Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: new boat , things to do

Re: new boat , things to do

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    Just went and measured my bolt holes, from the top lip of the transom to the centre of the top bolt is 60mm and I have two more holes I can lift up, I am going to lift it one more hole, just to see how it goes, my cav plate is close to being inline with the bottom of the boat, not the bottom of the extruded keel.
    I too am 60mm from top of transom to top bolt. I have no more uplift adjustment available.
    More pertinant, my prop tip is 66CM from the hull (motor being vertical.)

I too posted today from my iphone and its gone south too.

If the stiff steering persists it might be the inside of the 'tilt tube' - it was on mine. (Mine would actually lock up completely, wouldn't move)
    This bloke showed me how to fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by littlejim View Post
    If the stiff steering persists it might be the inside of the 'tilt tube' - it was on mine. (Mine would actually lock up completely, wouldn't move)
    This bloke showed me how to fix it.

seen the video. But a new motor? Dont think it has that problem.

Agree, nothing should be needing greasing yet.

Sounds kind of odd, admittedly different motor brands, but I still have a couple of holes to raise if I want to.

Sounds kind of odd, admittedly different motor brands, but I still have a couple of holes to raise if I want to.
    Actually, i would have been surprised if different makes had the same mounting configurations. I suspect the etec prop is further from the hull than on other brands. Thats why i suggested you measure prop tip to hull. I will scratch around and see if any info is about.

I will measure it tomorrow morning, do you want the distance back to the hull from the prop with the motor vertical?

Yes etec i found today is around 30-40mm longer than the 1980's model johnson 225hp i had, the 130hp etec touches the ground where as johno 225hp was 30-40mm off the ground in same location

I will measure it tomorrow morning, do you want the distance back to the hull from the prop with the motor vertical?
    Yes, at least we can clear up a few issues with this measurement. If we are all trying to get the cav plate roughly in the same ball park, the only difference then becomes how far from the hull the prop is. The further from the hull, the higher the prop needs to go., all within reason of coarse.

i have a 420sc as well with a 50 yamaha revs out fine 58kph or so wot
    id say they have just mounted the outboard incorrectly as others have said there are heaps of these boats about being good bang for the buck and an all round multipurpose boat

ive ordered the under floor fuel tank kit and going to put it in myself as the 24l isnt enough for me

Quote Originally Posted by stevej View Post
    i have a 420sc as well with a 50 yamaha revs out fine 58kph or so wot
    id say they have just mounted the outboard incorrectly as others have said there are heaps of these boats about being good bang for the buck and an all round multipurpose boat

ive ordered the under floor fuel tank kit and going to put it in myself as the 24l isnt enough for me
    I dont think they mounted it incorrectly, if you are pedantic about it. I measured all the holes and distances and it looks like its spot on from a manufacture's point.
    It goes all right, i cant argue about that, but it can be a darn sight better. If i hadnt own boats before, i would be non the wiser. I also doubt there would be too many people like me who like to get the most from their toys. I think i have read and watched every video or article on boats ever distributed. lol. a little knowledge can be dangerous to your wallet.
    Anyway, a jackplate has been ordered and the next report will be on its fitment and tests.
    Just for interest, my prop is a 15" SS. If it becomes way under propped, i may have to consider a 17". What is the yamaha running?

I have considered an under floor tank too but in the end i bought a 10liter spare for $40 and it fits next to the 25. on my last outing, 4hrs on the water and i used sweet FA. I will have to buy some XD100 too, keep as spare. Lots of room for storage on these little boats I am glad to say. And its not as if it seems to affect the attitude of the boat, lots of rear buoyancy. I dare say the jackplate will test this out.

for those who are interested, i just found a few articles from the turn of the century (yea, i know, not that long ago) Talking about why the bow rises. its to do with the propellor thrust being directed around the pivot point or center of gravity. Getting the motor at correct height helps to finely balance the thrust around the pivot point. Trimming the motor helps to swing up or down, bow lift or bow plow. That usually happens when the cav plate is just above the water at cruise.
    Think of it like a balanced sea saw.

I'd imagine the bow rises because your trying to push the hull thru, up and on top of the water, look at work barges for instance that run 150hp tiller steer they plane in 2 seconds and the bow doesnt rise

Bought my tinnie from a guy that apparently was wanting to get money together to buy a house, only to find it was set up totally incorrectly and was a real dog to operate. Changed height, trim and a different boat. With the setup no wonder he wanted to get rid of it as his wife and kids wouldn't go out. Takes a bit of work on any boat but worth while, trouble is no simple solution.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy56 View Post
    Anyway, a jackplate has been ordered and the next report will be on its fitment and tests.
    Add a water pressure gauge to your list of things to do so you can tell if you are jacking her up too far.