Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: It Begins..... Seafarer Ventura Stringers and floor.

Re: It Begins..... Seafarer Ventura Stringers and floor.

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    All coming together now, just wait until the floor goes in, it will seem like it's finished, but of course it isn't! are you just going to flow coat the floor and try to "speckle" it somehow? flow coat is another learning experience, looks easy, but it's tricky.
    I considered it. But I think I'm going to keep it simple. Solid white flowcoat, basically everywhere, then that foam adhesive flooring stuff in grey. Hopefully manage to come up with something like this.... obviously a bit more simple, but that's my current idea.154313_464413840771_2175078_n-resized.jpg

Sent from my [device_name] using Ausfish mobile app

Another decent days work done. Got the front half of the keel in. Got fillets done as well. Ran out of resin. Ordered more on Monday, so should be here this arvo or tomorrow.
    Was at a bit of a loss after I got that done, so decided to cut some wood.
    Cut the fuel tank base. But the 12mm ply I had was fully delaminated. It was no good. So I returned it to the guy and grabbed an additional piece, as I figured I'd need a bit....
    Got the fuel tank base cut then, and decided to knock up a few bulkheads as well.
    Used them as a template and roughed up some for the other side to put in, but I have to rip that last stringer out first.....
    Photos attached. First is the keel in. Then fuel tank base, and bulkhead fitting.20180822_103541.jpg20180822_132235.jpg20180822_132231.jpg

Big day. Heaps done.
    Got the last stringer out. Ground out all the crap.
    Ran the grinder around the edge of the floor and got rid of the remnants there too.
    Shaped my new stringer.
    Resin resup arrived so got the front half stuck in place and fillets done.
    Going to measure and install the rear half later this arvo. Then a big day glassing tomorrow.
    Plan is to start building up on what I've got in place. Get into the fuel tank compartment and underfloor storage. Get into the cockpit floor. And move forward.
    Really only have 3 or 4 more good days work before I have to pack everything up and get back to work for a month.....20180823_113132.jpg20180823_124901.jpg

Plan changed again. This time due to the weather.
    Reports of 3 days of solid rain, figured I wouldn't risk getting into glassing in case it came on quicker then expected, and I'm working outside.
    I cut some floor pieces. Really stoked with how they look. A bit of grinding and planing will get them in snug.
    Tested out my tank fitting. Real happy it went in perfect, was worried I had cut it too fine.
    Laid the floor down as I needed to store my gear in a more weatherproof location if this rain does hit, and I wanted the pieces of ply in more manageable sizes as they went into the boat to keep dry too.
    Pretty happy with the progress. I'd rather have a few more days on it to get the glassing well under way, but oh well, hopefully get a day or 2 before I need to bugger off again for work.
    If I dont at least its dry and secure while I'm gone.
    Photos attached.20180824_102848.jpg20180824_104913.jpg20180824_105410.jpg20180824_111921.jpg

Coming together really quickly and nicely Gford, How big is that tank? it should add some good ballast weight for stability

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    Coming together really quickly and nicely Gford, How big is that tank? it should add some good ballast weight for stability
    Yeah I'm pretty happy so far.
    It's a 75L tank. Upgraded from 60L under the transom.
    Was keen on one a bit bigger, 85-100, but that one was an absolute perfect fit.
    I normally run with 2 jerries which I have built in little spots for them, you'll see later when I get to that..... I like this idea as I can just grab the jerries out and pour them in the car so the fuel isn't sitting. 115L including jerries should be ample for my use.

How will u be putting the floor down with bags of sand or screws or another method?

How will u be putting the floor down with bags of sand or screws or another method?
    I have avoided using screws so far. Was thinking it was a good idea.
    Unless anyone's got better ideas I was going to use a shitload of resin thickened into glue with Fumed Silica and a bunch of heavy stuff to hold it down......
    The stringers are stuck really well using it, so figured the floor would stay down well enough.
    And of course glass the hell out if it after it sets....

I screwed mine down with lots of stainless countersunk screws, then sealed the heads and just glassed over them.

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    I screwed mine down with lots of stainless countersunk screws, then sealed the heads and just glassed over them.
    I bought a bunch of stainless countersunk screws just for this purpose.
    Might put a few in, just concerned about splitting the timber or tearing the fiberglass.
    That resin glue sticks like crazy, shouldn't need a lot more to hold it.

Yeah when i get around to it i was planning as your plan a, glue the floor to the stringers and use bags of sand to hold the floor down nice and tight untill the glue sets than once the floor is glassed down that thing is not moving at all

bags of sand are heavy and easy to vacuum if one breaks open and they are cheap to buy easy to dispose of when finished just sprinkle it around the yard will help with drainage

Yeah when i get around to it i was planning as your plan a, glue the floor to the stringers and use bags of sand to hold the floor down nice and tight untill the glue sets than once the floor is glassed down that thing is not moving at all

bags of sand are heavy and easy to vacuum if one breaks open and they are cheap to buy easy to dispose of when finished just sprinkle it around the yard will help with drainage
    Yeah I'll try that. Good idea.
    Went to the boat show this morning, then decided to do a little bit this arvo. Just stuff that could be packed up quick if it started raining......
    Did a bit of glassing, just bits and pieces. The main piece was the fuel tank base. The underside of that.
    Dumb question of the day. Would you glass the undersides of the floor etc? Or just resin? I've read many things. Watched videos and most just resin.
    Glassing the underside of that tank base was a pain in the ass. Be nice to just be able to seal it with resin (floor uneersides)..... thoughts?
    I imagine glass would be better, but necessary?

Forgot my photo. Underside of tank base.20180825_153610.jpg

When u glass one side of plywood and let the resin cure it can warp the plywood my transom done this when i put the inside layer of glass on with the transom out of the boat, something to think about weather to glass both sides of your floor

When u glass one side of plywood and let the resin cure it can warp the plywood my transom done this when i put the inside layer of glass on with the transom out of the boat, something to think about weather to glass both sides of your floor
    Yeah reckon I will glass the undersides, going to do the larger pieces in several smaller batches though, doing the tank base with 1 big piece of glass was a pain.