Thread: Just moved to Brisbane- Looking for tips/fishing buddies!

Just moved to Brisbane- Looking for tips/fishing buddies!

I just moved to Brisbane from California, USA, and would love to get some lines wet over here. Planning to live near the river in West End or South Brisbane, so looking for info on how to get some land-based fishing done in the area! I'd also love to meet some local fisherman so if anyone would be open to have me tag along on a fishing trip I'd love that. Besides that, any general tips on where to fish and what to use would be much appreciated! Cheers

Re: Just moved to Brisbane- Looking for tips/fishing buddies!

Not much to catch on that stretch of the brissie river other than catfish. You could try for sharks with the right fresh water eel bait.

Ausfish Silver Member jackson4300's Avatar

Re: Just moved to Brisbane- Looking for tips/fishing buddies!

Hi Davidswerdlow,

Do a quick search on youtube for fishing in the Brisbane River, some good videos which show techniques, baits and locations.
    There are threadfin salmon which have been caught a lot further up river, but there are still plenty of other species that you might encounter.
    For the bigger fish, live bait is best, mullet, herring, prawns or garfish are some common baits that are fairly easy to target.