Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Invention Tailfin

Re: New Invention Tailfin

Tailfin...........really? How about calling it letterbox. id only accept that on a parsun outboard.

Quote Originally Posted by catshark View Post
    Tailfin...........really? How about calling it letterbox. id only accept that on a parsun outboard.
    Haha drive the boat in the drive way put a "no junk mail" sign on it

I know its an old thread and Im not disparaging the guy or his product but can anyone tell me what this means?

Lots of people are very happy with their boats performance but do not know the boats hull stroke can now be controlled that instantly spring loads all of the hull movements before they happen while smaller and controllable as well as while they are happening as I said reflective energy is being used to spring load all of the hull movements in all directions, this product is far superior than all of the standard marine hydrofoils and uses a complete different innovation cheers

I just cant accept anecdotal evidence. I need to have some sort of explanation that the engineering part of my brain can comprehend. I am at a loss with this explanation, not saying it isnt correct, maybe its my lack of knowledge but can anyone translate please?

Hi Folks

WHAT CAT`S MUST HAVE IS THE Tailfin Water Rail STERN TRACTION SELF-LEVELLING STEERING SYSTEM
    The Tailfin is complementing Cat`s perfectly in all conditions including the Kevalcat Noosa cat and many others.
    The Tailfin is also complementing Tri Hull`s and vee hulls perfectly.
    The Tailfin is very user friendly as it self-levels no matter which way the boat is leaning.
    The Tailfin is engineered from Nature, fish are self-levelling because
    of their tailfin having a much stronger positive water flow energy that all ways stays to the underneath side of their Tailfin,
    the weaker negative water flow energy all ways stays to the top side as they tip over from one side to the other and back,
    allowing fish to self-level no matter which way they are leaning saving them a massive amount of energy not needing to swim just to stay level.

The Tailfin uses nature that is complete different innovation that increasing a massive 15kg of lifting energy for each outboard than the innovation of standard hydrofoils.

The biggest issue I am hearing for Cat Hulls is falling over in calm waters the Tailfin is helping to stop this from happening,
    why
    A lot of reasons, extra lifting performance of 15kg for each outboard is a big positive in hull control increasing the hulls hang time between waves for higher bow contact to next wave,

water flow self-levelling steering adds a stern traction energy creating a resistance and restricting all negative unwanted movements while they are small and correctable this system helps to dominating hull movements.
    instant self-levelling adds stability and allows the hull to lift higher out of the water all sea directions than without this product fitted to the outboard, the Tailfin changes and now dominates the water dynamics of the hulls.
    In rougher waters you want the Tailfin to be the last thing leaving the water contact and the first to contact the water to soften and control movements.

You need this self-levelling stern traction resistance at the steering point at the lowest point of gravity for when 1 of the hulls falls into the void left behind from the 2nd hull when turning
    and then the higher water level of that 2nd hull even at the flat water level height in calm water starts to push the hull over causing the 1st hull to dig in and over she goes,
    this does not happen so much in rougher waters as the wave volume helps to fill the water void left from the hulls.

I can tell you lifting or lowering the transom height of the outboards is and has always only ever been a band aid fix,

that does not change any of the water dynamics of the hull and is from people that do not have the correct answers for you and will not stop the cat from falling over in calm waters,

It’s a complete scam. I’ve seen a couple of complaints from those that got conned and the comments quickly get deleted.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

New Invention Tailfin

I’ve just flicked through FaceAche and could not find a negative thing written. Obviously a wonderful product (NOT) or ALL comments in the negative are removed.

I can’t find a negative comment about them. Strange to say the least.

A scam for sure

Sent from my iPad using Ausfish forums

Many boats are too stern heavy as a bunch of the extras we like to fit end up back there - reserve tank, dual batteries, washdown pumps, live bait tanks, bait boards etc. Also four strokes fitted to older hulls designed with buoyancy for two strokes.

Add ANY hydrofoil to a stern-heavy boat and it'll improve behaviour by giving extra lift at the expense of drag. Weight redistribution would be better though to move COG forward. The major disadvantage with foils is that in a following sea the stern lift can increase tendency to bow steer and broach so it's not ideal. Adjustable tabs give the stern lift into a head sea but can be retracted in a following sea so are a better fix (plus allow trimming to suit changing conditions). The planing flat of the foil probably takes out a bit of steering responsiveness too.

