Thread: Old Analog to new digital

Old Analog to new digital

Hello All
    I'm hoping to up grade from my old Analog dial type Fuel, Battery Meter, Taco gauges to new Digital gauges and need to start the process of gathering information.

Firstly: Are these Old to New gauges just a straight swap out, Simply use the current Wiring thats in place now to my Old Analog dials ?

Secondly ; I have Evinrude 70 hp 4 strokes 1999 models , do I have to use Evinrude gauges ?

Any information will be great to start with.

Re: Old Analog to new digital

Those 99 Evinrude 4s were Suzuki’s, although i think they predate the Haines group’s stewardship of that brand.

https://www.boatsales.com.au/editori...-strokes-8206/

Not sure if later Suzuki gauges would work, I’m pretty sure yours won’t be nmea2k motors. I think you’ll be limited to “analog” digital gauges - ie. they may display digital but you’re still feeding them analog information. Hopefully a Suzuki guru can shed some light.

Sent from my iPad using Ausfish forums

Unfortunately your Johnzuki’s are too early for NMEA2000 data to digital gauges. Earliest Zukes with N2K output was 2002.

You’re out of luck, I am afraid.
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

Quote Originally Posted by Moonlighter View Post
    Unfortunately your Johnzuki’s are too early for NMEA2000 data to digital gauges. Earliest Zukes with N2K output was 2002.

You’re out of luck, I am afraid.
    This. You may be able to find a digital aftermarket gauge set that uses traditional inputs but everything offered by the OEM's is not suitable.

Quote Originally Posted by mick.j View Post
    Hello All
    I'm hoping to up grade from my old Analog dial type Fuel, Battery Meter, Taco gauges to new Digital gauges and need to start the process of gathering information.

Firstly: Are these Old to New gauges just a straight swap out, Simply use the current Wiring thats in place now to my Old Analog dials ?

Secondly ; I have Evinrude 70 hp 4 strokes 1999 models , do I have to use Evinrude gauges ?

Any information will be great to start with.
    To answer your questions more fully. -

Firstly, no, in the scenario you have, the new digital engine data gauges are not able to use the existing wiring from the engine.

Basically, they all work only when an engine that outputs NMEA2000 readable data is connected to a NMEA2000 network by an engine interface cable, and then the digital gauges are also connected to the network, and can thus display the engine data.

The NMEA2000 digital “gauges” are really just displays that are set up to mainly display engine data, and they can usually also display other data that is sent to the network such as speed and distance data sent to the network from a GPS. They also have the ability to combine engine fuel flow with speed data to calculate fuel economy.

Secondly, as already mentioned, if your Johnzuki was made after 2002, it would output NMEA2000 data. Then you could use engine data displays from several manufacturers such as those made by Garmin, Lowrance, Simrad or Suzuki.

Evinrude also had a version of the Lowrance LMF400 display I think they called it command link or somehing like that.

The Suzuki digital SMIS displays are also in fact slightly tweaked & rebadged Lowrance LMF400’s and their newer C-10 is similarly a cloned Simrad IS35.

The other big problem for early Suzuki 4 stroke owners with engines made 2002-2009 is that the Suzuki interface cables currently available new from delaers generally wont work properly with those earlier motors. You would therefore need to find an early version cable (used) and upload the correct software version to suit the year of the motor.

Those old version cables are becoming almost impossible to find. And expensive like $350or more.
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

Quick search doesn't show too many options for digital gauges with traditional inputs apart from automotive with these being the exception

http://www.cruzpro.com/index.html

Can't comment on suitability or quality as I have never used them. Personally I would stick with the analogue. Even if you did update, you may still need a Suzuki?Johnson instrument to display alarm warning lights. Even with some of the earlier NMEA 2000 stuff with Suzuki this was the case - they had an additional alarm indication panel.

thankyou so much team for all your detailed replies, I'm sorry I took so long to get back to you all but I do appreciate the replies.

all in all and form all your advise i will replace with analogue.

Another option surfaced at the Brisbane boat show that I hadn't seen before. Not cheap but able to create new style single panel LCD display type gauges for any engine that runs analogue outputs. Made by VDO - Oceanlink series of gear - available in 4 or 7 inch display by the brochure. Saw it on the AMI Sales stand.