Thread: Cons of antifouling on trailer boat

Cons of antifouling on trailer boat

I am looking at a second hand 18 foot trailer boat which has been antifouled. Seems a bit unnecessary unless the owner planned to keep it moored for long periods. Any problems / issues with antifouling on a trailer boat? Thanks
    "The underlying spirit of angling is that the skill of the angler is pitted against the instinct and strength of the fish and the latter is entitled to an even chance for it's life."
    (Quotation from the rules of the Tuna Club Avalon, Santa Catalina, U.S.A.)

Apathy is the enemy

Re: Cons of antifouling on trailer boat

Just looks crap, reduces resale, could be hiding something?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
    I am looking at a second hand 18 foot trailer boat which has been antifouled. Seems a bit unnecessary unless the owner planned to keep it moored for long periods. Any problems / issues with antifouling on a trailer boat? Thanks
    Jeremy antifoul on a trailer boat is not real appealing for sure and it will only get knocked around by the rollers etc. Depending on what type they have applied it's most likely stuffed anyway. Most antifoul paints I have used require the hull to be back in the water soon after applying or it gets to dry and will be compromised. I purchased the boat I have now which was moored in the water and the first thing I did was sand it off, takes some time but well worth doing. Trust me when I say it is not a nice job and if you buy the boat and it doesn't worry you how it looks just leave it and go fishing.

If you get a white hull you can buy white anti foul and that hides it for minimal expense and work. No real negative. Ads a tiny bit of extra friction but I guess it works on the princple of laminar flow anyway like the vortex generators on airplane wings compared to an ultra slick surface and then next level is sailing dinghies where they introduce detergent to the bow to break the surface tension.

Hey Jeremy, I don't know the rules for mooring in NSW but what i have gathered is u must have a boat moored up to your personal bouy or u lose it so a lot o people around Sydney use cheap nasty boats as "Mooring Minders" we see a ton o these while out boating most are old sailing boats just about to sink torn to the s... house not worth a cent

if u look at my rebuild thread my boat too was a mooring minder but it were only let for a few weeks in a small bay in the Port Hacking behind a bunch of houses, the owners told me they were told the boat had to go hence i scored the boat for free

G'day
    I'm no expert but I've been a trailer boat buyer a couple of times in the last 5 years (and quite a few times over the millenia LOL) and wouldn't even look at boats with antifouling. I did enquire with a fibreglass repair guy whilst looking and was given a rough quote of $6K to remove the antifoul and refinish the boat (gelcoat gets ruffed up to hold the paint) The there's the skeg and engine brackets, all gets pretty ugly to my eye. So I would say as a previous poster said if it doesn't bother you, a bargain buy might come along, but the price would need reflect poor image to buyers like me. Me I'll avoid.
    Cheers
    Rod

I have also been further advised that antifouling can cover damage to the hull such as osmosis and through-hull fittings