Thread: Advice needed - Whittley CW1950 or Tournament 1900

Advice needed - Whittley CW1950 or Tournament 1900

Hi everyone,

I've been reading this forum with huge interest for some time now, what a great community and fantastic source of information!

I'm after my first boat, to use 80% time in the bays and estuaries and occasionally (20%) offshore trips. Must be glass and must be brand new.

After extensive online research my choice comes down to these two - Whittley CW1950 or Tournament 1900

Both have similar price tag.

On a paper at least, Tournament 1900 looks like bigger / more seaworthy boat, however I didn't like it that much when I checked it out in person during the Melbourne show. Whittley 1950 looks like a more refined boat with much better fit and finish, and I really liked it when saw in person, however I think it's slightly smaller and I'm not sure of its offshore capabilities.

Unfortunately nearest dealerships are plane flight away from me and I do not have time to travel to a different state to do a proper water test, so will rely on internet reviews / videos / and people's feedback only.

Thanks everyone in advance

Re: Advice needed - Whittley CW1950 or Tournament 1900

Just my opinion but that Tourny looks outdated looks like a 1990's design, the Whitt looks fabulous and well designed other than that i have no other input

Having owned a Whittely for some years its a 2003 cruiser 660, i am still impressed by the workmanship, fit & finish of the boat plus its an excellent sea boat inshore & offshore.
    I havent got any knowledge about the particular hulls you are looking at, but Whittley appear to be a well respected builder of boats. Tournament have also been around for a number of years now and seem to have established themselves well.
    Hopefully some more first hand experienced people will offer their advice. I would personally recommend test driving any boats before buying, if you can, as you are investing good money.

First boat, I'd be going 2nd hand. If you are worried about the motor, get something with a 2 stroke on it, screw them down on price and repower with a 4 stroke and hydraulic steering straight away.

First boat, exciting times. Sounds like you've done some research, fibreglass is definitely a good preference. Comments advising you to buy second hand will be typical, although if you can afford it and you intend to look after it, nothing beats brand new, first boat or not.

Regarding the two boats, I haven't been on a Tournament but I have been on a slightly larger Whittley, very nice rig. Plenty of good reports about the manufacturer too, still run by the original family as far as I know.

My advice in relation to 19 foot boats broadly, they're a really good size (small enough for inshore stuff, large enough to go offshore) and typically skate between two horsepower brackets, 115 and 150. Sub-19 foot boats, expect a 115. 20 foot plus, expect a 150 or greater. The 19 foot mark is where all the confusion happens. Many will be fitted with a 115, which is fine and reduces the price.

BUT if you intend to load it up with family and gear, perhaps do some watersports, don't muck around; get a 150 or you may have regrets. 115hp outboards are typically the highest output of the midrange size class (i.e. typically around the 2L mark), whereas 150s are the lowest output of the class above and are generally much higher displacement and have a shedload more torque. Totally different classes of performance. Another thing, make sure you get hydraulic steering.

Trailers are another thing that's contentious at the 19 foot mark. 18 footers, expect a single axle, 20 footers, expect a dual axle. 19s come with both. You'd prefer a dual axle.

Most other things (electronics etc) can be chopped and changed throughout ownership. But it is absolutely critical you get the engine and trailer right from the outset. An underpowered boat is NOT fun and can be dangerous. Likewise a single axle trailer that is barely within the load rating.

From the lean burn 2 strokes i have seen going from 135-150 your going from 4 cylinder to 6 cylinder a bit more weight on the transom so make sure u have a decent car to tow it

i have towed my old boat a Swift Craft 18.5ft 140hp Evinrude donk some silly w... put it on a single axle trailer and i didn't know much about boats at the time, i towed it behind a v6 commodore auto with a oil cooler for the transmission, a little tip i never knew with an auto vehicle you are to use 1,2,3rd and D while towing such loads not just drive gear

Quote Originally Posted by Davidson View Post
    First boat, exciting times. Sounds like you've done some research, fibreglass is definitely a good preference. Comments advising you to buy second hand will be typical, although if you can afford it and you intend to look after it, nothing beats brand new, first boat or not.

Regarding the two boats, I haven't been on a Tournament but I have been on a slightly larger Whittley, very nice rig. Plenty of good reports about the manufacturer too, still run by the original family as far as I know.

My advice in relation to 19 foot boats broadly, they're a really good size (small enough for inshore stuff, large enough to go offshore) and typically skate between two horsepower brackets, 115 and 150. Sub-19 foot boats, expect a 115. 20 foot plus, expect a 150 or greater. The 19 foot mark is where all the confusion happens. Many will be fitted with a 115, which is fine and reduces the price.

BUT if you intend to load it up with family and gear, perhaps do some watersports, don't muck around; get a 150 or you may have regrets. 115hp outboards are typically the highest output of the midrange size class (i.e. typically around the 2L mark), whereas 150s are the lowest output of the class above and are generally much higher displacement and have a shedload more torque. Totally different classes of performance. Another thing, make sure you get hydraulic steering.

Trailers are another thing that's contentious at the 19 foot mark. 18 footers, expect a single axle, 20 footers, expect a dual axle. 19s come with both. You'd prefer a dual axle.

