Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: It Begins..... Seafarer Ventura Stringers and floor.

Ausfish Silver Member

Re: It Begins..... Seafarer Ventura Stringers and floor.

The cloudiness comes from heat build up doing multiple layers.
    Shouldn't lay more than 1100gsm in one go. Don't quite know how I remembered that.
    Great build thread.
    Keep up the good work!

Quote Originally Posted by giddyup58 View Post
    The cloudiness comes from heat build up doing multiple layers.
    Shouldn't lay more than 1100gsm in one go. Don't quite know how I remembered that.
    Great build thread.
    Keep up the good work!
    Cheers. Didn't know that.

Sent from my [device_name] using Ausfish mobile app

Got a bit done this morning.
    Cut and fitted the forward bulkhead. Happy with it.
    Had a bit of glue left over, didnt want to waste it, so found another bit to stick in.
    Dunno what youd call it, but it's in.
    Did a bit of glassing. Didn't plan it out too well, so ended up climbing all over it.
    Got the small outer stringer glassed in, was gonna do the bigger one, but found some shitty glass that needs fixing first, so I'll clean that up before I glass the rest in.
    One thing, not sure if I should be giving advice, but there's one idea that I had that's turned our well. When I cut the old floor and stuff out, I left the edges in place, the plan was that when i came to putting it back together I'd know where it all went. Worked a treat, now i measure up, then grind the old lip out, new piece in.
    Been good.
    20181127_122010.jpg20181127_122001.jpg20181127_130741.jpg

Few more update pics.
    Havent been getting as much done lately as I'd like. Seems everyone wants a piece of me on the lead up to Christmas, but been trudging along.
    Getting the cabin rebuilt.
    Was planning on flowcoating inside this storage compartment before putting the top pieces on, but ended up finding a bunch of shitty glass that needed a grind back and redo, done now and side bits on.
    Still plenty of access to flowcoat inside this arvo maybe, possibly next few days......
    Anyway, pics attached.20181201_161117.jpg20181202_133512.jpg20181202_133521.jpg20181205_095722.jpg20181205_101656.jpg

Looking good ford, no one will see the glue once shes painted she'll look pristine mate, i dont think half the people realise how many man hours go into rebuilds like this it sure does make paying a shop to do the work worth it but than again if u do it your self u know how its done and done your way

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    Looking good ford, no one will see the glue once shes painted she'll look pristine mate, i dont think half the people realise how many man hours go into rebuilds like this it sure does make paying a shop to do the work worth it but than again if u do it your self u know how its done and done your way
    Cheers.
    Getting there. Got a fair bit done yesterday too. Hopefully more sgain today.
    Got that flowcoat done, also had a bit of a tidy up of dags and stuff.
    20181206_101450.jpg

More progress shots. Actually looks like im making progress now.
    I cut out the cabin shelves and also the little shelf near the helm. So pretty much removed the last of what needs removing.
    Got the portside in and glassed, then bulkhead in. Same same starboard.
    New shelves are cut and glassed, ready to be put in.
    Also stuck in shelf supports.
    Heap of glassing to follow.
    Got a couple days of helping a mate, so boats secured against shitty weather, hopefully back into it soon.20181210_153837.jpg20181211_102533.jpg20181211_160301.jpg

