Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sikaflex transducer Mount

Sikaflex transducer Mount

Hi,

So I’ve heard you can use sika flex to stick your transducer mount to the back of the boat, anyone got any experience and how did it fair?

Boat does 37 kmh so it needs to hang on

Just want to put a small sounder in my 350 explorer, but I have a hole phobia

Cheers !

Re: Sikaflex transducer Mount

Probably be OK....for a while, but in the end, it will tear off.

Ausfish Platinum Member

just sikaflexing the actual mount to the ali will work for a while, but, as Noelm says, it will eventually come off. You can get it to stay on longer by increasing the surface bond area by using the sika to glue something with more surface area to the transom, then screwing the mount to that. Marine ply is as good as anything, will last for years. But it all depends on the actual surface area--you'll need a piece, say, 200 or 250 square to get a real solid bond. Ally to ally bonds with sika are very good, but you need a piece thick enough to get your screws tapped into without drilling into the transom, which you were trying to avoid.

Ranmar is on the money heaps of people sika there transducers to hulls but it will eventually come off, use a nice piece of plastic chopping board or the plywood as Ranmar mentioned, once every six months or so use some fishing braided line to cut the sikaflex off and re-glue it sure beats drilling holes in transoms

my boat i am rebuilding will have no transom holes i will glue a block of wood onto the transom for the pumps and transducer itsbetter for resale value to in case the new buyer doesn't need a fish finder and wants to use the boat for sporting activities etc..

I was also thinking of buying one of those adjustable transducer brackets they sell (BCF), maybe sikaflex that on, a lot more surface area to bond with.

The cutting board idea sounds like a good one, some hi density poly would be good, be easy to get an offcutt from the plastic shop.

I do find it hard to believe sika flex would come off though like you guys have said, the bond if quite unbelievable in my experience.

But any others with personnel experience and have seen sika flex peel of I’d love to here.

Quote Originally Posted by unchainedjenner View Post
    I was also thinking of buying one of those adjustable transducer brackets they sell (BCF), maybe sikaflex that on, a lot more surface area to bond with.

The cutting board idea sounds like a good one, some hi density poly would be good, be easy to get an offcutt from the plastic shop.

I do find it hard to believe sika flex would come off though like you guys have said, the bond if quite unbelievable in my experience.

But any others with personnel experience and have seen sika flex peel of I’d love to here.
    please yourself whether you stick it on or not, you asked a question, got answers that perhaps you didn't expect, but don't let that stop you, stick it on! from personal experience, it WILL come off with time, Sika is a great product, no one is saying it's not, but, as a "glue" to hold on a transducer, it's not ideal

All good mate, there’s a few different types, some are better for adhesion, if you say you’ve had them fall off I take you word for it.

I had one of those adjustable brackets for bait tank pumps and transducers i used mine so i could take my whole fish finder off the boat and into the house so it wouldn't get pinched, they really have no purpose if u are not going to remove it as it will work like just screwing or gluing on the transducer

think from memory my position set screw rusted but this was 8 years ago they may have changed now

so you got a 350 explorer, whats the stern hieght from top to bottom? perhaps an alternative is to make a bracket, fix the mount to the bracket and then hook the bracket over the top of the transom, i imagine this bracket would like a big tent peg . but in SHS say 30x30mm and then you could sika this longer surface area down the back of the stern. little bit out there thinking but this may trigger a better idea, good luck

I used a section of interior bifold door track that I screwed to the motor pad (10 mm Seaboard ) with several small self tappers. 19mm ? alloy tube fits neatly into it and the height is set via a hole and an R clip. Totally removable, solid as a rock and can be retracted easily if necessary.

If the hull is not painted and is only bare ally you could take it to an ally welder and have a bracket welded onto the boat so you could attach the transducer to the bracket as they do with new boats. If your boat was painted though it would involve re-painting .

I was going to suggest that too, but in the end, if it's painted, a couple of holes, properly done will not be a problem.

Hey thanks guys, it’s not painted, just an aluminium hull, so I think I’ll just get a transducer bracket welded on, just do it properly and once, I’ll get a mount welded inside the boat aswell For head unit, it will look better and won’t have to worry about anything falling off.

I spoke to alloy welding shop this morning and can get both jobs done for $100-$150.

Hopefully pick up a little lowrance hook or Garmin striker on special and get the whole job done for under $400

$150 to weld on a bracket is very steep thats a $50 job

That for a transducer Mount and a head unit mount in side the boat, he said between $100 - $150, can’t be sure till he looks at the boat