Thread: Suzuki Garmin NMEA

Suzuki Garmin NMEA

Hi brains trust.

Have recently put a DF40 on my tinnie.
    A mate suggested I could hook the outboard up to my first Garmin 551s combo in order to get fuel usage info on the screen.

I did check the garmin had NMEA.

Thats all I know.

What is required to get this?

do I need to buy anything else?

is it worthwhile?

who can I speak to for info?

Can the suk dealer help?

thank
    Rob

Re: Suzuki Garmin NMEA

Yes, it can be done.

Yes, your Suzuki dealer will be able to help.

But expect it to be a bit expensive.

And it will depend on whether your 40 is new or older as to whether it can be done easily or with more difficulty and expense.

Depending on engine year, about $300-$400. You need a Suzuki engine intrface cable, an adapter cable to plug it into the engine, and a NMEA2000 starter kit ($70).

But it will get you a lot more than just fuel use. It gets you all engine related data including

RPM, alternator voltage, engine temperature, engine hours, trim (on engines with a trim sender) fuel flow rate, fuel used, seasonal fuel used, trip fuel used. Newer "A" series also get water speed.

If you want to understand more about this stuff, I wrote a pretty comprehensive article for members on the Suzuki outboard forum, here is a link if you want to read about it:

http://www.suzukioutboardforum.com/f...a2000-networks
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

Thanks alot Moonlighter.

I couldnt get the file to load off the Suk site, but the outboard is brand new, so i will have a chat with the dealer when she goes back for her first service in a few weeks.

Thanks again.
    Rob

I bought all the components myself and did the install as well. This way you don't have to pay labour. The new Suzuki 4 strokes are plug and play with Garmin.
    Remember to always log on before heading offshore.

Here is a direct link to it from my dropbox folder

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qo6nfc7oby...02016.pdf?dl=0
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....