Thread: New Boat new rego, #@$! new number?

New Boat new rego, #@$! new number?

Displaced Yank here. Live in Qld, just bought a 22' cruiser from Newcastle, had it shipped up. Today I find out that I have to re-register the boat, which results in the boat being assigned a new rego.

Seriously?? This sounds absurd to me. Taking off old number on a fibreglass boat leaves behind shadows of the old number, so then the gelcoat needs to be buffed...so then a whole patch of hull will have a different shade (until I leave the boat out in the sun many months to allow for oxidation to dullen the patch...)

I saw an old thread here that talked about personalize registration, but NSW has a different number of letters and end in 'N' while according to the thread, QLD has a strict 2 letter followed by 3 numbers followed by 'Q'.

Is there any way to keep an old out-of-state rego absent setting up a shell residence in NSW?
    Or tips on how to change the number on the hull without aesthetically making a mess?

Re: New Boat new rego, #@$! new number?

The numbers are also on the bow in NSW and near the stern in QLD, it's just one of those strange things, the trailer rego will also need to be changed.

There is a way of keeping your number if it’s a expired QLD rego but I think you’re out of luck with the NSW numbers.

If the boat is fairly badly faded I would remove the numbers and give the outside a wet sand before cutting and polishing. Would probably also speed the process of getting the fading unnoticeable.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Its not called the United States of Australia for a reason!

Yep silly and annoying along with a lot of other subtle law, policy etc differences between states here. But I would have thought the US to have greater diff's between states?

Get a custom rego sticker with a back ground or get a custom rego number and use your NSW rego lol

New Qld rego is three letters and two numbers then a Q now!

im thinking if you have a good friend who lives in NSW , you just say the vessel is garaged at that address and you make regular trips to QLD of course. it used to be the case that with Car registration many people owned a car with Victoria rego because it was cheaper than the other states and not need roadworthy every year, all you need was some one to help you out with the address. same goes with the trailer rego , as long as its no longer than three months permantly in Qld than who is too counter check your claim that it hasnt been..

Yeah, you could do that, but why not just do what you have to do and register it properly? it's not that hard!

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    Yeah, you could do that, but why not just do what you have to do and register it properly? it's not that hard!
    I think he is worried about ascetics of peeling off the old number from the bow and placing the new number on the back sides, the boat is faded and he doesn't want to polish it

[QUOTE=pittelli;1644561]Displaced Yank here. Live in Qld, just bought a 22' cruiser from Newcastle, had it shipped up. Today I find out that I have to re-register the boat, which results in the boat being assigned a new rego.

Lol ..when I quickly read your post ..misread the start are disgraced yank!!!

Sorry so say have done this in reverse ..bringing a qld rego boat to Vic...10 years on you can still pick the old rego numbers in the right light...I suspect the only way out would be a two pack hull job and thats not going to happen...

I still reckon just do it properly, you could root around getting a NSW address, resending rego papers when they get sent to the NSW address, and tell the authorities you are only here on holidays, yet you have QLD license and car rego....OR, just do it, then spend an hour cutting and polishing the hull and go boating.

Blush!!
    Because I wouldn't be able to see the shadows when I'm fishing I wouldn't worry about them.

I would be more worried about going the whole NSW in QLD rego than maritime or the police pull u up and check your license details and see u live in QLD than tell u to change rego it would be a waste of money and time

We moved our boat from NSW to Qld, we were given option (that we took) of
    changing last character from 'N' to 'Q' (& had to remove a 1 at the start),
    ... everything else unchanged.
    Transire vinus forticulus