Thread: NMEA 2000 question?? 175 Suzuki’s

NMEA 2000 question?? 175 Suzuki’s

Gday guys, just interested to pick your brains if you know anything anoint the NMEA 2000. I have been running the exact setup for the last 3 1/2 years and no issues so I am suspecting something has failed somewhere but can’t work out what?
    I am running twin 175 Suzuki’s with Garmin GMI10 gauges. I am getting the port engine information perfectly however don’t seem to be getting the starboard information? However, if the port engine is not on I am getting the starboard engine information displaying as the port engine? Very weird I know!!!!!!! If only 1 engine is engaged I am getting this info on the port section of the gauge, no matter which engine it is? I am running screens which display both engines on the same screen and also individual engines on different screens.

I was suspecting the starboard interface cable had failed however, if this was the case, why do I get the starboard info at all?

I was also suspecting just some sort of feedback through the port cable but even with the port interface disconnected I still get the starboard readings?

Any ideas??? Anything to check is appreciated.

Cheers
    Lee

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish mobile app
    The wait is finally over.........was worth every minute..........let the RIPTIDE rip..........hell yehhhh

NMEA 2000 question?? 175 Suzuki’s

Have you done a software update lately ?
    Maybe an update set the engine configuration up wrongly by default.
    If no update has been done I’d be checking the engine setup in your mfd/garmin.
    Try an auto engine setup if that fails manually set it up.
    Good luck.

Saltwater fishing, boat mad but has a job that gets in the way.

Re: NMEA 2000 question?? 175 Suzuki’s

Hi Evo, no mate no updates lately. I’ll look into the auto setup in the mfd, I had a bit of a look this afternoon for something like that but didn’t find anything. I was wondering how I did it from new but I will investigate that avenue further.
    Thanks for the advice
    Cheers
    Lee

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums
    The wait is finally over.........was worth every minute..........let the RIPTIDE rip..........hell yehhhh

The engines are designated by an "instance" setting. The probes will have a default setting that would require changing to suit a dual engine installation. One will be set to zero, the other will need to be set to one

Gday Scottar, is it possible that this could change randomly? I have used this setup faultlessly for 3 1/2 years? Is this setting something I could have accidentally changed and could change back to fix it or something a dealer has to fix? I just can’t get my head around the fact that the engines both read correctly when only one is running but can’t display them both simultaneously

Cheers
    Lee

It is possible. They are made by Navico so you will need a Lowrance or Simrad display to have a proper look at what is going on.

Thanks for this, I will book it in for a service and get this issue sorted at the same time. A bit over my depth I think.

Thanks again
    Lee

No worries Lee. Back on the computer so I can elaborate a bit now. As mentioned, the probes are a Navico product and as such require a Navico brand MFD or gauge in the installation to perform any programming - a MFD is the best option due to the user interface on the LMF series gauges being pretty bloody painful. Chances are that one of the probes has thrown a wobbly and simply reset itself - possibly caused by a voltage spike/drop but realistically until the fault can be reliably be reproduced under a set of circumstances it is anyones guess. Any time there are two or more of the same device in a NMEA2000 network, the "instance" setting is utilized to differentiate between the devices for the purpose of either seperating the data as in your situation or deciding which data is to given priority (such as when multiple GPS antennas are in the same network). All devices will have a default instance setting with programming required via a suitable means to change them. The most likely explanation is that via a reset, your starboard engine interface has returned to the default instance setting which corresponds to your port engine. You should be able to view a list of the devices on your network via the menu in the Garmin gauge - Menu>Setup>NMEA2000 Devices. Not sure what will be displayed or if it will shed any further light on your issue but worth a look.

Hi Scottar, that all makes sense.... I suspected a battery issue may have had some impact but wasn’t sure. Hopefully I can just get them reconfigured and it has not terminally failed and the issue will be sorted. I’ll let you know the outcome once sorted. Hoping for service work on the 24th of this month so hope to get sorted then. I have fixed the battery issue now that may have been the contributing factor.
    Thanks so much for your information.

Cheers
    Lee

Hi Scottar, I spoke with Jon Eadie today about the service and my NMEA issue. He has reiterated exactly what you said about the default. He has said normally a uninstall / reinstall fixes this issue and that it is not uncommon.

Thanks again for you help and I’ll let you know the exact outcome after the 24th of July.

Cheers
    Lee

A twin engine setup that loses the starboard engine data is usually because the network configuration has been lost and it now thinks it is onlt communicating to 1 engine instead of 2.

This simply means that the network must be re-set up as having 2 engines to communicate with.

If it is not set up that way or it loses that config, it defaults to only seeing the port engine when 2 engines are connected and running at the same time. The giveaway of this condition is that it will show starboard engine data when the port engine key is off.

Its fairly easy to redo the config using a HDS or Simrad MFD. Followed by doing a auto-detect of data sources.

Anyway JE will sort it out in short order for you.
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....