Doubt there's much functional difference between the Tailfin and a standard hydrofoil - can't see how vertical risers above the antiventilation plate are going to do much. Personally I'd only ever fit a foil on a small boat where weight distribution is tricky or constantly changing, tabs aren't justifiable from a cost or practicality perspective and it's not used in seas that could cause bow steer - pretty much just a tinny for use in calm waters.

TL : DR probably has similar pros and cons as a normal hydrofoil, but adds butt-ugly as a bonus

Exactly. From no foil to foil in certain circumstances is going to see a massive improvement. A standard foil to this thing is going to see none.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Free Membership

Gee, they write well... Almost as ugly as the actual product haha!

The product would counter roll and pitch of the boat as described but the difference vs a typical foil would be next to nothing in most situations (the vertical planes would increase directional stability if going slow enough for them to be in the water). Overall, just another tuning device that improves some characteristics and harms others... A good set of adjustable tabs is the way to go, allowing the operator add lift and stability when required, then remove it when it's a hindrance.

I still find it quite amazing that mainstream boat manufacturers are so un-inventive when it comes to dynamic hull management. Imagine if all of the planes around the world were still trying to make do with fixed wing geometry, or all the sailing boats couldn't adjust their sails to suit the wind - hopeless! Water is such an effective medium for creating dynamic forces to do good things and goes almost completely unnoticed by boat manufacturers... The Zipwake tab system is a good example of what can be done with very modest/basic controls. Such a system could be expanded to give an almost ESP (as per most cars from this century) like safety blanket that controlled pitch, roll and yaw of the boat in adverse situations (things even the best captain can't do with steering and trim alone). The same system could also be used to generally enhance the boats performance and counter some of the inevitable compromises that come with fixed hull design.

I have a set of 450mm Zipwakes here to go on my 16'er. Looking forward to seeing the results.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeC90 View Post
    Gee, they write well... Almost as ugly as the actual product haha!

Yeah its a real talent being able to bamboozle you with such unintelligible bullsh!t and then sell you a bandaid solution..

"Hi, I`m Peter The Inventor of the Tailfin Water Rail,
    we are, all letting people know about the New and exciting Innovation, Tailfin, face surface reflection
    steering, 3x performance all sea direction, replacing outdated prop spinning thrust direction steering,
    Tailfin frees the prop thrust from levelling duties with a more economical smoother faster dryer ride all sea directions."

What does it all mean?
    Are these terms hydro engineering secrets?

Quote Originally Posted by disorderly View Post
    Yeah its a real talent is being able to bamboozle you with such unintelligible bullsh!t and then sell you a bandaid solution..

"Hi, I`m Peter The Inventor of the Tailfin Water Rail,
    we are, all letting people know about the New and exciting Innovation, Tailfin, face surface reflection
    steering, 3x performance all sea direction, replacing outdated prop spinning thrust direction steering,
    Tailfin frees the prop thrust from levelling duties with a more economical smoother faster dryer ride all sea directions."

Quote Originally Posted by Brettoh View Post
    What does it all mean?
    Are these terms hydro engineering secrets?
    They don't appear in my copy of 'Fluid Mechanics and Hydraulics' (3rd ed.) by Giles, Evett and Liu but that's somewhat predictable given it's only an introductory primer.

'Fluid Mechanics' (1st ed.) by Streeter and Wylie indexes 'face surface reflection steering' and 'outdated prop spinning thrust direction steering' under 'Ch. 12 Batshittery and other ridiculousness'.

Ausfish Silver Member

'Ch. 12 Batshittery and other ridiculousness'.
    Thank you,that made my day.

New Invention Tailfin

I saw this advertisement for this product and found it strange that an organisation like Australian Volunteer Coast Guard, so I thought I would contact them for a comment on the product.

Image1631516411.888971.jpg

This is their reply to me

Hi, This campaign is not related to or endorsed by the Australian Volunteer Coast Guard.

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums