Thread: Wax on wax off, What do u polish with?

Wax on wax off, What do u polish with?

Hey guys how are u polishing your boats, canoes etc..? i have just picked up a stepping stone jetski i am keeping it to do up and re-sell in Summer for a trailer or an E-Tec part of, its a little 90''s era Seadoo and it looks like it has sat in the sun for the past 8 years neglected

the upper and lower hull are both faded, the front hood is faded very neglected

anyone out there with a Seadoo Sportster if so how are u bringing back the look on the twin plastic hoods?

anyone else who polishes the gel coat on boats got an idea where to start? not much info on youtube about polishing jetski's

i want a preferably easy process but no quickies like using Maguires Once a Year Polish i want to do it the right way, today i had my car head light rejevinator kit arrive and it came with a small 2-2.5" buffing wheel i put on the drill my head lights came out amazingly clear and i thought hey i could do a similar thing to the jetski's hull

so now i have the disc/wheel on the drill with a velcro pad i may be able to find some polishing equipment for it to do the jetski

what process in each steps would u take to bring back the shine? if u can please let me know which products too buy trying to keep it cheap tho

Re: Wax on wax off, What do u polish with?

If it's really bad, very fine wet and dry paper first, then cutting compound, then polish, I like the Septone extra cut because it's white, for some reason, that red cutting compound stains gel coat and it's takes a lot of work to get it clean again.

3000 wet & dry with soapy water should do the trick. And ditto to the red cutting compound, This billy goat only made that mistake once.

Did you get one of those kits on ebay or Ali ?. I bought one of those cheap polishing kits for my black Crunchydore off Ali and was pleasantly surprised with it so ordered some additional pads both bah bah and foam. Makes light work of it for an old bugger like me.

DoNotFeedTheTrollsAandBelligerent

Thanks Noel can i use the white cutting compound over the yellow gel coat does it stain like the red stuff? Or is there a colour range?

Thanks Steeler i dont think i have ever seen such fine grade paper i will check out super cheap while getting the CC

DoNotFeedTheTrollsAandBelligerent

The white stuff is OK on any colour, I just know from experience that the red stuff stains gel coat, it's OK on car paint, but a gel coat it leaves a dark crap stain, must be something to do with how gelcoat is made, porous maybe?

Hey Gazza,
    I've used many different types of marine polish and none gave me the look I was after, I finally used wet and dry from 800 to 3000 grit and then applied marine wipe new, gave me the look I was after, like a brand new boat.
    Easy to clean, and when I'm squid fishing, and the boat gets inked, wash's off with the deck wash, too easy.
    just google it, its a big job when you have to do a 6m Haines sig, but its payed off as it looks awesome.
    cheers
    Russ

Quote Originally Posted by russ71 View Post
    Hey Gazza,
    I've used many different types of marine polish and none gave me the look I was after, I finally used wet and dry from 800 to 3000 grit and then applied marine wipe new, gave me the look I was after, like a brand new boat.
    Easy to clean, and when I'm squid fishing, and the boat gets inked, wash's off with the deck wash, too easy.
    just google it, its a big job when you have to do a 6m Haines sig, but its payed off as it looks awesome.
    cheers
    Russ
    Hey Russ i seen someone comment about this product yesterday for car head lights i thought it was another random product someone were flogging, i can't seem to find this marine wipe new it comes up in google but none of the suppliers or even there own actual web site doesn't have it

do u know how much it cost and where i can buy it?

Russ i have been calling around for that product looks like it is discontinued i called Peps Auto and also AutoBarn both didn't stock it or could order it in, Autobarn said they didn't have a SKU code for it

Rustoleum sells a similar wipe out of the USA but i think shipping would be a deal breaker

wipe-new.com.au
    02 9772 9000
    look under products in marine, I just got onto the site with no issues.
    If your in vic, there sales rep, Michael, 0412 570 543
    its not cheap, ( maybe 200 to 300 for 500mls) but I was tiered of polishing my boat twice a year and trying to remove stains of ink and other crap, its like putting a clear film on you gelcoat, and its sooooo easy to clean and looks brand new, best money I've spent on the boat besides a permatrim.

cheers
    Russ

$300 for a paint restorer, the whole jetski in running condition cost me $500 lol i will keep looking for alternatives thanks Russ

Kids who Hunt and Fish, Don't Deal and Steal.

Russ when u click on that link than go to there online shop the product for marine is not available

Triple i read that link but stopped about half way down, i loved that guys finish from the beginning to end the boats looked amazing but i am unable to use the acid wash on the jetski as the hood, and trim are plastic plus various other knobs for chokes and kill switches

i asked a detailer on facebook how much to polish the jetski and were quoted $130 i think that is a bloody fair price i may take him up on it but i hope he doesn't come out with a cloth and just wipe over it and collect $130