Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Bending Aluminium I Beam for Trailer, How i done it! manufacturers will go broke

Re: Bending Aluminium I Beam for Trailer, How i done it! manufacturers will go broke

Yeah i heard about the annealing and changing the grain structure into something we may not know the strength of Brett so that was a worry for me about annealing and i don't have the correct tooling to measure or maintain temps while annealing so i think cold bending is better for me so long as i keep to 10 degree bends

Trev my boat will only be registered for theft that is all i am worried about, the trailer will be bulked as Brett mentioned aluminium is expensive but there is no compromise when it comes to home built

Re: Bending Aluminium I Beam for Trailer, How i done it! manufacturers will go broke

This link is an interesting read about registering home made trailers

https://www.trailerplans.com.au/support/registration/

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums

Gazza your rego covers personal injury but it is also worthwhile covering for third party property damage - I know if I had one damage something it would not target an old bomb but rather a BMW/Audi/Ferrari etc.
    Good luck with it
    If you quickly scan the post link I have above you might find some ideas you want to incorporate.
    Cheers
    Cheers

Trev

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    Trev my boat will only be registered for theft that is all i am worried about, the trailer will be bulked as Brett mentioned aluminium is expensive but there is no compromise when it comes to home built
    Guessing you meant "insured" Gazza. Do yourself a favour and check with your chosen insurance company as to the situation should you be in an accident and your boat leaves the trailer. Last I heard on this was that should the boat leave the trailer it is no longer covered by the vehicles insurance policy and as such any damage or injury it causes will fall back on the vessels insurance. The trailer is covered by the vehicles policy in this situation. This could well be BS but I fear paying for a solicitor/barrister to argue the point with an insurance company in court is going to be a tad more expensive than simply paying for comprehensive boat insurance.

What’s wrong with cutting the flanges at the correct angle and bending the web of the universal beam then welding the webs back up with a piece of the same material? Fish plate top and bottom if necessary.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Trev/Scottar it's not about the finance bit i can pay it but rather shes an old boat i done some research and shes a 1971-1973 model would insurance companies even look at this for comprehensive insurance? would all the work i am carrying out now have to be micky mouse 100% top of the range quality to pass a inspectors inspection? last time i had full insurance on a tinny i just filled out the form online and it was all done but anything over 20 years old Club Marine wants to inspect before insuring