Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Lithium Batteries (deep cycle)

Re: Lithium Batteries (deep cycle)

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    Hi all

I'm looking at ways of making life easier for those off the grid type situations ( boat based camping etc) & one area I'm considering is upgrading my Batteries to Lithium (LiFePO4) Initially for my 24 vlt Minn Kota ( 2 x 100amp - 12 vlt) & eventually the house battery (75/80amp) .... as much as anything this will pull out 40+ kgs of weight.

So aside from the weight loss - I should be able to draw down to much lower levels ( if necessary ) charge quicker either via a generator or solar . ( my understanding is that you can pump in a full amps till 98% rather than 80% like the AGMs)

I'm interested in hearing members experiences - the good & the bad ( yes I've heard the horror stories) but I believe the technology has improved with batteries with built in BMS (Battery management systems) .
    Is anyone using solar to charge LiFePO4s .... what is the best system - I'm thinking of putting flexible solar panels on my T Top and running a Roman 15amp inline Solar controller
    What chargers are people using ?

Lastly brands - there are two standouts Sentry & Fusion .... but you pay for it - what are some of the other reputable ones ..... it's a big investment .

Lot's of questions I know but as I mentioned it's a big investment & I want to get it right.
    Chris , re: which or what type i caanot answer but many times on the Caravanning circuit i have talked with those that have the litium battery setup in their Vans and the word is " More than happy , and they can free camp for days witout worrying about power" .
    How the setup would go in a Boat especially a Tinny is one that i will follow very closely myself but from the uploaded youtube video does sound promising ey .
    Get a chance have a squizz on the Australian caravanning Forums or Grey Nomads Forums and heaps of info there ey..

when they short a cell or across the termoinals they explode

I was using one to start my kart engine due to the high cranking amps achievable, in a rac another kart made contact and the battery shorted and instantly discharged.
    it snapped the tubing of the frame and burnt through my Kevlar seat and race suit

Same thing will happen with a lead acid battery if you drop a spanner across the terminals,
    Cheers
    Ray

Well , I ended up biting the bullet & ordered a pair of 100amp Fusion LiFePO4s which should be here in the next couple of days .
    These will replace a pair of 100amp GELs which were running the 80lb Minn kota - saving me 24kgs .... more importantly the weight is coming off the bow end of the Barcrusher which had a bit of a bow down attitude when at rest.

I ended up choosing the Fusion brand - as they are reputable & have been making Lithiums for quite a few years now ..... Yes they are more expensive but there are too many unknowns with many of the other options out there.

We'll see how they go

Chris
    Keep us informed.

I have a 120aH house battery in the stinky, and I run the fridge 24/7. It's all good on sunny days, but 3 days of cloud and the solar panels struggle. I would love to double the capacity to at least 200aH, but the weight is a major problem. I have been musing over buying some lithium cells, but at around 3-4k depending on which solution you choose I want to know that I am going to get a good 10 years out of them.

The main problem I have, is that I have read so much conflicting information about lithium. There is very little information from manufacturers and most stuff comes from amateurs. But it seems if you get it right, the tend to last from all reports. Maybe I should just do the same, bite the bullet and just order them.

I was leaning toward the enerdrive solution, cant remember what cells the use. But figured you could buy the control gear once and replace the cells in the future if needed. I am guessing that the sealed solutions like Fusion you have have to throw the whole lot away.

I ended up with 100 amps at 24v or 200 amps at 12v for $1180 + freight to FNQ and only weighs 26kg by buying 8 individual cell from EV Works in WA. Compared to some of the prices some are charging I'm happy with my set up. As to how good these batteries are I haven't had them long enough to comment, with a little research I found they were being used in RV setups for a while now and couldn't find any complaints. The batteries are CALB CA100's

TMC

Quote Originally Posted by The Mad Cat View Post
    I ended up with 100 amps at 24v or 200 amps at 12v for $1180 + freight to FNQ and only weighs 26kg by buying 8 individual cell from EV Works in WA. Compared to some of the prices some are charging I'm happy with my set up. As to how good these batteries are I haven't had them long enough to comment, with a little research I found they were being used in RV setups for a while now and couldn't find any complaints. The batteries are CALB CA100's

TMC
    TMC, did this include a SBM or a BMS, if so what brand or type.

