Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: new boat , things to do

Re: new boat , things to do

Quote Originally Posted by Fed View Post
    I'm guessing you've got an external keel so they have probably got it set up right. (Conservative?)
    Was the 5000 RPM at WOT?
    Yes, i just had another look and the plate is inline with the keel. Obviously, on this model thats the wrong setup for this motor. I do have some experience with these issues. I want to check the paper work and make sure its not a 25" on a 20". Now that would be a mistake, lol.

No, 5000rpm was not at wot. I had plenty of travel left on the throttle. The motor/boat gets bogged down in the water so i didnt want to get too excited just yet. Happy just to get a feel for things before i jump too hard.

Hey Andy i wasnt trying to be an ass to you mate i was just trying to get across that 5000rpm is revving a outboard pretty hard out of the box and that 500rpm more is a normal idle speed or a E-tec so its not much more on top o the 5000 when u think about it

but its an E-tec go rev it hard mate i love those engines out of all the outboards on the market hopping to snag a cheap one for my boat I'm rebuilding possibly next winter

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    Hey Andy i wasnt trying to be an ass to you mate i was just trying to get across that 5000rpm is revving a outboard pretty hard out of the box and that 500rpm more is a normal idle speed or a E-tec so its not much more on top o the 5000 when u think about it

but its an E-tec go rev it hard mate i love those engines out of all the outboards on the market hopping to snag a cheap one for my boat I'm rebuilding possibly next winter
    You can be an ass to me, i am big enough, hahahahaha. I will hold my ground until i get a logical reason to give in.
    I look at it this way, 5000 rpm is only 500 up on 4500, lol.
    Look if it struggled to get there i would have pulled back. I was trying to get a feel for what it had and 5000 came up real easy, so definitely under no strain.
    Etecs have a built in run in period of 20hrs. It has more oil injected during this period. In the end its all about how it feels. I will run at a speed it feels comfortable at. Just like a car that has a speedo that shows 220km/hr but feels most comfortable at 130km/hr. So long as i know WOT is close to 6000, i dont have any issue with driving within that range 0-6000. Thats what its designed to do. I had a yamaha 60 4s on another quintrex i owned another life time ago and it sat on 6000 without fault for long periods, smooth as. My 130 etec was similar but i stayed down around 4500rpm, the petrol consumption got a bit exciting over 5000rpm.
    So far its less than 1hr run time with the motor too low. I will have more info when the dealer has had a look.

Second outing with the new boat today. The dealer raised it one hole so the ventilation plate is now level with the bottom of the hull, not the keel as before.

It reved out to 6000 effortlerssly and i hit 30/32m/hr. It had a touch more but i didnt want to go overboard.
    Mind you, its one of those pitot style speedos. Accuracy is unknown. A gps speedo would have been a better instrument to fit. I guess they make savings where ever they can.

Its better but its still way too heavy on the steering, the bow still wants to lift and the cav plate is still submerged. Trimming all the way down had minimal effect on the bow attitude at take off. its better for low speed maneuvers than before, so i figure i am on the right track. So my next step is a jack plate. Meanwhile the dealer is saying its way too high.

The Axiom worked straight off but i must say, its gonna take some time to fully comprehend that which i observe. 3d held up till about 20m/hr but got progressively more delayed. 3D dont work too well when your stationary or shallow water either. Yes i know thats obvious now, but as i said new toy must read instructions.

The trailer keel guides worked well but the most disappointing thing is that a bolt was missing from the kit. I wonder what pleasure some jerk got from steeling a bolt from CH SMITH, lol,

The seat heights have been adjusted, down 6" for the driver and 10" for the passenger. she prefers to sit in than sit on top.

Disappointing that lake Eppalock yielded exactly naught for the afternoon. Hopefully, i will get my eye in for the snapper. Weather forecast was totally wrong, shit day when it was going to be at least 18. How many jackets can yo put on before the life jacket dont fit, hahahahah. I hate melbourne weather.

Not too sure how the dealer can say it's too high if it is going better and no cavitation (ventilating) theories and practice sometimes don't align, it also doesn't sound right that you can't lift it any more without a jack plate.

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    Not too sure how the dealer can say it's too high if it is going better and no cavitation (ventilating) theories and practice sometimes don't align, it also doesn't sound right that you can't lift it any more without a jack plate.
    Motor is on the highest holes so without drilling out the holes in the transom again, i cant see any other way of lifting it anymore.
    what other issues can cause the steering to be heavy? It should be light as, instead its stiff and rather jerky in motion.

The steering cables aren't jammed or coiled too tight somewhere?

Yep - tight bend in steering cables or a steering pivot tube not greased properly at pre delivery will cause tight steering. Also a poorly adjusted prop torque compensating fin (if the motor has one) or being trmmed in too far. Is the steering tight all the time or only once you start to put revs on?

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    Yep - tight bend in steering cables or a steering pivot tube not greased properly at pre delivery will cause tight steering. Also a poorly adjusted prop torque compensating fin (if the motor has one) or being trmmed in too far. Is the steering tight all the time or only once you start to put revs on?
    To be honest, i have only started to think of it as a separate issue. I suspect its stiff all the time. But its early morning and my head is still fuzzy. I will have a gander tonight after work.

Better still, whats the distance prop tip to keel tip

Just went and measured my bolt holes, from the top lip of the transom to the centre of the top bolt is 60mm and I have two more holes I can lift up, I am going to lift it one more hole, just to see how it goes, my cav plate is close to being inline with the bottom of the boat, not the bottom of the extruded keel.

I just realised, a post of mine has vanished, don't think I crossed some site rule, it wasn't having a go at anyone, maybe I was silly and posted it in another thread?

Sometimes there's a bit of collateral damage when threads get cleaned up Noel.

Yeah, seems like a bit of stuff got a haircut, who knows what happened.

Dementia we are in the same boat Noel LOL