Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Shark Cat 5m 16ft advise

Re: Shark Cat 5m 16ft advise

In terms of depth. Trying to gt an understanding of how much water i required.So the 3 and 2 clinkers makes sense and the depth suggested is a great help!
    Being new to boating I was expecting to take some time to learn how it drives.

I am also asking for beach landings and getting off again.

Quote Originally Posted by catshark View Post
    i would say sitting in the water , you would have up too 3 of the clinker in the water at the back, on the plane im guessing 2 clinkers draft in the water , does that make sense? Are you concerned where you are its shallow, most cats are on the heavy side so i would aim too have at least 3 ft of water minimum . perhaps better too have at least 5ft to be safe. You say this is your first boat, wow for the safety aspect it will be perfect for you , however twin hulls can be scary , when or if you test drive it , when you turn at a good speed , not too fast mind you but you will feel the hull want to lean over and feels like its going to tip, its that feeling that will determine if you can get used to it or not, it can leave your deck mates or family not wanting too come back out with you. However in saying that about that feeling . l can say that the cat is superior in all other aspects to the monohull, if you do buy it, then take your time in learning to drive it, as you wont master a cat overnight .

The trailer frame looks pretty right they were a frame that sat on a frame it would be good to see a lot more pictures.
    I think there's been the best part of a foot cut off the back if you compare where the water gutter thing finishes on the original.
    Raising the windscreen has raised the seats to be able to see but it's put the steering wheel too low.
    Mentioning 'new to boating' I meant you don't know what you're getting yourself into rather than lack of driving skills, they come with time on the water.
    Have you looked at any monos in the 17'-18' range?
    Check the length against the end of where the water gutter finishes in the first picture.
    (The raised section extending back from the cab.)
    Attached Images Attached Images

That green one with the curved motor wells is an oldie, I seem to remember the first 20 was built from that design, just 3 foot cut off, they had the fuel tanks above decks, one on each side standing upright, just behind the helm position, pretty good old boats back then, motors were usually the biggest Mercs made at the time.

l tell you that biege color cat looks strange with the cut back look, honorable mention to the caravan annexes in the background, and the signwriting on the hull , nice bit of free hand signwriting. Also need extension laddder to get into the cat.