Sam

That is cheaper than buying 2 100a/h lifelines which are well over $600 each.
    Cheers
    Ray

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    TMC, did this include a SBM or a BMS, if so what brand or type.

Sam
    No Dig,
    Tim Brunner from EV Works talked me out of the BMS, I can't remember what he said exactly.

TMC

For less than $100 I would be putting one in. I think even their website recommends one.

You only need BMS if you have 6 or more cells within the pack and cycling it on a daily basis. for a 12V there is only 4 in the pack and you would be lucky to cycle it once a fortnight.
    My cell show less than 0 .01V difference between cells after 12 months and I cycle them about 2 time a week.
    BMS in a 12v is pointless and the voltage drift is so small, by the time they become an issue, you'll probably need new cells anyway, and that would be years away.
    Break open any 12V lithium battery and you will find most will be devoid of BMS, and those that do have them, they are basic and crude circuitry and most probably be more of a liability than asset.
    Humility is not a weather condition.

not with the same affect lipos do it amazingly well

Well , I ended up biting the bullet & ordered a pair of 100amp Fusion LiFePO4s which should be here in the next couple of days .
    These will replace a pair of 100amp GELs which were running the 80lb Minn kota - saving me 24kgs .... more importantly the weight is coming off the bow end of the Barcrusher which had a bit of a bow down attitude when at rest.

I ended up choosing the Fusion brand - as they are reputable & have been making Lithiums for quite a few years now ..... Yes they are more expensive but there are too many unknowns with many of the other options out there.

We'll see how they go

Chris
    I just wanted to go back in time to see how long I had been running the Fusion LiFePO4 for ...... & here is my original post when I purchased the batteries. (Installed Sept 2018)

These have been faultless over the time but I just upgraded to 125amp to ensure of a full days spotlocking.

One thing of note & could be of interest for anyone contemplating going to LiFePO4 - The Fusion batteries have come down in price from near to $1100 down to low $800s (2 x 100amp @ $780 each . This is online through the Battery store which is where I purchased mine originally.
    That's a reasonable price for a quality battery ( little risk considering many of the horror stories with batteries sourced out of China)

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

OH, how I miss the "old days" when batteries were just batteries, motors were all two stroke and you just chose the brand your father had, boats were just boats, you had an Easyrider, Seafarer or a Quintrex, a big trip was about 30mins and a couple of 5 gallon tanks was plenty of fuel, an old paper Furuno sounder and some landmarks was enough to find your secret spot........

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    OH, how I miss the "old days" when batteries were just batteries, motors were all two stroke and you just chose the brand your father had, boats were just boats, you had an Easyrider, Seafarer or a Quintrex, a big trip was about 30mins and a couple of 5 gallon tanks was plenty of fuel, an old paper Furuno sounder and some landmarks was enough to find your secret spot........
    You really miss them

Those days that you never knew if the motor would start or breakdown ..... the days were people carried Auxiliary motors as a just in case .

My early boating memories are full of breakdowns / tow jobs & looking for mechanics when away. ...... nah mate you can have them .

That said even in my time of boat ownership where every boat (with the exception of my Barcrusher .... with just 23 hrs on the clock) was bought new there were still issues - the 94 Mariner 75hp 2 banger gave me some grief but I consider that old tech . 2006 onwards have been pretty well a pleasure when it came to boats ( 1 major failure at 20 hours - gearbox on a 60 yammi 4 stroke) -

Trailers not so much .
    leccy motors between 2006 & 2018 have been nightmares ..... but have improved now (touch wood)

Sounders have been really good except for the odd plug issue .

Bring on the technology I say ......

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Has anyone tried the renogy batteries ?