Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shark Cat 5m 16ft advise

Shark Cat 5m 16ft advise

Hi all,

First post and requested advise.

I am looking for a boat to go fishing in the Plumistone Passage and out to sea.
    This would be my first boat and I have seen this 16ft Sharkcat with pods for sale.
    I would appreciate some advise and thoughts on this as a purchase.
    It is running twin 70's.

Looking for something which is stable in the water. Can be launched etc by me. Carry more than four passengers for day trips etc.
    The price seems good....$12000.

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/murw...cat/1192366506
    Thanks
    Chilly

Re: Shark Cat 5m 16ft advise

Kind of looks like it's a home handyman rebuild, but I could be wrong, also not exactly 100% sure it's a Sharkcat, but again, I could be wrong.

Chap states it is a Sharkcat. Knows Bruce and Bruce has told him the full story!!
    Peter

Anythings possible, but it sure looks like it might have been a Sharkcat once, but it's been cut off, or something, could be a great boat, who knows?

Price it all out he wants $12,000, the engines are worth $2000 each, that trailer looks home made very thin looking for that hull whats a twin hull trailer worth? $3500?, hull worth $3500?

it looks like a nice tidy sea worthy boat but i would look at that trailer a little better as that boat looks a little heavy for that box frame, just my opinion

Please explain why you think it has been 'cut off or smething'?
    Can then understand and build my knowledge.Peter

I just have never seen an old model with pods, and the transom just looks non original, let's be perfectly clear here, we can only see a couple of photos, nothing beats seeing it in the flesh, but, as with all things second hand, it's a lucky dip, and the seller might be a great guy, I/we can only "best guess" what we see.

Hi Chilly, looks like a good buy , lets break it down ( weight would be around 1600kg -1900 kg , check trailer GVM , trailer looks modifyed, homemade or under strength.. The motors appear the right HP for the size of boat, How many hours? looks a clean hull and but looks like the top deck has been a add on at some stage, could be wrong of course, with six clinker sides on a short boat, looks like the version of the 20 ft cat but this is shorter? Or has the transom been changed from a damaged 23 footer , just putting it out there . Should you buy it ? well if it floats and goes good on test run then i would think you got yourself a pocket game boat right there that you could launch yourself, and fish out with the big boys, yes this little boat could go to the shelf.

Hi Catshark,
    Thanks for replying.
    I will check trailer etc.
    I am starting to understand about the clinkers on the sides...so will questions about repairs and modifications.
    Great that it could go to the shed. What about shallow waters...what sort of depth do these require to float in?
    Response to a few questions from owner....
    'the motors are 1996 both in excellent condition good compression on both fuel capacity 120 liters has life jackets epirb deck lights cabin lights dual batteries separate filters live bait tank with pump 2 seats on boxes i used it every week out of tweed heads very safe little boat owned for 6 year'

Hi Noelm.
    Thanks for the honest reply. Appreciate it.
    I have asked for some more photos. (Especially as I am 3 hours away).
    Need to ring and enquire more details.

Peter

i would say sitting in the water , you would have up too 3 of the clinker in the water at the back, on the plane im guessing 2 clinkers draft in the water , does that make sense? Are you concerned where you are its shallow, most cats are on the heavy side so i would aim too have at least 3 ft of water minimum . perhaps better too have at least 5ft to be safe. You say this is your first boat, wow for the safety aspect it will be perfect for you , however twin hulls can be scary , when or if you test drive it , when you turn at a good speed , not too fast mind you but you will feel the hull want to lean over and feels like its going to tip, its that feeling that will determine if you can get used to it or not, it can leave your deck mates or family not wanting too come back out with you. However in saying that about that feeling . l can say that the cat is superior in all other aspects to the monohull, if you do buy it, then take your time in learning to drive it, as you wont master a cat overnight .

Quote Originally Posted by catshark View Post
    its that feeling that will determine if you can get used to it or not, it can leave your deck mates or family not wanting too come back out with you.
    I have never been on a cat but i can picture that and offshore while doing it take a pair of clean undies lol

what are the chances , their is another cat for sale exactly like this one in hervey bay , better trailer and better motors only a couple more $$$, so that clarifys the odd looking transom.

i can tell when one hull digs in on a big green hole, youll leave fingerprints on the grab rails, however l have also been amazed at how seaworthy they are and none of my prevoius monohulls could have gotten away with some of the conditions, so i dont know its a feeling, ive never felt more safer in a cat however my family said no way am i going out in that thing again, when she leaned over at 45 degrees thru the entrance, run out tide ha ha

Quote Originally Posted by catshark View Post
    i can tell when one hull digs in on a big green hole, youll leave fingerprints on the grab rails, however l have also been amazed at how seaworthy they are and none of my prevoius monohulls could have gotten away with some of the conditions, so i dont know its a feeling, ive never felt more safer in a cat however my family said no way am i going out in that thing again, when she leaned over at 45 degrees thru the entrance, run out tide ha ha
    Haha i can picture that lol, They look like a nice floatable hull design they also look like it would be rock solid trolling or downrigging in the open sea however going faster than a following sea especially if u need to get back in a hurry and your not dead on strait over the swell you'd be crapping ya pants hitting it on an angle LOL

the platform would be huge in one of these over a V boat