Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2018 Check your straps

2018 Check your straps

There's a new model out, not sure if it's different to the old one or not.
    https://www.ntc.gov.au/Media/Reports...DDEFE53C0).pdf

The law sets out Performance Standards forload restraint• The Performance Standards set out the minimum amountof force a restraint system must be able to withstand in eachdirection. These are:- 80% of the weight of the load forwards- 50% of the weight of the load sideways and rearwards- 20% of the weight of the load upwards (if the load isn’tfully contained).• If a load is restrained to meet the Performance Standards it willnot fall off or affect the stability of the vehicle under expecteddriving conditions. This includes emergency braking and minorcollisions.

Re: 2018 Check your straps

This could seriously throw a can of worms in there for someone making a insurance claim

Ausfish Silver Member

What are you guys out there with big trailer boats doing to secure the boat?
    Obviously, the ideal would be to have the winch wire and a chain with turnbuckle at the front, and to somehow tie down the stern.
    That's the bit I'm struggling with.
    The trailer ends 2' forward ot the boat, and any straps are going to try to force the boat forward and up, oddly enough.
    A large strap over the gunwales is goingh to damage the paint and possibly the structure.
    The only thing I can think of is another safety chain from the bow facing aft, to stop the boat moving forward in the event of a crash or emergency braking.
    The stern will just have to rely on gravity to stay there.
    Obviously, not a perfect solution.
    Thoughts?

Chains independant of the winch post in both directions at the bow with turnbuckles and straps at the rear. Mine do run slightly forward.

On most boats the bow stop, winch & safety chain takes care of the front for movement in all directions so there's really only the back to worry about.
    Say on a 1500 Kg boat the front weighs 500 Kg that leaves 1000 Kg at the back to secure down.
    1000 Kg x 0.2 leaves 200 Kg to secure down and if you have 2 straps that's only 100 Kg each.
    But wait there's more, there's no need to tighten each strap to 100 Kg they just have to be rated at a working load of 100 Kg each.
    I'm currently using a single strap over the back with 2 bits of carpet which I slotted and threaded onto the strap, I tighten it to just a few Kgs.
    Left Right movement at the back is taken care of by the trailer cradling the boat.
    There's lots of different setups but the tried & true method is to have the bow eye & cable under & held at the bow roller then a safety chain as short as possible.
    I'm going to have a good read of that link as I think it said a ratchet winch can be classed as a fastener now, I don't think it was in the past and I couldn't bring myself to not using a safety chain anyway.
    Chains & turnbuckles tightened to within an inch of their lives are for the crazy people who haven't thought it out.

Edit: Sorry scottar you posted while I was typing HaHaHa!
    Edit: scottar must have his reasons...

Just yesterday I saw a guy with a piece of aluminium square tube made to be just slightly wider than the top sides of the boat, and had a kind of padded cradle on each end so it sat on top of the deck/gunnel, and his strap went over that, making the strap outside the side of the boat, avoiding any damage, including squashing the rubber down during hot weather, it had a couple of loop kind of things on top to hold the strap in place, seemed to work OK. There is a couple of things at play here, you need to stop the boat coming into the back of the car during emergency braking, turnbuckles if properly anchored would do this, then you need to stop the boat sliding off backwards, which is pretty easy, kind of, then there is keeping the boat from jumping off the trailer upwards, and across, that's where the over the top strap comes in.

Quote Originally Posted by Fed View Post
    On most boats the bow stop, winch & safety chain takes care of the front for movement in all directions so there's really only the back to worry about.
    Say on a 1500 Kg boat the front weighs 500 Kg that leaves 1000 Kg at the back to secure down.
    1000 Kg x 0.2 leaves 200 Kg to secure down and if you have 2 straps that's only 100 Kg each.
    But wait there's more, there's no need to tighten each strap to 100 Kg they just have to be rated at a working load of 100 Kg each.
    I'm currently using a single strap over the back with 2 bits of carpet which I slotted and threaded onto the strap, I tighten it to just a few Kgs.
    Left Right movement at the back is taken care of by the trailer cradling the boat.
    There's lots of different setups but the tried & true method is to have the bow eye & cable under & held at the bow roller then a safety chain as short as possible.
    I'm going to have a good read of that link as I think it said a ratchet winch can be classed as a fastener now, I don't think it was in the past and I couldn't bring myself to not using a safety chain anyway.
    Chains & turnbuckles tightened to within an inch of their lives are for the crazy people who haven't thought it out.

Edit: Sorry scottar you posted while I was typing HaHaHa!
    Edit: scottar must have his reasons...
    Each to their own Fed. It's one of those things. None of us really know if we have done enough until the boat tries to go past you in emergency braking situation or accident. Their have been a few posts both on here and other social media of rigs that have had winch post failure due to various reasons. I figure the price of a few bits of hardware is worth knowing I've done all I can to cover as many bases as posible. My winch is also a power one without a ratchet so I'm sure as hell not relying on that.

If they wanted to be serious about boat trailer securement, the govt would introduce minimum guidelines for the boats bow eye.....so many are simply just a 10mm stainless steel U bolt through the keel. Seriously, in the event of a collision how secure is that?
    A well set up boat trailer will cradle the boat snugly.
    In the event of an accident, the securing is only there to hold the boat in the trailer, nothing more.
    If the trailer rolls, jack knifes or anything else you are only trying to keep the light weight trailer attached to the heavy weight boat.
    It is not a big ask to achieve.
    Jack.

I trust my winch post, I'd replace it if I didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Fed View Post
    I trust my winch post, I'd replace it if I didn't.
    Yep, trust my winch post but not the 2 U bolts that hold it in place. 1800kg of boat moving forward under heavy pressure would to my mind snap at least the rear bolt due to the winch post acting like a huge lever. Together with the chains though I'm happy enough that I won't be wearing the boat on ghe hood of my car. I guess what I'm relying on is a whole number of things all working at the same time in case of something happening.

As Tunaticer says, the weakest point in most boats, particularly glass boats is the towing eye. I replaced mine due to water ingress through that area with a U bolt type and at the same time reinforced and enlarged the support block in the anchor well as previously the eye bolt only had a small block to secure it and all the force was spread across a tiny, tiny albeit strong part of the hull.

I doubt the authorities are going to be too worried about your tie down procedures unless there are other things that they notice first. I'm still amazed at how many boats I see that are over 2 T and have only over rider brakes. I know I was shocked when I took mine over the weighbridge, over time things get added, 2 Stroke changes to 4 Stroke, live bait tanks, bigger eskies get added and so on. It all adds up.

DSCF0485.jpg
    This is what I have done. the aluminium cross bar folds in the middle for storage in my vehicle while I am away. The chain has a turn buckle in each side to tighten down the chain.
    Also have two chains with turn buckles up the front.
    David
    j

that alloy boat is well tied down.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy56 View Post
    that alloy boat is well tied down.
    Should check out how a barcusher is tied down it isn’t going anywhere

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Green View Post
    Should check out how a barcusher is tied down it isn’t going anywhere

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish mobile app
    Makes up for the bow catch that drops them on the ramp

While chains and turnbuckles are fitted to stop a boat from flying off the back or the front, what turnbuckle will stop a 2 ton plus boat when you slam into the back of a stationery object.