Thread: Listing Problems- Volvo Penta Tabs/Lenco trim tabs

Ausfish Bronze Member
    Blog Entries

Listing Problems- Volvo Penta Tabs/Lenco trim tabs

Hi Everyone

Just after a bit of advice as my new boat is doing my head in. I had a new plate alloy boat built last year and had volvo penta tabs installed on the advice of the boat builder because it fitted his transom easy and he advised me they worked well. I find with my boat I am constantly listing towards port side so am constantly running with at least half the portside tab dug in all the time even on a glassed out day with no wind. I presume this has something to do with prop torgue. Also with volvo penta tabs you press the button and it seems to be either too much or not enough trim. I am constantly trying to keep the boat level even in a flat sea. I presume part of the problem is caused by prop torque. I have a 25kg block of lead in the back starboard corner and fill the live bait tank with water to help a bit.

My question is will Lenco trim tabs with a bigger plate area help this problem? Or will fitting the self levelling device to the volvo penta tabs help. Very greatful for any advice given.

Thanks again

Re: Listing Problems- Volvo Penta Tabs/Lenco trim tabs

First off you need to make sure it's not something causing the list,like motor install or something with the hull, is the leg a Duoprop? it takes a hell of a lot of weight to counteract torque, trim tabs are your friend, that's what they are made for, but, it shouldn't be too difficult to trim for flat running.

Ausfish Bronze Member
    Blog Entries

Hi Noelm

No its a single 225 Suzuki. Plate alloy hard top. Had bennet's on my last rig and they were great. Worked a lot better at low speeds as well.

I'm having a stab in the dark here but are u possibly going faster than the hull is rated causing it to flop on to one side of the bottom?

are your tabs wired up correctly L and R to the controls? if your right tab is down its going to push the left side of the boat down and vise versa for the other side

also having your motor trimmed all the way in can cause your boat to flop on one side at a good speed and it is scary

Ausfish Bronze Member
    Blog Entries

Hi Gazza

No mate not breaking any speed records. Its happening at general cruise speed (35-45 kp/h) Yes the tabs are wired up exactly as per specs and installed by Bayside Suzuki so they are functioning correctly. I generally trim the motor right out and use the tabs for trimming the boat level.

What do you mean "trim the motor right out"? have you tried running the motor trimmed differently? I guess the motor has one of those little trim fins on the cav plate? if so, perhaps try adjusting it, maybe it's pointed one way and you are correcting the steering to over come it, causing the problem? all these things are just wild guesses, but all are simple, no cost things to try.

Quote Originally Posted by Danstu View Post
    Hi Gazza

No mate not breaking any speed records. Its happening at general cruise speed (35-45 kp/h) Yes the tabs are wired up exactly as per specs and installed by Bayside Suzuki so they are functioning correctly. I generally trim the motor right out and use the tabs for trimming the boat level.
    Hi Guys
    I have a similar problem with my 6.2 alloy CC / 150 Suzuki rig. In dead flat conditions it leans to port and I need to use the port trim tab 2-3 bars to level boat at cruise speed. No problem going into chop or following sea. Any thoughts greatly appreciated. Cheers SS

Sent from my LG-H815 using Ausfish mobile app

I would go out in the boat get your boat up on the plane adjust your motors trim angle than adjust your trim tabs now dont touch anything and return to the ramp pull her out of the water and take a look at what angle your motor is at is the cav plate level or slightly up to the hull, are both trim tabs level or offset to each other? looking at it like this u can probably figure it out pretty quick

Got any photo's ? What transducer set up ? Hull been checked for hook's etc? Has the motor height been checked to make sure it's not too low? 30 odd kilo's in one corner is a lot of weight.

Ausfish Bronze Member
    Blog Entries

Hi Scottar
    Will upload some photos in the next couple of days. Thanks for the help

Ausfish Bronze Member
    Blog Entries

Hi Alchemy
    I have read your thread and was wondering if going to the lencos would be the solution. It was a good read mate. My problem will be getting them to fit the transom.