Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Water in fuel tank

Re: Water in fuel tank

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtyfuzz View Post
    Did think of a plastic tank but as I’m only replacing the starboard side I had concerns of the weight difference on each side and changing the ride and stability!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    As long as it's the same capacity (or close) it will be fine.

Ausfish Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtyfuzz View Post
    Thanks ranmar! There is a lot of water getting into the tank aswell, all fittings and connections have been replaced so I’m stuffed if I know where it’s coming from, the port tank is perfect so there is an issue regardless

Yuk. If your pickups aren't right on the very bottom, at lowest point, it can be hard to drain water. You'll run into the school of thought that says you shouldn't have your pickups at the lowest point because you will pick up crap, but IMO, that just doesn't work with boats. Contents are always getting mixed up by motion, so you are better off having the pickup at the lowest point, at the back, so you can get every last bit out, and not have any water settle when you have it on the trailer.

I’ve been pumping it out with a manual vane drum pump with a Flexi hose connected to it, I’ve been doing this for two years now hence I’ve given up the though it will miraculously come clean!

Mercury 115ct going strong😁

Deck filler skin fittings are often overlooked, rain/wash water sneaks under the fitting then lays in the top of the clamped on filler hose then straight to the tank.
    Don't know if it applies to you though dirtyfuzz.

Quote Originally Posted by Fed View Post
    Deck filler skin fittings are often overlooked, rain/wash water sneaks under the fitting then lays in the top of the clamped on filler hose then straight to the tank.
    Don't know if it applies to you though dirtyfuzz.
    All the bits have been replaced( fuel fillers,pipes etc) And double clamped everything with no difference, not sure if all the old fuel as it breaks down into a liquid form can suck the water in, its just interesting that the port tank I have no issue with dirty fuel and has never had any water accumulate in the sight glass, will be keen to see what the tank looks like when it comes out!

It won't be pretty I can tell you, been there and done that.

You must have overlooked something dirtyfuzz, there's no way I'd pull or replace the tank without first finding where the water was coming from.

Water leaks are sneaky, I've seen them defying gravity and run along the underside of a gunnel from an unsealed rod holder to the underside of a fuel filler.

Water on the top of the tank, floor sealed? Breather fitting? It has to come from somewhere mate.

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    It won't be pretty I can tell you, been there and done that.
    Yeah I can imagine, if all the flushing I have done and still coming out like the posted photo I’m sure I will be thinking why did I just waste 2 years and countless litres of fuel not to mention the space 4x45l reserve tanks take up on the deck,but like panning for gold, the next flush will hopefully be the one! Ah well “bring out another thousand” I got the boat at a good price and will still be a mile in front with the refurb!

Water in fuel tank

You must have overlooked something dirtyfuzz, there's no way I'd pull or replace the tank without first finding where the water was coming from.

Water leaks are sneaky, I've seen them defying gravity and run along the underside of a gunnel from an unsealed rod holder to the underside of a fuel filler.

Water on the top of the tank, floor sealed? Breather fitting? It has to come from somewhere mate.
    The only way I can see it getting in is via a crack in the stainless filler tube or suction line above the deck or where it’s welded on below the deck Either way the tank and floor still has to come up, even if water is getting in by sitting on top of the tank, it must mean that there are holes or cracks and again the deck and tanks will need to be removed to access, I have gone over everything a hundred times still to no avail! Oh and the tank has two spin outs above for inspection and appears very dry! I have poked a cable tie with cloth down all sides of the tank through the spin out and it’s dry also!

Top of the tank being dry is great and in my mind all the more reason to keep looking.
    Having said that, you have eyes on it & you know exactly what you've done & checked whereas I'm only typing on a computer.

Both the filler & breather skin fittings bedding in with goop?

Love to see you kick a goal without pulling the tank, not even sure if pulling the tank will solve the mystery.

It's pretty common for old stainless tanks to crack around welded fittings, the filler is a prime suspect, as is the breather, I guess the breather has a loop up at the top?, the problem is not just the water, but all the rusty rubbish that forms from having water in the tank.

also condensation can build up over time as well
    you have a half empty tank which sucks in 100l of warm air it cools forms condensation that is trapped by the same loop that prevents water entering the breather , add 20 years of this and litres of water can form

also add in spray which i ssucked in as your using the boat, loop or not as a emptying tank acts like a vacum cleaner

if the tanks are every left empty the remaining fuel crystalises all over the insides of the tank and will slowly redissolve with fuel making it look brown for years to come

dealing with historic car fuel tanks i now know you cant clean a fuel tank in place and is a labour intensive process needing chemical and mechanical cleaners
    i epoxy line all my old car fuel tanks now

Top of the tank being dry is great and in my mind all the more reason to keep looking.
    Having said that, you have eyes on it & you know exactly what you've done & checked whereas I'm only typing on a computer.

Both the filler & breather skin fittings bedding in with goop?

Love to see you kick a goal without pulling the tank, not even sure if pulling the tank will solve the mystery.
    Nah it’s coming out, I’ve wasted too much time on it, If it was only a water issue I could deal with but I don’t think the tank will ever be cleaned properly as there is too much crap in it and if these motors decide to snuff it then I’m left with a boat that I can’t use anyway until the tank issue is rectified before a Repower, the guy I have doing it is the same guy who modified the 6.2 mould to be the 2400 and worked st kevlacat for 20 years and also powercat so I’m pretty confident he will do a good job for me and with the Info he has given me is the main reason I’m cutting my losses!

I hope it all goes smoothly for you, let us know eh?

So do I and hope there are no surprises, the family has owned this boat since new and has been sitting in the shed in Mackay used as a storage container for the last 20 odd years but anything could happen!