Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Whittley Steering Wheel in the way

Re: Whittley Steering Wheel in the way

custom go kart steering wheel butterfly design.

Get a nice flat piece of red gum and a router make your own steering wheel

Just get one of these..........bet they're cheap😂😂😂

https://www.redbull.com/us-en/formul...breakdown-2016

would suck with out the top of the wheel i know when driving off shore you need as much wheel to hang on to as you can at times
    would have used a ram bracket or two and mounted it elsewhere it doesnt need to be in front of you

fill the hole with a neat piece fo smoked perspex and start again

Quote Originally Posted by catshark View Post
    steering wheel is too big, dash area is great, go the cut off option, like formula one racing cars.
    I think this sums up the situation really well, I'm going to get a second hand steering wheel similar to mine and cut out part of the top section and give it a try. Should only need to cut out just below silver bits on my wheel. Hanging onto top of wheel when offshore is a real concern, but i want to try.
    Cutting one out of red gum with a router appeals to my pocket but even though I'm quite handy with tools i doubt i could achieve a good result. the ram idea is something i like however wherever it would go would impact on the windscreen, switches or motor controls, or passage way, I really appreciate everyones input, thanks will keep you posted how it goes.

Tezza the chances of driving a strait line in thebay, river, ocean isnt going to happen i know for my self i am always counter steering at slow speeds to find the fish so if u cut just the top its likely other parts of the steering wheel will be in the way unless your driving dead strait

well did the cut on a $30 steering wheel off gumtree, looks & feels good, just have to see in real time if it works. Ive kept the original whittley one so i can swap it back if I'm not happy.
    Yes Gazza I thought about that but it will still be better when stationary, & can only be improvement on prior vision. I will update you all when I've tried it out on the water.
    The only other alternative will be to swap position with top gauges & sounder, but would entail more work.
    Attached Images Attached Images

THIS is exactly what I would do.

Quote Originally Posted by catshark View Post
    steering wheel is too big, dash area is great, go the cut off option, like formula one racing cars.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

thats the shot, looks good i reckon, it would drive me nuts trying to look over , around and under a steering wheel. looks a strong steering wheel , not like the old ones , you hit a good wave and open your eyes and find no steering wheel left, only the bit held tightly in your hands.

spent most of the day with my grandson on the Broadwater, at first i thought 'i hate this steering wheel', more phsycological than anything. Any way by the end of the day I'm driving the boat not even thinking about the cut out section, didn't find any problem, felt as strong as prior to the cut out, vision was great so it looks like its a keeper. I realised throughout the day that swapping the higher dash to lower and vice versa probably wouldn't have been so good. the reason is that the top section is all vertical, whereas the lower dash with the sounder has a rake on it which makes it easier to read the sounder whilst standing at the helm. Thanks for your help guys, & especially Catshark who gave me the push i needed. Now if only i could catch some fish

If you dont have wheel creep then you could use a flat bottomed smaller wheel upside down? Make sure the boss pattern is the same.
    Kids who Hunt and Fish, Don't Deal and Steal.

Quote Originally Posted by Triple View Post
    If you dont have wheel creep then you could use a flat bottomed smaller wheel upside down? Make sure the boss pattern is the same.
    I was looking for a 10 inch wheel but found they are rare and usually only for go carts with a different boss pattern. The 13.5 inch wheel size is the most common, also its difficult to see in pics how effective the flat sections are.
    Now that I'm up and running, ill keep a look out for a manufactured one similar to my cut wheel.
    Its good to be able to sit & drive & still see a full screen, plus when fishing i can glance back at the sounder and view it fully, before i would have to walk back to the helm hop up and look down from a standing position.
    Without a full remanufacturing of the dash area as Noel suggested, i can't see any better solution than what i've now got, plus retaining the 13.5 inch wheel the turns are still the same.

Change the boss as well if you have too

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    Change the boss as well if you have too
    Thanks Scottar, i must admit i hadn't thought of that.

An update, i've reverted back to the original full steering wheel i just found it too distracting with the cut out, when driving i keep reaching for that missing part of the wheel.
    At least i can still view the full screen when driving standing. Thanks to all for your input.