Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Water in fuel tank

Water in fuel tank

So for the last 12months I have been treating a starboard fuel tank that has most likely been sitting not completely empty for 20 years and I have inherited the boat and also the problems, originally the first few tanks cleans the petrol came out resembling an espresso but with a lot of fuel doctor treatments, lacquer thinners and acetone it is getting better but not perfect, when I first take a sample the fuel mix is cloudy but clears leaves a brown deposit with varnish grit more noticeable in the straight acetone sample shot.
    All hoses and fuel fillers and caps have been replaced and the port tank is perfect
    Before I decide on the last resort option of having the tank cut out, I’m open to any other suggestions others may have
    Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mercury 115ct going strong😁

Re: Water in fuel tank

Try to get a siphon hose right to the bottom of the tank, either through the filler, or the gauge sender hole if it has one, I used a garden hose with a Snapper lead taped on, move the boat to get the hose to the lowest point and siphon fuel out, no amount of miracle cures will get all the crap out, regardless of what you are told, or what the label says, siphon from the bottom is a must, drain it into plastic tanks on the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    Try to get a siphon hose right to the bottom of the tank, either through the filler, or the gauge sender hole if it has one, I used a garden hose with a Snapper lead taped on, move the boat to get the hose to the lowest point and siphon fuel out, no amount of miracle cures will get all the crap out, regardless of what you are told, or what the label says, siphon from the bottom is a must, drain it into plastic tanks on the ground.
    Thanks noelm I have drained tank with a drum pump and a length of pvc to get to bottom via filler, as it was parked with the nose up in the shed for so long I would suspect most of the crap will be at the rear of the tank, thing that has me puzzled is does the varnish/sludge when broken down go into a liquid form and sit on the bottom of sample like dirty brown water or I have two problems of the varnish/sludge and water also entering

Most solid kinds of stuff will just break up and float around getting picked up as you go, and hopefully caught in the filter, nothing in the known world will just make it go away, people say metho, acetone and every proprietary product you can buy, all might work with small amounts of water, but dirt and rubbish is another thing altogether. Even though it's a big job, I would just cut it out, fix it properly once and be done with it, rather than hope everything is OK.

Surely in this day and age you'd think someone has come up with an idea like the Creepy Crawly Swimming Pool Cleaner remember those old tv adds if they made one for fuel and a miniature model itwould work brilliant with a small camera and a small spray hose to dislodge varnish

from what i have seen over the years of varnish in carburetors is it floats around usually the varnish is left behind when a carburetor is left full and it dries out over time

the idea's are endless on how to clean it but i actually think u will never clean it all if u look at jetski fuel tanks that have been around 20-25 years u will see the varnish inside the tanks there is no access to clean it out

i would if i were u siphon the tank completely dry to the bone using a fuel safe vacuum thru the sender unit than your only hope is to keep replacing filters cutting the open if u use the non viewable ones and keep doing it untill you'r in the clear

i most definatly would not be ripping a welded in or glassed over tank just to clean the fuel tank

you could work out what the pro's use possibly a degreaser,carby cleaner, acid or something fill up the tank and suck it dry with the vacuum (fuel safe) keep repeating untill its clean

bigger worry is how the heck is it getting in there in the first place

Cut it out, fit a plastic underfloor tank, job done.

Ok next question anyone know a decent boat repairer/builder on the sunshine coast,Al at seatrek is too busy building boats for the next few years!

Can you get a camera in there to have a good look around before cutting out

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums

Those last two pictures look like rust from the petrol stations tanks unavoidable

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    Those last two pictures look like rust from the petrol stations tanks unavoidable
    It feels like old varnish off the bottom of tank, it dissolves as soon as you touch it

Quote Originally Posted by shakey55 View Post
    Can you get a camera in there to have a good look around before cutting out

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums
    Yeah mate did that but couldn’t see a lot and didn’t want to push camera in too far Incase it got stuck in a baffle,there is a clean spot below the fuel filler where I have most likely loosened the varnish checking levels with a dip stick, all around that is brown

If the adverts on TV are correct two fills with BP will clean your tank and the rest of the fuel system at the same time. Its got to be true cause its on TV!!!
    What could go wrong.......................

Quote Originally Posted by Chimo View Post
    If the adverts on TV are correct two fills with BP will clean your tank and the rest of the fuel system at the same time. Its got to be true cause its on TV!!!
    It must be special stuff as they charge an extra 10c per L up here!

I'm with gazza, you need to stop the water getting in before you even think about doing anything else.

Took a sample with the boat dropped all the way down in the front and the sample is perfect, has anyone seen the design of a kevlacat tank, I’m assuming it is in two or 3 compartments separated by baffles