Thread: Caloundra Wide 28/7

Caloundra Wide 28/7

We had a massive day fishing on Saturday.
    Left Ipswich at 4.30am and headed to Scarborough harbour, put the boat in and punched out through the Northerly wind blowing in our faces.
    First drop was about 8.30am on our usual mark but there was nothing much around so we moved south to some contour lines on the GPS and found the Pearlies and Trag Jew.
    We drifted over them all day and had two different drift lines that were producing. A nice slow drift with the parachute saw us bringing up a steady flow of legal and undersized fish.
    We went back to our original mark later in the afternoon hoping for some snapper but pulled up a 1.2m, 16kg Amberjack.
    We thought we had been sharked as he had some solid runs on 30lb braid but we were happy to see an AJ rather than the tax man. We released him after a few photos as the esky was already pretty full and reset the drift but nothing else was about.
    We moved back south to the area that was producing to finish off the afternoon and packed up at 6.30pm to head back to the ramp.
    Another bumpy run back and home in Ipswich at 10.30pm.
    It was a long day but we are glad to have finally had a good days fishing rather than getting stuff all off Moreton as we havnt had much luck out there lately.
    Side note- I was very surprised to catch a 70cm Catfish in 74m of water Offshore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Caloundra Wide 28/7

Hey nice catfish :-)
    But well done on the trag - what depth were they?
    Stud AJ and some might say lucky on 30lb gear - but not all know which way to go once hooked :-)
    Sounds like you worked for the result you got
    Thanks for the report
    Cheers

Trev

Quote Originally Posted by TREVELLY View Post
    Hey nice catfish :-)
    But well done on the trag - what depth were they?
    Stud AJ and some might say lucky on 30lb gear - but not all know which way to go once hooked :-)
    Sounds like you worked for the result you got
    Thanks for the report
    Thanks TREVELLY, obviously we ate the catfish first..........
    All Trag were in about 74m of water amongst the pearlies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You get onto little patches of the catties from time to time. They were thick on some spots on the Hards last year. Also seen them thick on the Gneerings. A mate from Hervey Bay who proed a bit said you have to sit them out, they are with the snapper. I guess up at Wathumba and Rooneys for him but they were certainly on some good snapper marks at the Hards last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Smithy View Post
    You get onto little patches of the catties from time to time. They were thick on some spots on the Hards last year. Also seen them thick on the Gneerings. A mate from Hervey Bay who proed a bit said you have to sit them out, they are with the snapper. I guess up at Wathumba and Rooneys for him but they were certainly on some good snapper marks at the Hards last year.
    Got a heap last year about this time at Murphies
    Have not caught any up here in Hervey bay hopefully I won’t run into them tomorrow night

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish mobile app

We caught a few catfish in 98 meters off 1770 last year.

I have heard rumours over the years that the big silver catfish caught in the bay and offshore are good chewing if prepared correctly - bled/iced/filleted and skinned!

Anyone ever been game enough to try?!

Fortunately times have never been that tough for myself! hahaha