Thread: Squid

Squid

Plenty of squid around Peel Saturday night. Tried a couple of different spots and managed to get a technique that worked. Never targeted them before so it was something different for a change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Squid

Them 3 big fat ones are like a armour guard truck u can either use them whole as live bait ot bedt to put them back they are cuttle fish easy to catch to, great squid haul mate

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    Them 3 big fat ones are like a armour guard truck u can either use them whole as live bait ot bedt to put them back they are cuttle fish easy to catch to, great squid haul mate
    Plan on using them all but the biggest squid as whole baits at 1770 in August.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The cuttlefish are far superior eating to squid (which I also LOVE).

Quote Originally Posted by drpete View Post
    What part do u get to eat? i use to target squid a lot and caught a few cuttle fish but found they were all shell and no meat to use for either bait or to eat

Quote Originally Posted by drpete View Post
    Absolutely. Nothing wrong with a feed of fresh cuttlefish at all...……..apart from the ink. They make squid look like rank amateurs when it comes to making a mess. Scored with a cross pattern and pan fried until they curl - yummmmmm.

Just eat the hood the same as squid. Remove the cuttle, then the guts and the skin. Cut off the two long reacher tentacles and freeze them in a plastic container for whiting bait. Freeze the heads separately as reef fish bait (best you'll ever use). Then just crosshatch and strip the hood to eat. Absolutely delicious. They are WAY messier to clean though so better to do them while you're still on the drink. WAY more ink too.