local dealer had 10 ready for pick up the weekend before last
    so many owners with similar issues, permatrim shares are a safe investment, lol

So many owners with no issues you mean ?

I mean the local dealer had ten new rigs to go on Saturday just gone
    Not ten new boats to be fixed

I’m down at Narooma with mine for the week and a quick squirt and on the plane just like any other boat I’ve owned from 3.8 to 5.8m.

Wot with the Yamaha one up 52kph
    Full live well
    120ah battery
    50l fuel

The bow mount and battery has made it even less nose high

On my own I just run round with a full live well if someone’s with me just sit them in the forward seat hole setting

You have a jacking plate and now trim tabs there is something wrong going on or trying to fix something that is just inherent to small tinnies

Would be good to get you on someone else’s setup and just see if it’s a perceived or real fault with your boat to save you spending more money

just watched three videos on them , they all nose up a wee bit until on the plane, must be design of blade hull and flat aft area in a short length. with 3mm sides and bottom they are strong yet look flighty in the videos, stylish looking and modern. i dont know just looks like the seats and console are a little back too far. weight distribution in this boat i imagine would be a factor to consider.

After so many mods wouldn’t you just request a refund and buy a different boat?

All boats nose up before planing

If you drive them like a grandad then nose will rise up for ages

Not flighty at all can turn at 50kph no issue

I think the issue here is the boat is performing like any small tinny will

I love mine best tinny ever for what I need