Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Captain#The Abalone men of Mallacoota#sharkcats/cootacraft

Re: The Captain#The Abalone men of Mallacoota#sharkcats/cootacraft

they definetly do like the deep vee hull shape, 22-24 degrees, would be to much rocka rolla for me but i gotta say the VILLAN is a mean lookin boat.

Yeha in that video i linked of the son talking he mentioned the Trophy is for fishing and the Coota is for business

i remember watching Abalone Wars on TV the first or second season one of the divers lost his life to a white pointer i donno if this was the bloke but i recall one of them mentioning a diver had his head bitten off, what a way to die that thought has traumatized me from just hearing it, my greatest fear is White Pointers.. second is dying lol

Ausfish Platinum Member

When I started in Port Lincoln in 1975, the bloke I worked most with was in a relationship with Terry Manuel's widow. Terry had been literally bitten in half by a pointer up towards Streaky bay, the sheller just pulled in half his body attached to the hose. But for all the time I spent in the water for those 18 months or so I was doing it, I never saw one. Thankfully. It got spooky late in the afternoon, visiblity not good,as the sun dropped; gloomy down there, you were tired and cold. The biggest scare I had was a big dark shape fly by me in those conditions. Bloody dolphin. There were no attacks in those years whilst I was there, although I do remember a diver talking about jumping in the water at Point Drummond, finding half a seal still bleeding, and getting straight out again. The first shark cage was developed at that time, I remember Donny Morrison laughing about the $10,000 grant he got from the SA gov to develop it.
    When I returned for a quick visit in 1982, they were all using them.

Ausfish Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by catshark View Post
    they definetly do like the deep vee hull shape, 22-24 degrees, would be to much rocka rolla for me but i gotta say the VILLAN is a mean lookin boat.

it actually doesn't speak to me as a fishing boat--but it screams at me as FUN!

read about port lincoln having big whites, fat tuna and so on, chilling story about the unfortunate diver, i just cant comprehend, imagine seeing a dark shape, having to control your breathing as panic starts for fear a toothy is close . just seeing the old wetsuits back in the day , completely black and no bloody wonder the shark thinks it sees a seal .

Ausfish Platinum Member

From what I can gather, it's the ones you don't see that get you. Great whites attack fast when they are actually feeding--there are so many videos of them just gliding past divers with no intent, and most attack survivors saw nothing before they were hit. Tigers, on the other hand, will circle and circle, before they decide it's safe to feed.

Yep. When I was in Freo I did a lot of rec diving for crays - lucky enough to never get buzzed but I became pretty good mates with the owner of the dive shop. Every year there were divers that sat back to back with their buddy watching a white doing circle work for a while before swimming off without ever really having a go - just having a look. I used to hate it when we popped up too far from the boat to go back down and swim back - just had to roll on your back and pray that if they had a go, they hit the hard crunchy bit on your back rather than your legs - totally not a cool feeling.

chilling indeed, fremantle and cottlesloe have there own reputation for the whites as well , never did set foot in the water when i was over there. interesting how a tiger will circle and circle and a white will just hit, theses days with diver charters , what safe guards are there to prevent a incident, like are the wetsuits colored like poisoned sea snakes or is there a under water taser tool, or does everyone just carry a trusty dagger to defend themselves.

Banded wetsuit is as old as the hills. There's a photo of Valerie Taylor in one when she was very young. Doesn't work

Basically none. The dive industry has suffered massively in Perth in recent years on the back of semi regular attacks. There was an attack on a "swim with the dolphins" tour guide in Rockingham a while after we left W.A. - luckily she lived .
    After watching "Air Jaws" and other associated documentaries on feeding modes of great whites, I really doubt that any shark "deterrent" would be effective against a shark in full on feeding mode if you are on the surface with the speed they hit at. If it was in an exploratory (bite it to see what it is and if I can eat it) type situation something like a Shark Shield probably will help.

Quote Originally Posted by ranmar850 View Post
    From what I can gather, it's the ones you don't see that get you. Great whites attack fast when they are actually feeding--there are so many videos of them just gliding past divers with no intent, and most attack survivors saw nothing before they were hit. Tigers, on the other hand, will circle and circle, before they decide it's safe to feed.
    I wouldn't get too complacent about that. I've observed Tiger's stalking prey from well outside the field of vision of the fish it was watching. As soon as they drift just a little bit too far from shelter the tiger hits top speed in a second and blows them out of the water just like a white does. I've also seen them completely beach themselves at top speed chasing rays after sunset on the West beach at Fraser.
    nil carborundum illegitimi

I don't think there is any man made devices that will stop a White Pointer attacking once its in strike mode its all over, those shocking devices probably just piss the shark off even more a mere deterant that is why the Whites are so renowned as apex predators in the ocean

Ausfish Platinum Member

Don't get the idea I'm complacent about tigers, I'm not. They are just stone cold killers-- I'd liken them to a crocodile, they are happy to spend time sizing things up before attacking on their terms. Very cautious. I'd hardly ever seen them off the boat when I was crayfishing for a living--you'd have swarms of whalers fighting over the old bait you were throwing over, never have a tiger join in. Then I got a boat with a flybridge, and started seeing a lot more --they'd be on the surface ahead of the boat, and slowly sink as you approached, hard to see from sea level, easier from up on the bridge.