Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sikaflex transducer Mount

Re: Sikaflex transducer Mount

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    $150 to weld on a bracket is very steep thats a $50 job
    The word BOAT or Marine is the giveaway here!

$150 is cheap for a qualified welder... i'd pay that any day of the week, you get what you pay for... I would stay well away from anyone charging $50 to do that job.

sounds like the best option to weld a bracket, get the pro to do it, job done then no more thinking about it . would or did he tell you it be MIG or TIG, id pay that anyhow for that job.

I sikaflexed on some 15mm HDPE to mount my Raymarine RV transducer (upper end of the scale as far as transducer size goes from what I've seen), works very well. Key is to ensure you get a good covering of Sika on the back of the board after thoroughly cleaning it (and the hull) with a suitable solvent. You need a good 5-6mm thickness of Sika to ensure you accommodate for any variances in the straightness of the alloy and achieve an even bond. Also good to ensure you get decent bead 'pushed out' evenly around the edges which tells you there are no cavities behind that can attract water/debris. Screw the transducer to the HDPE and away you go.

Lastly, I would advise using a far larger piece of HDPE than you need (in relation to the size of the transducer mount), more surface area = better bond strength.
    Attachment 117328

Why not drill two holes and use screws with nylocs. $3.00!!

I have always done it this way , but used marine ply treated with a waterproofing paint, currently I have a total scan screwed to the ply and have total confidence in the holding power of the SIKA to the ply!
    on another note I have a 3D transducer on a SeaSucker transom mount that I am yet to try, I have used these on a removable bait board that was used on my last Northwest trip did not move for six days of fishing in over 38 deg temps. from me!!

Quote Originally Posted by unchainedjenner View Post
    Hi,

So I’ve heard you can use sika flex to stick your transducer mount to the back of the boat, anyone got any experience and how did it fair?

Boat does 37 kmh so it needs to hang on

Just want to put a small sounder in my 350 explorer, but I have a hole phobia

Cheers !