Thread: Brake pressure

Brake pressure

Curious.
    How much pressure do break away brakes need.
    Hydrostar quote 1200psi and 1600psi

AL CO are about 800 to 1000 for their IQ7.

How much is really needed?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Re: Brake pressure

Hi Stu

My limited experience with my Hydrastar as fitted to my hydraulic brakes on my Tinka seems to indicate that how much braking is applied to the the rotors / tyres seems to depend on your in car brake controller being cranked up to high.

Cheers
    Chimo.

PS Re actual psi needed : no idea I just look for the result, a boat trailer that will pull the Patrol up when I operate the in car controller after I set it up.
    What could go wrong.......................

Re: Brake pressure

I had a 1600PSI Hydrastar unit on my last trailer which was a tandem axle with 12" discs and 3.5T rating controlled by a Tekonsha P3. It worked quite well stopping it all up including the Jeep. ( I tested it). I think off the top of my head that the 1600PSI will handle tri-axle trailers as well. If I remember correctly, I never had to apply more than about 7V to the Hydrastar in the normal course of braking, but when you apply the manual control it went up much higher.

When I ordered it I figured that it was better to have more pressure than I needed, then not have it and need it. That way if the Jeeps brakes failed for what ever reason then it would help to stop both. A bit of overkill never hurt anyone!