Thread: Spin reel for bones

Spin reel for bones

Hey all I’m heading to CXI next year and I’m taking my son.
    As he doesn’t fly fish he will be spinning for bonefish.
    What’s a spinning reel that will hold 150 mts of 20lb braid. And something that’s not going to cost an arm and a leg!!

Cheers Marty

Re: Spin reel for bones

If you are wanting to hold 150m of 20lb braid there probably is a gazzilion different types and brands out there ranging from cheap and nasty to stupidly expensive. Depending on the brand of 20lb braid usually on average it is about half the thickness of mono, so most of the 100 to 150 sized reels will be able to hold that amount. Unfortunately there is no standard that manufacturers stick to that I can see regarding the size of reels. Some label their reels as 1000 size for about the same size as a "100", and some "100 sized" reels have double the capacity of other brands "100 sized" reels, having said that most of the small ones will fit your requirements, just depends on your budget and what you would like in a reel, ie: bearing count, drag capacity, brand name etc.

Go to a store like BCF or Fredd'y that have a range of reels out on display and spin them in your hand and you will find that some feel nicer than others, are more balanced or smoother to help you decide.

Personally I would prefer a smallish bait caster reel for that capacity and again the price and quality range is enormous.

Cheers. I ended up buying a stadic 4000

Stradic. Bloody auto correct

Good choice.