Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: It Begins..... Seafarer Ventura Stringers and floor.

Re: It Begins..... Seafarer Ventura Stringers and floor.

The ideal way to join the stringers is by scarfing it on a 12-1 ratio but i was taught by mark just to sand down one vainer of ply on both sides and each side join the two pieces with glue than glass the sanded sections over on both sides but do not wrap the entire stringer with glass

BigE how did u machine your wood down from 6cm? i asked a shop to do mine 10 years ago i think i was charged a extra fee for re-sharpening the planer blades plus i had to drive from the West to East just to get the timber as it was the only shop that would plane it down

Quote Originally Posted by brett62 View Post
    I have found one thing glassing and that is you haven't lived life until your glassed upside down.
    Haven't had the joy myself Brett, but have watched a few pro's do it by wetting out the cloth and then putting it in place - only doing sections small enough to handle in the process. Wasn't too much swearing so it can't be too hard...…...right

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    The ideal way to join the stringers is by scarfing it on a 12-1 ratio but i was taught by mark just to sand down one vainer of ply on both sides and each side join the two pieces with glue than glass the sanded sections over on both sides but do not wrap the entire stringer with glass

BigE how did u machine your wood down from 6cm? i asked a shop to do mine 10 years ago i think i was charged a extra fee for re-sharpening the planer blades plus i had to drive from the West to East just to get the timber as it was the only shop that would plane it down

Got a saw mill to cut it in half ... presto 2 x 30mm stringers perfectly matched.

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    Haven't had the joy myself Brett, but have watched a few pro's do it by wetting out the cloth and then putting it in place - only doing sections small enough to handle in the process. Wasn't too much swearing so it can't be too hard...…...right
    Sounds easy hey !!!!! try with your head stuck under the stern inside and the world is different from that angle. There was much swearing when my hair became part of the lay.

Quick question.
    When I pulled the old stringer out it had a hole in it to drain any water into the next compartment.
    It was really shitty, not glasses well and took a lot of strength out of the stringer.
    I need to do something similar, but I'm not keen on cutting into the stringer too much.
    I have 3 bungs, 1 in each other area, should I just drill through the transom and add another 2 bungs? Not too keen on this.....
    Should I just seal it up, confident that water will never get in? Dunno about that one.......
    Make a channel through? Probably best option...
    Maybe an inspection port theough the floor into that area? Possibly, but not ideal if I get a lot of water in, and a potential area that could fail and let moisture in.

Sent from my [device_name] using Ausfish mobile app

Ausfish Platinum Member

Fark me, masonite as a flooring material in a boat? Sort of puts a bad smell against these boats who some steadfastly claim as some of the best things ever built? So the great Lindsay Fry was actually a cheapskate who took shortcuts? (Putting flame suit on now.) Mind you, not the only builders guilty of it--what was the little cat so beloved of many? Markham Whaler? There was a build thread on that Victorian forum which went under, on how he found masonite, lots of it, under fibreglass. "the good old days"

I wouldn't think 4 mm of masonite would add much to the structure could it have simply been used as a formwork to lay up the fibreglass on?

Ii was probably more common than most people realise. In the early 70s Sportsman Craft used masonite in a few of their boats for flooring.
    tug tellum
    Not all tools are usefull.
    Nappies and politicians should be changed regularly for the same reason..

Use some electrical conduit, orange one is rated for under ground. 25mm/32mm. Only need maybe 1", flush plus cloth overlay length on both sides and glass around it. Easy peezie drain hole. One length will not break the bank and readily available from any electrical wholesaler.
    Or you can put 10" in and remove after glassing around. 10" because it gives you something to hold on to.

Lots of boats had Masonite floors, some were simply nailed down with clouts, and a thin layer of glass laid over the top, add to that, crap pine or other timber for underfloor frames, my Sharkcat has rough hardwood timbers under the floor, Masonite nailed to it, I have seen a couple of Seafarer Vikings, with those killer fold up seats with a single leg, go right through the floor, old "classic" boats are not what they seem.

Quote Originally Posted by tug_tellum View Post
    Ii was probably more common than most people realise. In the early 70s Sportsman Craft used masonite in a few of their boats for flooring.
    tug tellum
    Yeah it had a decent amount of glass over it. Like 4 or 5mm.
    Bottom of masonite wasnt sealed the though, which I found surprising

Quote Originally Posted by Andy56 View Post
    Use some electrical conduit, orange one is rated for under ground. 25mm/32mm. Only need maybe 1", flush plus cloth overlay length on both sides and glass around it. Easy peezie drain hole. One length will not break the bank and readily available from any electrical wholesaler.
    Or you can put 10" in and remove after glassing around. 10" because it gives you something to hold on to.
    Awesome idea. I'm gonna do that. Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by gford001 View Post
    Awesome idea. I'm gonna do that. Cheers

Dont forget to glass around the brace before putting it over the conduit. I am sure you will work outr the details. I saw a similar idea on another rebuild video.
    Your a better man than me for taking it on, lol. I just want to go fishing.

Quote Originally Posted by brett62 View Post
    Sounds easy hey !!!!! try with your head stuck under the stern inside and the world is different from that angle. There was much swearing when my hair became part of the lay.
    You need a "lack of haircut" like me. Of course that just means you're head will be stuck to the boat

It doesn't matter how careful you are, the "home handyman" glasser will end up with stuff stuck to your hands, shoes, hair, tools, seat and anything else within 10 metres of the work place, then further when you try to clean everything off away from the job site, been there and done it, walking along the verandah tiles with resin on my shoe wasn't a big hit either, neither was dripping some acetone on the vinyl seat cover outside.