Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: It Begins..... Seafarer Ventura Stringers and floor.

Re: It Begins..... Seafarer Ventura Stringers and floor.

Happy with today's progress.
    Started by grinding all the shit out of this side, back to glass. That was easy, not a lot left.
    Got all the portside glassed, up to where the first piece of floor slots in anyway. Really happy with it.
    Put a couple bulkheads in, did them as it was all still wet, so should have a really good bond.
    Got my little shelf in under the transom too.
    Was thinking about going hard and getting this side floor in, but with only 1 day of working on it left before I have to pack it up and go back to work for a month, I think ill leave it out. I'll glass in the keel and other side stringers tomorrow hopefully. That way I can pack everything into the boat and seal it up.20180827_124828.jpg20180827_113436.jpg

Sent from my [device_name] using Ausfish mobile app

Back into it. Got heaps done on the weekend, despite the rain. I got the portside floor in, the fuel tank base and front in. The underfloor storage in and a bulkhead to separate them.
    Been glassing away like crazy. Had to order yet another 24L of resin. Man this shit eats resin.......
    Oh, and ripped out the old rotted out shelf.....
    Anyway, a couple progress shots.
    Was going to take photos on the weekend, but it was a shitfight.
    Plan is to start finishing that side off from the transom forward.....20181008_110842.jpg20181008_110844.jpg20181008_110849.jpg20181008_110904.jpg

Looks good Ford almost time to clean up and paint it all, i hear u about the resin mine transom ate 16-18litres about 2 litres waste

24 litres of resin does not last long when your motivated and in action, also a tip write the date u open your resin and hardener on the bottles so u know they only have a 12 month life span less if its been in the sun, West Systems last 3 years but the stuff from Trojan Fibreglass only last 12 months

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    Looks good Ford almost time to clean up and paint it all, i hear u about the resin mine transom ate 16-18litres about 2 litres waste

24 litres of resin does not last long when your motivated and in action, also a tip write the date u open your resin and hardener on the bottles so u know they only have a 12 month life span less if its been in the sun, West Systems last 3 years but the stuff from Trojan Fibreglass only last 12 months
    Good idea.
    Although at this rate, I'm not sure how much will be left over......
    Got a full roll of glass too, and chewing that up, expected a shitload left there too......

Been getting a lot done despite the weather.
    The tarp that I cover the boat with got raised and used as a shade shelter last week when it was ridiculously hot, worked just as well to keep the rain out this week.
    Got both sides of the floor in now, and glassed the fuel tank compartment in. Put a solid bulkhead in between it and the underfloor storage. And glassed that in too. Need to get a forward bulkhead in place to finish off that compartment.
    Did a heap of glassing on the floor, mostly finished that in the rear half of the boat. Feels solid as hell. I put an extra layer of glass under where the kids tend to jump into the boat off the transom. Doubt it needs it (12mm ply floor), but may as well.....
    Got one brace in onto the transom. Will get the other side in after this round of glass is done.
    Overall, really happy.
    Just wish the rain would stop so I can get back to cutting wood, ie. The fuel tank cover and some side shelves......
    Been a bit slack on photos. Been tough keeping up with the muddy footprints and crap collecting in the boat. Tends to look like a bit of a shitfight. Until the weather improves and I can spread out again.......20181008_110844.jpg20181009_102430.jpg20181014_133303.jpg20181014_133315.jpg20181014_133323.jpg

This rain a real pain in the ass i can't seem to get any work at all done on my boat because its outside the rain just keeps coming each day

Yeah. I got sick of sitting around. Figured if I'm just going to be down glassing, then I could raise the tarp and do it in the rain. Only drama is the footprints and having a ton of gear getting in the way. Cant spread it out like I want.
    Also cant cut new bits, lucky I was at a stage where I was sanding and glassing

Did u get any off gassing or air pockets in the laminate after it cured while it was raining?

Nah, seemed to cure better. I had a couple of air pockets last week and before, but it has seemed to go on really well yesterday and today.
    Dunno if I'm just getting better.....

Makes me wonder what professional fiberglassers do on rainy days play chest and drink coffee? Maybe u just cant get the laminate wet

Make or repair moulds, prepare for glassing but generally they know how much MEKP to use.

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    Makes me wonder what professional fiberglassers do on rainy days play chest and drink coffee? Maybe u just cant get the laminate wet
    Haha yeah.

Got a fair bit done again. Did some sanding and cleaning up ahead of flow coating. Was going to do a bit of flow coat. But decided to clean it up a bit more and flow coat tomorrow or after.....
    Weather cleared enough to get some bits cut. I cut a shelf and a couple of (braces? Dunno what you'd call them. The shelf ends....)
    Got the fuel tank top cut too. And glassed a side of it.
    Had a couple bits to sand and re glass inside, just small areas that didn't seem to have enough resin.
    Anyway. Pics attached.
    Its coming together nicely.20181015_110704.jpg20181015_110707.jpg

Another day, a bit more done.....
    I keep thinking I could so more, but with glass curing. And flowcoat going off. I tend to walk all over stuff if I try to do too much....
    Anyway. A bit of flowcoat done and the fuel tank top glassed. Also cut the forward bulkhead for under floor storage. I glassed the bottom of that ready to go in. Might stick it in later this arvo as the hot weather has the glass curing pretty quick.

Couldn't post photos before ....20181017_143145.jpg20181017_101236.jpg20181017_101233.jpg20181017_101230.jpg