Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 36
  1. #1

    Prado Petrol to diesel - what would I notice?

    I've had a 4L V6 petrol Prado for the past 15 years, its been bloody awesome. To me cars are simply a consumable item to get from one place to another not an obsession or hobby...I have used the Prdao for some light 4WD adventures, dessert trips through the red center, sand driving on the local islands and it now tows the boat on the odd occasion I get to use it.......OK so wanting to get a new one but now they are only available in diesel 2.8L

    Apart from the significantly reduced range moving from a 180L to a 87L tank what other things would I notice having never had diesel car before? Appreciate diesel have more low down torque whch may be useful towing the boat up hills but the petrol tows well enough but 4L v vs 2.8L 4cyl, am I going to be dissapointed in the overall performance?

  2. #2
    Ausfish Silver Member 552Evo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Melbourne

    Re: Prado Petrol to diesel - what would I notice?

    My 2 personal dislikes for diesel are
    1 - service costs, for example get an idea what the injectors cost to replace. That is $$$$.
    2 - the diesels Iíve driven, the power is there but itís spongy, like it has a delay. Take one for a test drive and get an idea.

    Iím sure one hers will chime in about the positives.

    The modern diesels have a lot of ďextrasĒ to make them drive better. For me thatís another negative.

    Also decide if you want a manual or auto and agin test drive it.



    Saltwater fishing, boat mad but has a job that gets in the way.

  3. #3
    Ausfish Addict Chimo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Gold Coast

    Re: Prado Petrol to diesel - what would I notice?

    Are you sure you want a Prado?

    There are alternatives ........................

    What do you want from your next vehicle?

    Specify please..
    What could go wrong.......................

  4. #4

    Re: Prado Petrol to diesel - what would I notice?

    At a guess, your fuel economy will be much better with the diesel but the petrol will be nicer to drive.

    Good chance the petrol motor will outlast the diesel these days, the diesel will cost you a fortune if anything goes wrong with it out if warranty, and there is a lot to go wrong with highly strung modern diesels.

  5. #5

    Re: Prado Petrol to diesel - what would I notice?

    Quote Originally Posted by Chimo View Post
    Are you sure you want a Prado?

    There are alternatives ........................

    What do you want from your next vehicle?

    Specify please..
    Just being brand loyal I guess since had such a good run with toyota's, also got a Kluger which I would trade in...
    - Towing the boat (~2.5MT)
    - Day to day city driving
    - Some beach / light 4wd



    Quote Originally Posted by ben475 View Post
    At a guess, your fuel economy will be much better with the diesel but the petrol will be nicer to drive.

    Good chance the petrol motor will outlast the diesel these days, the diesel will cost you a fortune if anything goes wrong with it out if warranty, and there is a lot to go wrong with highly strung modern diesels.
    Nicer to drive, that's what I was worried about....

  6. #6
    Ausfish Addict Chimo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Gold Coast

    Re: Prado Petrol to diesel - what would I notice?

    Crunchy

    Have you jooked at the Isuzu MUX?
    7 seats if you want that many or a lot of space in the back using only five
    The ute version has five seats and leaf springs at the rear and tows 3500 kg


    3000kg towing. 6 speed auto 7 8 9 l per 100 km diesel Honest uncomplicated truck based motor.
    The grey nomads seem to like them for van towing and circuit work ie the big lap towing

    Check out some of the grey nomad chat sites etc

    Coil springs so comfortable ride https://www.isuzuute.com.au/isuzu-de...QAvD_BwE#deal9

    I was considering them as a maybe but my Patrol 4.2 td is only just run in so to speak

    Thoughts?
    What could go wrong.......................

  7. #7

    Re: Prado Petrol to diesel - what would I notice?

    Quote Originally Posted by Chimo View Post
    Crunchy

    Have you jooked at the Isuzu MUX?
    7 seats if you want that many or a lot of space in the back using only five
    The ute version has five seats and leaf springs at the rear and tows 3500 kg


    3000kg towing. 6 speed auto 7 8 9 l per 100 km diesel Honest uncomplicated truck based motor.
    The grey nomads seem to like them for van towing and circuit work ie the big lap towing

    Check out some of the grey nomad chat sites etc

    Coil springs so comfortable ride https://www.isuzuute.com.au/isuzu-de...QAvD_BwE#deal9

    I was considering them as a maybe but my Patrol 4.2 td is only just run in so to speak

    Thoughts?
    Hold onto the 4.2.
    The isuzu motor is probably the best diesel motor at the moment.

  8. #8
    Ausfish Addict Chimo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Gold Coast

    Re: Prado Petrol to diesel - what would I notice?

    That is the plan Ben475
    Agree with you on the Isuzu motor. its in a lot of trucks too.
    What could go wrong.......................