Looking good Ford

Been a while since an update.
    Been plugging along with it.
    Got the cabin basically glassed in.
    Going to grind/sand tomorrow and hopefully itll be good to go.
    Got a side pocket in as well as the one higher up.
    Got my jerry holder in. Made a little alcove behind it to use some more wasted space. Looks about perfect to fit a fire extinguisher or EPIRB. Think ill put one each side.
    Thought about my transom. Ordered a couple of big hatches. Ill put one each side.
    Made a couple more hatches......
    Last piece of 12mm ply i got is a little lighter coloured..... same guy, same ply, feels the same, just a lighter colour. And looks even lighter in photos. Seems ok though.
    Been chewing through resin. 84L so far. And not going to be a lot of the full roll of glass left either...... this thing is bloody solid.
    Anyway photos attached.
    Oh, weird question, but i found a 50c coin when i was stripping the boat, it was built into a shelf.
    Now i know traditionally builders used to do stuff like building coins into window frames for luck or some such (in houses).
    My question, if it was for this purpose, would it be from the year the boat was made? Its a 1971 coin, didnt think the boat was that old..... No biggie if it is, i guess just more impressed with how its held up for even more years then i thought.....
    And just to maintain the luck, i have built it back into the boat. Planning to add a 2018 coin on the other shelf (yep, call me superstitious). Need all the luck i can get.....
    Last drawing is what i reckon I'll do with the transom.20181220_095609.jpg20181220_095613.jpg20181222_105329.jpg20181223_140432.jpg20181223_143358.jpg20181222_135700.jpg

Look the coin up it could be worth a bit of money shes looking nice Ford you sure are putting a lot of work into her once shes painted it will look mint man well done on the top efforts

84L fmd that is a huge amount of resin and its all epoxy so u know this thing is going to be as tough as a Australian Army Tank

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    Look the coin up it could be worth a bit of money shes looking nice Ford you sure are putting a lot of work into her once shes painted it will look mint man well done on the top efforts

84L fmd that is a huge amount of resin and its all epoxy so u know this thing is going to be as tough as a Australian Army Tank
    Haha I googled it, found one for 20 bucks on eBay, 30 bucks through some other site. It is actually a little bit rare but at the moment it's sitting in a pile of resin on a shelf. Think ill keep it there. Need the luck.
    Dunno about looking mint, hopefully comes up okay.
    It does feel solid though. 5mm Masonite floor replaced by 12mm ply.....

Been busy as hell with my part time job, seems like a full time job lately, boat progress has suffered as a result.
    Upside is that my budget that was suffering has had a topup. So thats a good thing.
    Messed around with Q cells and making a fairing mixture, went well. Stuff went in nicely once i came up with a consistency that i liked. Only thing is I used quite a lot of q cells, so have cutback on what gets faired, to whats visible.
    Sanded up nice, then got a coat of flowcoat on.
    Came up reasonably well. My mate recommended these microfibre rollers. Theyre brilliant, so much better then a brush.
    Theres a couple shitty patches, a few dags where it looks like the flowcoat was going off on the roller, a few thin bits and a few missed bits, so a light sand and another coat is in order.
    My hatches and speakers arrived so I cut my transom bits and speaker holes.
    Rough fitted them.
    Made the transom out of 2 pieces of 6mm. Partly for ease of making, and partly because i didnt have a piece big enough to do it in 1 hit.
    Anyway. Photos attached.
    Happy new year.20181231_110547.jpg20181231_115140.jpg20181231_154511.jpg20181231_155032.jpg20181231_164021.jpg20181231_164028.jpg20181231_164309.jpgimage000000.jpg

Not long now and you'll be smashing that bottle of campaign over the bow

Been a bit slack on the updates.
    Been busy as hell with the part time gig. Good for the budget, bad for the progress....
    Have been getting stuff done slowly.
    Pretty much all construction finished.
    Built the transom in, all shelves in, cabin flowcoated.....
    Still a big mess, will give it a clean out and get a few progress shots.
    Found a guy to paint it. Convinced me 2K was the go. Id rather re gelcoat it, but i think it might be cost prohibitive. And i just want it done.....
    With 2K i can do it a colour, I'm thinking grey above the waterline, white cabin......
    Oh yeah, got my outboard off too. Wasnt that fun with just a mate to help manhandle it......20190113_154654.jpg20190109_161753.jpg20190107_095232.jpg

This is coming a long really nicely even tho its not painted i can see all your hard work paying off that side panel and the back panel look really nice and well thought out