Most other things (electronics etc) can be chopped and changed throughout ownership. But it is absolutely critical you get the engine and trailer right from the outset. An underpowered boat is NOT fun and can be dangerous. Likewise a single axle trailer that is barely within the load rating.
    Very good advice. As far as I concerned this size boat fits right in the boating sweet spot. The only time I ever wished for a bigger boat is when I should not have been out there in the first place. Two suggestions is one consider fuel capacity at 115 litres a little on the smaller side but don’t dispair always have a jerry can with you offshore. Another is if you can get the 135 or 150 merc 4 stroke have a long hard look at these. These are seriously good engines an enormously torquey. Coming from a 135 opti I thought I would be disappointed but I was wrong mid range power is great and no slouch off the line either. Brett

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish mobile app

Ausfish Silver Member Ducksnutz's Avatar
    Blog Entries

My Tournament 1900cc Bluewater has a 160l fuel tank and i recommend getting this option.
    Mine is a pre- Haines group Tourney and is rated to 150hp. I believe the Haines boys have increased this to 175hp probably because of the Suzuki 175 which they also control comes under the weight max.
    Cant comment on the Whitley as I’ve never been in one but the Tourney Bluewater 1900 Hull is a good honest hull and would recommend.

Thanks everyone for your input! Every bit helps! Thanks Davidson for heaps of advice and Ducksnutz for sharing personal experience with the Tourney.
    I don't want to go second hand way, as I don't see much attraction there in terms of $ savings, and I simply don't have enough time to hunt for the best deal and fly to another state to try out every candidate.

The other important thing for consideration here is the size (I mentioned earlier that Whittley looks a bit smaller). The manufacturer claimes size of 6.17m, but that includes rear pods and bowsprit. Without those it's more like 5.5-5.7m or 18-18.5' (which looks correct, considering that the hull is based on Savage Mako 5.5). If I go this route I'm going to power it with Yamaha 130. Also I think it was mentioned at the show that fuel tank is now 145l.

Tournament 1900 is almost 6m without bowsprit, so honest 19-19.5'. Thinking about powering it with Suzuki 140, maybe Yamaha 150, haven't chat with the dealer about it yet. Tournament also have slightly heavier hull and greater capacity. Overall Tourney package will be about $4-5k more, but I don't care much about price (can afford much dearer boats, just can't justify spending that much), I just want to buy great, honest and capable boat and not be disappointed, probably will keep the boat for at least 10 years, unless will want to upgrade to larger one (6.5m+) sooner.

Again loved the Whittley at the show (not so much Tourney) but concerned about size really..

Have a look at a Yalta 2200 or a Yalta craft 2000 if room in the boat is important to you.( you will not find a roomier glass boat) They lack the "flash " of a whittley but are comparable to a tournament when i was looking around.
    for me there was a saving over the tournament of about 30K which is no small amount, I pick a day with an ordinary forecast and went for a blast on the run out tide. from there it was a no brainer, quick run to Gympie to the factory on a weekend to see one in the build and a talk to the bloke who makes them. SOLD.
    got mine through motor sport marine on the northside because thats where I live , all i'll say is make sure you spend an hour or more on the water in ordinary conditions before you drop 50 - 100K of your hard earned on the counter. and if the dealer has any hesitation in a solid hour on the water before he has your money that the level of effort you can expect for the rest of your customer relationship. I'd turn and walk out and count it as a good day and a near miss.

BigE

Sounds like you have talked yourself into the Tournament. Go for it. A mate has just spent the last 1.5 years looking for the right Tournament 2000 with a 4 stroke second hand for around $50K but ended up with a Tournament 19'er with a 150 or 175 Suzuki so heaps of power. The all glass ones were holding their value and sellers wouldn't drop in price.

Quote Originally Posted by Islander77 View Post
    Thanks everyone for your input! Every bit helps! Thanks Davidson for heaps of advice and Ducksnutz for sharing personal experience with the Tourney.
    I don't want to go second hand way, as I don't see much attraction there in terms of $ savings, and I simply don't have enough time to hunt for the best deal and fly to another state to try out every candidate.

The other important thing for consideration here is the size (I mentioned earlier that Whittley looks a bit smaller). The manufacturer claimes size of 6.17m, but that includes rear pods and bowsprit. Without those it's more like 5.5-5.7m or 18-18.5' (which looks correct, considering that the hull is based on Savage Mako 5.5). If I go this route I'm going to power it with Yamaha 130. Also I think it was mentioned at the show that fuel tank is now 145l.

Tournament 1900 is almost 6m without bowsprit, so honest 19-19.5'. Thinking about powering it with Suzuki 140, maybe Yamaha 150, haven't chat with the dealer about it yet. Tournament also have slightly heavier hull and greater capacity. Overall Tourney package will be about $4-5k more, but I don't care much about price (can afford much dearer boats, just can't justify spending that much), I just want to buy great, honest and capable boat and not be disappointed, probably will keep the boat for at least 10 years, unless will want to upgrade to larger one (6.5m+) sooner.

Again loved the Whittley at the show (not so much Tourney) but concerned about size really..
    the suzi 140 is a good donk but i think you will be underpowered. Go for a six cylinder on this size boat 150 upwards.