  9. #9

    Re: Prado Petrol to diesel - what would I notice?

    I have just gone for a 200 after owning four Prado's, all diesel, the first 120 and then the 3l D4D's. Never had a problem with any of them and ran them all well out of warranty. Are you looking at an Altitude, given you mention the fuel capacity of 87 litres, as oppposed to 145 litres in the rest of them ( I think). I have just bought my business partner the VX and its a nice car to drive. I have only ever driven the petrol through NZ and it does have a truckload more grunt and acceleration than the diesel but you do pay for it at the pump.
    What I don't like is the reducing engine capacity with apparently higher Kw / torque figures. Its a race to the bottom squeezing more out of smaller motors, thats why the LC and Patrols I think last alot longer, lazier larger motors that don't need to work as hard.

    Things you can't beat with the Prado are IMO reliability, resale value and they are a very able 4WD.

    I've never driven one but don't have anything against the Pajero or an MUX, infact the Isuzu motor punches well above it weight, either, and you'll probably have a lot of change in your pocket on one of those as opposed to a Prado.

  10. #10

    Re: Prado Petrol to diesel - what would I notice?

    stick with petrol unless you are always hauling heavy gear, these smaller but high output diesels coming out of europe are timebombs, throw away motors that wont last as long as the older generation motors. i recently sold a new model diesel because of the agricultral noise hearing it everyday was nuts., i mean they all do the job but weigh up the pros and cons as stated above, having driven most diesels in the work , i will say nothing can touch a LC 200, followed by Hilux. if you do get a diesel, suggest you fit a water in fuel alarm as this is what destroys most new common rail engines, my older 80 series cruiser would still eat most 4x4 today. todays equivalent is LC200... Nothing wrong with the 4ltr prado , id own one in a heartbeat.

  11. #11

    Re: Prado Petrol to diesel - what would I notice?

    I've had both a 120 prado in petrol and I've now got a 3L diesel prado. Towed the old boat with them both. The petrol was way better for towing the boat but this said the diesel was totally workable for the 2 tonne load. Now i'm in he process of going to a 2.8Tonne BMT and not really wanting to go to a 200 series. Will likely come down to the new prado (3 tonne rated), pajero or ford Everest, later 2 with 3.2's so probably better than the prado for power. I'm disappointed that you cant get the petrol prado anymore as it would have been just the ticket for my next boat!

  12. #12

    Re: Prado Petrol to diesel - what would I notice?

    Quote Originally Posted by Out-Station View Post
    I've had both a 120 prado in petrol and I've now got a 3L diesel prado. Towed the old boat with them both. The petrol was way better for towing the boat but this said the diesel was totally workable for the 2 tonne load. Now i'm in he process of going to a 2.8Tonne BMT and not really wanting to go to a 200 series. Will likely come down to the new prado (3 tonne rated), pajero or ford Everest, later 2 with 3.2's so probably better than the prado for power. I'm disappointed that you cant get the petrol prado anymore as it would have been just the ticket for my next boat!
    A few years ago there was a rumour that the new diesel Prado was going to be a 6 cylinder turbo developed with BMW. It apparently got buried by euro emission laws, but I reckon it would have gone pretty close to the performance numbers of the 200. If they went down that road I would still definately be driving a Prado.

  13. #13

    Re: Prado Petrol to diesel - what would I notice?

    yes dont know what happen with that merger of BMW powerplant for toyota, from what ive been told, holden colorado has a fiat diesel, and ford ranger has a volvo diesel (5cylnder).........had a fellow i know show me his brand new 4x4 for 28k it was the new chinese model, i said your crazy for buying that, he replied he bought it for the engine itself which is a American (cummins 2.8 diesel), take a look at the engine before you talk anymore, he says and i must say i never saw a truck fan belt in a 4x4 before, the engine did look good, but the sound was agrigcultral.

  14. #14

    Re: Prado Petrol to diesel - what would I notice?

    Damn shame they have dropped the Petrol. I bought mine in 2012 and at the time my two brothers owned the petrol and my uncle had the diesel. There is no comparison for driving day to day the Petrol was by far better. Having said that it was not great on fuel ( approx 20 litres per 100 towing 1800kg. If there were a v6 diesel option I would have been all over it. I note now they are using the 2.8 I feel they have really messed this up and will continue to loose sales to other manufacturers. l love my car 180k not one single issue I will not be replacing it until they put a decent engine in the new one


    Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums

  15. #15

    Re: Prado Petrol to diesel - what would I notice?

    One from left field if you really prefer the petrol. Consider "upgrading"to a second hand LC200 petrol. The resale on them is pretty poor against the diesel and as such there are some good bargains out there.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Join us