Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: It Begins..... Seafarer Ventura Stringers and floor.

Re: It Begins..... Seafarer Ventura Stringers and floor.

Melinex is the name of a good film. I have laid glass up on it on Masonite and even on a concrete floor if you want to make some flat sheets of glass.

You used to be able to buy rolls of the stuff. We joined several sheets just by applying magic tape to hold the melinex in place.

MELINEX® S

Product Description
    Melinex® S is a general purpose film which combines excellent handling characteristics with a slightly hazy appearance. It is available in specific thicknesses from 48 - 500 gauge, and is used for the full range of Melinex® applications.

What could go wrong.......................

Quote Originally Posted by brett62 View Post
    Ok if you are wanting that type of finish you will be doing a large amount of sanding/polishing. Try and get the surface as perfect as you can will help. How big a surface are you covering ?. If I am doing smallish areas I use a plastic film over the top once I lay the gelcoat down and then smooth it off with the edge of a dowel or ruler. Let it cure and peel the plastic off and you have a nice flat surface and just requires a light wet/dry and polish. The plastic film I use is much the same as the old overhead projectors used in schools.
    Not huge. Just one of the seat bases. I put a layer of glass on it as it was pretty dinged up.
    The other wasnt so bad so I didn't do that one.
    Thought I'd do one and see how it looks. Glad I didn't do both.

Sent from my [device_name] using Ausfish mobile app

Chimo thanks for the name and I wished I had got some bigger sheets when I did the gelcoat on the stern of my boat. It certainly cuts down sanding.

No worries. I guess it would be possible to make up a flat section out of masonite sheet held on a frame that one could apply and press to wet gelcoat or glass until it goes off to get a better finish. Sort of like a back to front mold. It would sure cut down the hungry board action and dust too. A part roll of suitable thickness melinex that can be used over and over would do the job I think.

Chimo
    What could go wrong.......................

Got a lot done today. Next stringer cut out. This one was pretty rotted. About 3/4 of it had about an inch of soaked timber along the bottom of the stringer. The rest was dry and brittle.
    I managed to grind and clean it all up too. Didnt take a photo yet though.
    Managed to make a couple holes in the hull too. Pissed about that. Right where the hull changed shape towards the stern. Took me by surprise.
    Oh well, a couple more patches done. Good thing i plan on getting it re gelled after I'm done......
    Hopefully i can get the new stringer cut and glued in place tomorrow.
    Daily stupid question for the forum.
    Generally, when stringers are done do you cut out the keel too? Is this a good idea?
    Do they usually rot out? Hard to tell if its rooted.20180815_112801.jpg

You will be best to work that out. Is it timber?

If the rest of the timber is compromised then a good chance it will be also since it would see more water then the stringers. Can you drill a couple holes as this will tell you quick. You can always fill them if it's still solid.

You keep this up and you will have the boat back in the water in no time.

Quote Originally Posted by brett62 View Post
    You will be best to work that out. Is it timber?

If the rest of the timber is compromised then a good chance it will be also since it would see more water then the stringers. Can you drill a couple holes as this will tell you quick. You can always fill them if it's still solid.

You keep this up and you will have the boat back in the water in no time.
    Yeah I'll check it out.
    I reckon it is timber, and likely just as bad as the rest.
    I just pictured cutting it out, the boat imploding and everyone here saying "idiot! never cut the keel out".

Half the next stringer glued in.
    Had a (hopefully) good idea and used it as a template to cut the other side one too. Left a bit of room to plane it down if needed. Hopefully a time saver.
    Went in pretty easy. Will wait for it to cure then work on the front half. Might cut 2 of them too, see if that works......
    My new fuel tank arrived, excited to see that going in at some stage. Wasnt meant to get here for another couple weeks. Bloke said they weren't even gonna start to mold it for 2 1/2 weeks..
    Good though, now I can see how it fits and make sure it's all good, not just relying on drawings.
    20180816_115700.jpg20180816_115658.jpg

First photo it looks laid over a bit. Had to go back out and make sure it was square lol.

Real happy with today's progress.
    Was happy with half the stringer in. So I took a bunch of stuff to the dump. Got some bits and pieces, got home and checked it was all still in one piece.
    Gave it a poke and it was pretty solid. So I figured I might as well rough the front half out with the time I had before I needed to get the kids from school.
    I roughed it out, gave it a bit of a plane, tried it out.
    Couple more times and it fitted perfectly. Couldn't believe how easy it went in.
    I had 45 mins before I needed to leave so figured screw it, might get a day up on myself.
    Stringers in.
    I only braced one side of the joint as the fuel tank comes to around the joint, didnt want to get in the way of that.
    I'm in the dreaming up phase of a plan to put a pretty solid bulkhead in there to brace the joint too, will figure it out after....
    Anyway. Lot done today and I'm a happy camper.
    Also have the other stringer cut out and ready to plane into shape, using this one as a template, hopefully doesn't bite me on the ass......20180816_141329.jpg

Going back together is kind of easier than cutting old rotted rubbish out, now is the time to think about drainage, underfloor storage, bilge pumps and mounting any "things" for the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    Going back together is kind of easier than cutting old rotted rubbish out, now is the time to think about drainage, underfloor storage, bilge pumps and mounting any "things" for the future.
    Yeah, and its more fun.
    I plan on keeping it mostly the same as it was. I am going to make the keel about 20mm higher so that it supports the base of the fuel tank, and I have extended the fueltank compartment rearward about 120mm so that there is a bigger storage area in front of it. A pair of bilge pumps will mount in the well that will be created right at the back, as they were.
    The spot under the transom where the tank used to go will be for stuff like oil, tool kits etc. I plan on keeping the batteries mounted where they were and where the tank sat a bit lower down, having for storage of gear that doesn't mind weather.
    I plan on building in the transom a bit, I have an idea what I want, will think about it more when i am at that stage...... I don't want to restrict access to batteries, fuel primer and storage, but I also don't want a wide open transom either, I don't really like that look. Also going to have to think about deck drainage if I do build the transom in a bit.
    Future Glen will worry about that, present Glen is up to his neck in demolition/rebuilding.....
    Also tossing up building the floor on the area that I have finished. Think I might, so that I have a more stable work platform for working on the other side.....

I guess there is no reason why you can't do the floor in sections, it's just "normal" to do all the structure work, then the floor in one go.

Got a lil done
    Next stringer out. I left the keel as I want to get the support for the fuel tank in place so I have a height to go off for the keel.
    Didnt get a chance to grind it out as had to cut away at lunch to do some shit. Was keen to get at least half the new stringer in, but oh well.
    Was pretty rotten.
    Getting there.
    Got a new respirator and goggles. Makes a big difference to be able to see and breathe while grinding.20180817_114608.jpg

It's amazing how boats stay together when you get to see inside one hey, let alone when it's rotted away.

My Viking tank sits on a complete 'floor' like a coffin.
    Attached Images Attached Images