Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Shark Cat 5m 16ft advise

Re: Shark Cat 5m 16ft advise

Don't buy it Chilly.

You know something??

Nothing specific Noel I just think it's not a good boat for a first timer and way too modified for my liking.
    I had one for the best part of Twenty Years and found there was only a tiny window of say 10% of the time where it would have been better than the 17' Viking I currently own.
    I know you have an 18 footer which I can't comment on (never been in one) but back when I had the 16' it was all about the 'Sharkcat' hype.
    Cost, handling, weight, fuel, wet feet all spring to mind but on the upside get that 1 day in 10 and it's like being on a magic carpet, you know the deal.

Missed the bit about first boat, probably would be OK, but certainly not my pick for lakes or rivers, but like most things, it's a compromise, how much enclosed water V how much outside, how many people, what to tow it with, what sort of ramps, lots of things come into play, especially a first timer.

I can’t see a single axle trailer being legal for that boat.

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums

Quote Originally Posted by super56r View Post
    I can’t see a single axle trailer being legal for that boat.

I was made aware a single axle trailer can carry 2 ton i was surprised too

Yeah not that trailer.

Quote Originally Posted by catshark View Post
    i can tell when one hull digs in on a big green hole, youll leave fingerprints on the grab rails, however l have also been amazed at how seaworthy they are and none of my prevoius monohulls could have gotten away with some of the conditions, so i dont know its a feeling, ive never felt more safer in a cat however my family said no way am i going out in that thing again, when she leaned over at 45 degrees thru the entrance, run out tide ha ha
    Leaned over but I bet it came back! That’s the difference!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mercury 115ct going strong😁

Quote Originally Posted by catshark View Post
    Hi Chilly, looks like a good buy , lets break it down ( weight would be around 1600kg -1900 kg , check trailer GVM , trailer looks modifyed, homemade or under strength.. The motors appear the right HP for the size of boat, How many hours? looks a clean hull and but looks like the top deck has been a add on at some stage, could be wrong of course, with six clinker sides on a short boat, looks like the version of the 20 ft cat but this is shorter? Or has the transom been changed from a damaged 23 footer , just putting it out there . Should you buy it ? well if it floats and goes good on test run then i would think you got yourself a pocket game boat right there that you could launch yourself, and fish out with the big boys, yes this little boat could go to the shelf.
    the 23' didn't have clinker sides (neither did the 20) but, there was a few non genuine 20's made with clinker sides (I had one) but it was not a Sharkcat, similar mold though.

Quote Originally Posted by super56r View Post
    Yeah not that trailer.

I reckon that trailer would be rated 750kg GVM

old mate said in the add he had owned it or 6 years can't be to bad of a boat

Quote Originally Posted by Chilly 07 View Post
    Please explain why you think it has been 'cut off or smething'?
    Can then understand and build my knowledge.Peter
    That transom and pods don't look like original shark cat. Not necessarily anything wrong with that. Many boats get a new transom due to water ingress rotting the timber and are good to go again.

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    I was made aware a single axle trailer can carry 2 ton i was surprised too
    More than likely it would have had 12 inch electric brakes a breakaway system and Landcruiser rims as a pair of ford rims are rated to 1900 kg on a single axle trailer I am pretty sure and Holden are less I think

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish mobile app

Yup suss on the trailer. I’ve got a 1700kg single axle easytow, looks waayyyyyy more heavy duty than that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    the 23' didn't have clinker sides (neither did the 20) but, there was a few non genuine 20's made with clinker sides (I had one) but it was not a Sharkcat, similar mold though.
    my mistake about the clinker sides, ive mixed up different cats . ive googled the depth of the waterways chilly wishes to fish and seems 80 percent of the pumicestone passage is under two metres deep ? if thats the case just get a tinnie because of the sandbars .